Beat by list

SJDinPHX

Suspended
This is my "Beaten by" list. It is almost as long as my "Beat list," which if anything, tells you that I liked to play, and would play anybody, and my bankroll was at risk every time I got down. Plus, as you can see, beating me only insured you a replay. For example, Vernon Eliot got to strum on me an awful lot before I finally got to beat him. One guy who is not on the list, I never beat, Polack Vince The Killer. We started playing, him spotting me 8 to 5. I lost every time. Then 8 to 6. Never won. Then 8 to 7. Still no good. Finally, even up. I had improved enough that I could now win, but he managed to hang on and only break even. He never played me again. George Fels chronicled my wars with Vince in a Billiard Digest article.

Al Racine Al Miller
Alphonso Fonzi Daniels
Alton Babyface Whitlow
Artie Smartie Artie Bodendorfer
Baltimore Buddy Dennis
Benny Goose Conway
Bill Cardone, Pittsburgh Billy Incardona
Bill Mielke — 9 ball
Billy Joss West Stroud
Black Iceman from LA
Bob Black Bart, Bob Ogburn
Bobby Hunter
Brooklyn Charlie
Bruce One Pocket Ghost Perri
California John Mc Cue
California Shorty
Cecil Rifleman, Buddy Hall
Cecil The Left Duke Tugwell
Champagne Eddie Kelly
Charlie left handed from Ky. Jones
Chicago Paul Jones
Chris Gentile
Chris MacDonald
Chubby Chino, Chicago Chino
Chuey Rivera
Cliff Spotmaster Joyner
Clyde Childress
Country Calvin Hargrove
Crazy Frank from Buffalo
Dallas West
Danny Buffalo Kid Di Liberto
Danny Medina
Dave Yeager
Denny Searcy
Diamond Bill Cress
Dick Weaver
Don Preacher Feeney
Don Rose
Don Waterdog Edwards
Donnie Anderson
Earl The Pearl Strickland
Eddie from Milwaukee Matthews
Eddie The Hat Burton
Edgar Shake and Bake White
Efren Bata, The Magician Reyes
Elihu Alley-Oop O'Rear
Fat Glen Knowles
Floyd Baxter
Frank Bananas Rodriguiz
Frank Sailor Stellman
Freddy New Orleans Sessions
Frisco Jack Cooney
Gary Pinkowski
Gary Spaeth
Gene The Glove Catrone
George Brunt
George Michaels
George Pawalski
Glen Piggy Banks Rogers
Grady Professor Mathews
Greg Big Train Stevens
Handsome Danny Jones
Harry Poochie Sexton
Harry the Horse McConnell
Hippie Cole Dickson
Hippie Jimmy Marino
Hippie Jimmy Reid
Hound Dog Calhoun
Howard The Coward Meechum
Ike Runnels
Isadore Pony Rosen
Jaffar Patch Eye, Henry Chapman Basheer
James the sniper Christopher
James Youngblood Brown
Jamie Red Rifle Farrell
Jeff Carter
Jerry Prado
Jimmy Flyboy Spears
Jimmy Pretty Boy Floyd Mataya
Jimmy The Kid Wetch
Joe Cognoscenti Gold
Joe Philly Ross
Joe Rocha
Joe The Grinder/ The Back Solomon
Joey Cincinnati Kid Spaeth
John Abruzzo
John Drew Hagar
one pocket
John Red Shoes Zaksas
Johnny Boy Skinner
Johnny Lefty, Cannonball Chapman
Jose Amang, Little Giant Parica
Junior Weldon
Keith Earthquake, Ether McCready
Keith Young Squirrel Thompson
Kenny Romburg Remus
King James Rempe
Kokomo Joe Ross
Larry Boston Shorty Johnson
Larry Iceman Hubbart
Larry Swartz
Leon Ledford
Leonard Bugs Rucker
Little Al Romero
Louie (Allingers Philly) Esposito
Marcel Camp
Marco The Snake Marquez
Marvin Pittsburg Flash Henderson
Melvin Strawberry Brooks
Mexican Johnny Vasquez
Michael Geese Gerace
Mike Babyface Gulyassy
Mike Bandy
Mike Captain Hook Sigel
Mike Carella
Mike Shoes Gambony
New York Harry Cohen
Nick Varner
One-eyed Jesse Webb
Paul Doc Brienza
Peter Rabbit Linhard
Petey Fusco
Pittsburgh John Stapoli
Ray Booth
Rich Geiler
Richard Rocketman Slupik
Robert Cotton LeBlanc
Rodney Babe Thompson
Roger The Rocket Griffis
Ronnie Fast Eddie Allen
Ronnie The Hat, Bald Eagle Mayes
Rudolfo Boy Sampson Luat
Scott Kitto
Seattle Joe, Tracy Joe Salazar

Shannon, The Cannon, Daulton
Spanish Mike LeBron
St. Louis Louie Roberts
Steve Cookie Monster Cook
Steve Lizard Smith
Steve Miz Mizerak
Three- finger Ronnie Sypher
Tom Karabatsos
Tom Spencer
Tommy The Sailor Kramer
Tony Banks Coleman
Tony Fargo Ferguson
ToughTony Brewer
Toupee Jay Helfert (1 tournament only)
Vernon Eliot
Vince Pancho Carelli
Wade Billy Johnson Crane
Wendell Weir
Willie Munson

Beard

Apologies to those minions that I have forgotten or put out of my mind.

