Bank Pool Tournament (10/1/2011) @ Red Shoes Billiards (with **CALCUTTA**)

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
149
From
Rochester, NY
fred bentivegna said:
John B was in Red Shoes last night, so was Gary Luttman, and our Warren. All getting ready for the tourney. Bad news, Greg Sullivan wasnt feeling well and is not coming. That means Truman, who rides with Greg, wont make it either. Greg must really be feeling bad if he aint coming, much as he loves bank tournaments.

I aint even sure if I am going to play, much as I want to. Hours of commentary and trying to play is a ruff job for my old ass. Plus, Im a little afraid of embarrassing myself on the TV table. I aint worrying about getting outsmarted, that aint gonna happen, no matter who I play, but missing hangers by diamonds is a real concern. Well we will just have to see what happens.

Beard

Freddy,

I was hoping to get to see you play, especially full rack. This is actually going to be the first time I have seen full rack banks.

I've never seen you play before except in your dvd. And there's no shame if you aren't in perfect health.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
Bank tourn

Bank tourn

ChrisBanks said:
Freddy,

I was hoping to get to see you play, especially full rack. This is actually going to be the first time I have seen full rack banks.

I've never seen you play before except in your dvd. And there's no shame if you aren't in perfect health.

Well, I fulfilled my own predictions. In my first match, the table looked upside down. Missed hangers by diamonds. In between I made a few decent shots. Scratched maybe 12 times. Wasnt really embarrassed because I have grown used to it by now.

Second match, settled down and my eyes started working slightly better. The table was right side up most of the time and I won my next match against a decent player pretty easily. Although I still managed to miss many hangers by diamonds.

Third match against a very good banker, Jeff Carter, started settling even more, but you cant afford to miss hangers by diamonds against Jeff and he beat me 23 to 18. I really wished I could have played one more match just to see if I could have settled in completely. Never know now.

I used to be able to play myself into stroke by playing 12 -18 straight hours. That is no longer available. Three hours of pool now, and I need a gurney to get to my car.

Beard
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
fred bentivegna said:
I used to be able to