Could we please have an asterisk (*) next to the ones who completely destroyed you, while emptying you out ?...(AFTER laying down a little 'spread')....:lol

PS..I see you have not yet complied with Calired's request, for "*" on your b--t list, so I am assuming your "*/8" button is still functional..:D :p :D

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Completely different person

Completely different person

Freddie, I thought Harry the Horse was Harry Aproff of Detroit sometimes called Horse Face Harry. Also, don't tell me you beat Harry Sexton at 9 ball.

Harry the Horse McConnell was a West coast hi-roller. Well known. Horse Face Harry was a Detroit local yokel.

Petie, did you miss the original point of the post. Those were people that had beat me at one time or another. Where did I say I ever beat, or even played Poochie 9 ball? We did play banks, however.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Were you really a hustler?

Were you really a hustler?

Could we please have an asterisk (*) next to the ones who completely destroyed you, while emptying you out ?...(AFTER laying down a little 'spread')....:lol

To infer that the aforementioned pool players "laid down spreads" and lost money to me in the hopes of a later score, just shows real naivete. You were just kidding, right?
You can probably count on the fingers of Three-Fingered Ronnie's hand the amount of pool hustlers that would actually lose money to someone and then hope to make a big score later.
Only a few would layoff bankroll and then hope they didnt get knocked before the next play.
East Coast hustlers wouldn't let you win the first game, let alone let you hold their cheese overnight.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended

To infer that the aforementioned pool players "laid down spreads" and lost money to me in the hopes of a later score, just shows real naivete. You were just kidding, right?

East Coast hustlers wouldn't let you win the first game, let alone let you hold their cheese overnight.

Beard

I am surprised, at your age, you aren't aware of the myriad ways, of "laying down a spread"...(talk about naive)
The 'spreader' doesn't even have to play the 'spreadee' (YOU)...They can play, and lose a little, to someone, anyone, who plays under you...(even maybe their partner) All that is required, is your attendance, or word of the event by a trusted "Pool Detective"...;)

I will concede it is not likely in the 'instant information age' we now live in...But you were around a long time before that, weren't you ?..Sooo, are you are denying the inevitable may have occured (more than once)...:frus :sorry

PS..Your 'beat by' list, looks like a carbon copy of your 'b**t list...Did you waste your entire pool carreer 'breaking even' ??? JK JK JK..:p

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Re: Freddy's "beaten" list

Re: Freddy's "beaten" list

Freddy,

I see a couple of my buddies from the NW made the list. Rich Geiler and Bill Cress. No Dan Louie? He certainly wasn't a road player, but neither was RIchie though, right?

Can you tell me a story in regards to anything you remember about Bill Cress and Rich Geiler?

Also a guy that hung around a lot with Bill and even went on the road I think with Cole, was Mike Zimmerman. You ever have any run ins with him? Or know him? he was a helluva player too.

Kudo's to you offering up a "been beaten by" list. Bill S's is only what.. 4 long?:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Freddy,

I see a couple of my buddies from the NW made the list. Rich Geiler and Bill Cress. No Dan Louie? He certainly wasn't a road player, but neither was RIchie though, right?

Can you tell me a story in regards to anything you remember about Bill Cress and Rich Geiler?

Also a guy that hung around a lot with Bill and even went on the road I think with Cole, was Mike Zimmerman. You ever have any run ins with him? Or know him? he was a helluva player too.

Kudo's to you offering up a "been beaten by" list. Bill S's is only what.. 4 long?:D

Mine would be even shorter than Bill's.. *

*Denotes; bald faced lie....:p (however, it would only be a very small fraction of Beardo's).:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Spreads, yeah sure.

Spreads, yeah sure.

I am surprised, at your age, you aren't aware of the myriad ways, of "laying down a spread"...(talk about naive)
The 'spreader' doesn't even have to play the 'spreadee' (YOU)...They can play, and lose a little, to someone, anyone, who plays under you...(even maybe their partner) All that is required, is your attendance, or word of the event by a trusted "Pool Detective"...;)

I will concede it is not likely in the 'instant information age' we now live in...But you were around a long time before that, weren't you ?..Sooo, are you are denying the inevitable may have occured (more than once)...:

PS..Your 'beat by' list, looks like a carbon copy of your 'b**t list...Did you waste your entire pool carreer 'breaking even' ??? JK JK JK..:p

Now you are doing the usual, taking a detour from the main point. Let's face it, your main point, that I, ahem, adroitly countered, was trying to make a case that many, if not most, of the listee's on my beat roster arrived there voluntarily by "allowing" me to beat them, so that they could take me off later. Right? Admit it like a man.:lol
Even your "detour the point," point, is ill advised and baseless. You know, putting on a performance in front of me to get me down later. Why would anyone bother to do that? Anybody who ever knew me knew that all you had to do to get me to play was just ask. Nobody needed any burlesque routine to get into action with me. The veritable volume of both lists, beat and beat by, attest to that.:p

Beard

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Diamond Bill Cress

Diamond Bill Cress

Freddy,

Bill spent the early years around Chicago and Wisconsin. Nice guy, lot of fun, but had problems with substances. Rich Geiler I used to run into at different tournaments. Dan Louie and I are pals, but we never played. He only played 9 ball back then. And he only played for $10 a game, and couldnt nobody hardly beat him.

Mike Zimmerman, I have heard the name, but I am sure we never played and I cant place him.

Donnie Anderson raved that his beat by list for a 50 year period was only two long! --- and my name, according to him, wasnt among the two! He dropped that claim at his induction into the Bank Pool HOF when we met on the podium.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I started Playing Bill Cress $20.00 one pocket, I knew he didn't have any or much money. He had an old cuestick I wanted to win. I can't remember now, either a Rambow or a Genacue. Anyway he kept beating me and I kept raising the bet. We had been betting a hundred and two and three. I was twenty one hundred loser and we begin betting $500.00 a game. I got lucky and won four in a row and he quit. I asked him to pay the time and he said we were even. He pulled the money out of his pocket and said look all I've got is $60.00. I said we're not even but forget about it. It was about 5 a.m. and he left. He was locked out of his hotel room and to get in he had to pay his bill. The hotel had no change and he had to come back to the pool room to get change for the hundred dollar bill. He was embarrassed. He just grinned and shrugged his shoulders. :p
Rod.
P.S. During a break, when I was 12 or 15 hundred loser some pool detective eased over to me and said, out of the side of his mouth "Ya know, ya could of only won $60.00" I said really, well he's got a lot more than that now. :D

bstroud

Verified Member
Sorry I forgot Joey Spathe. He beat be 3 games for 50.00 in Baltimore in a storm of white talcum powder.

Bill Stroud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
There are so many gold nuggets of potential humor in this thread thus far that a blind man could stumble around, pick them up & be rich in comedic gold for days or months with no end in sight. A man could make hundreds of thousands writing for Leno, Letterman & Conan if only their audiences knew what the hell one-pocket was and what a "beaten by" list is and it's significance to the world.

I guess it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Hell, I've gone stretches where I've lost to 5 guys every two or three days much less in my entire illustrious career.

I shall attempt to give it my best effort to exercise judicious restraint and refrain from drinking just enough to actually mine some of this gold that is just laying there (lying there?), free for the bending over and picking it up. I don't know how long I can hold out but I will give it my best:p:D.

Cowboy "weakening by the minute" Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
There are so many gold nuggets of potential humor in this thread thus far that a blind man could stumble around, pick them up & be rich in comedic gold for days or months with no end in sight. A man could make hundreds of thousands writing for Leno, Letterman & Conan if only their audiences knew what the hell one-pocket was and what a "beaten by" list is and it's significance to the world.

I guess it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Hell, I've gone stretches where I've lost to 5 guys every two or three days much less in my entire illustrious career.

I shall attempt to give it my best effort to exercise judicious restraint and refrain from drinking just enough to actually mine some of this gold that is just laying there (lying there?), free for the bending over and picking it up. I don't know how long I can hold out but I will give it my best
Cowboy "weakening by the minute" Dennis

dennis
i dont want you to hurt youself by refraining from drinking too much:eek::D;):heh
i only have your best interest in mind:D
tell us about your beat by list (besides cornbread red)
and then your sense of humor and wit can go to town

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
dennis

tell us about your beat by list (besides cornbread red)

Larry,

Nobody on this site would recognize the names of the guys who did beat me playing even one-pocket, some of the locals might not even recognize them. It would've been in the late 70's-early 80's. After 86-87 when I really came into my own and improved quite a bit I don't really remember playing too many guys even one-pocket unless it was on a snooker table and then the only names anybody would know would be Miami and Horseface Harry, unfortunately for this thread neither of them won on a snooker table:(.

Most of the time I was spotting guys or getting weight from much better players. Not too many guys who had been around my speed wanted to match up with me. More than once I tried to match up with guys I figured I couldn't beat playing even just to have them tell me they couldn't play me because if they won they'd knock too much of their action and if they lost they'd lose their money.

I didn't travel from room to room looking for action, I went to the same room most of the time where my friends were at. I never cared much if I practiced by myself all night or gambled all night, even though I preferred to play someone.

I guess the only guy I can think of right now who beat me playing even one-pocket was Horseface Harry, the last time we played in the mid-nineties or so. We bet $50 per game and he ended up one game ahead:)

I'll mention one name of a good player but we only bet $20 per set plus the time. Reverend Dave, who posts here occasionally. I was unemployed at the time and he knew it, he won three sets and insisted on paying the time, he's a truly class act in my book and always has been. If we had bet higher it wouldn't have changed anything except for how much I would lose.

So there you have it unless I think of someone else. Maybe S. Lomako will remind me of a couple.

P.S. I just thought of another I played for $20 per game just before I stopped playing, I think his name was Charlie Williams or something like that, from down south somewhere. He slept on the futon in Lomako's R.A.C. for about three days and I knew he was much better than me but I had some time to kill that night. He is a helluva player and won 6 games in a row before I had to leave with my girlfriend. He never missed a ball, he must have been hungry:D.

P.P.S. I'll try to remember more but I just really never played too many guys even one-pocket.

Dennis

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Beat by List:

Gary Spaeth
Glenn "Piggy Banks" Rogers
Chris Bartram

last, but definitely not least, the dreaded grim reaper himself...

lfigueroa!!!!!!!!!!

lfigueroa has been beating my brains in for 15 years; he is a great pool player, a great teacher, and a better friend.

kollegedave

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry,

Nobody on this site would recognize the names of the guys who did beat me playing even one-pocket, some of the locals might not even recognize them. It would've been in the late 70's-early 80's. After 86-87 when I really came into my own and improved quite a bit I don't really remember playing too many guys even one-pocket unless it was on a snooker table and then the only names anybody would know would be Miami and Horseface Harry, unfortunately for this thread neither of them won on a snooker table:(.

Most of the time I was spotting guys or getting weight from much better players. Not too many guys who had been around my speed wanted to match up with me. More than once I tried to match up with guys I figured I couldn't beat playing even just to have them tell me they couldn't play me because if they won they'd knock too much of their action and if they lost they'd lose their money.

I didn't travel from room to room looking for action, I went to the same room most of the time where my friends were at. I never cared much if I practiced by myself all night or gambled all night, even though I preferred to play someone.

I guess the only guy I can think of right now who beat me playing even one-pocket was Horseface Harry, the last time we played in the mid-nineties or so. We bet $50 per game and he ended up one game ahead:)

I'll mention one name of a good player but we only bet $20 per set plus the time. Reverend Dave, who posts here occasionally. I was unemployed at the time and he knew it, he won three sets and insisted on paying the time, he's a truly class act in my book and always has been. If we had bet higher it wouldn't have changed anything except for how much I would lose.

So there you have it unless I think of someone else. Maybe S. Lomako will remind me of a couple.

P.S. I just thought of another I played for $20 per game just before I stopped playing, I think his name was Charlie Williams or something like that, from down south somewhere. He slept on the futon in Lomako's R.A.C. for about three days and I knew he was much better than me but I had some time to kill that night. He is a helluva player and won 6 games in a row before I had to leave with my girlfriend. He never missed a ball, he must have been hungry:D.

P.P.S. I'll try to remember more but I just really never played too many guys even one-pocket.

Dennis

thanks for the reply:)
it must have drove you crazy that you couldnt get guys to play you even even when they were the favorites to win:mad:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I first started to play pool at the age of 12, I believe my brother beat me once if memory serves me correct. Since then I have only lost four times, and it was all to the same person, Billy Stroud. Billy beat me playing 9 ball, one pocket, straight pool, and once gave me two out of three breaks playing 9 ball on a 2-1/2 by 5.

I would like a rematch with Bill before I kick, which could be sooner than I would like. Hurry Bill.:D

Billy I.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
I first started to play pool at the age of 12, I believe my brother beat me once if memory serves me correct. Since then I have only lost four times, and it was all to the same person, Billy Stroud. Billy beat me playing 9 ball, one pocket, straight pool, and once gave me two out of three breaks playing 9 ball on a 2-1/2 by 5.

I would like a rematch with Bill before I kick, which could be sooner than I would like. Hurry Bill.:D

Billy I.
Have heart Bill..you could probably take him in bumper pool .. or not?? :D

bstroud

Verified Member

Billy I.

Billy,

I plan on going to the derby tournament.
I think I should be in stroke by then. We can play there.

Bill Stroud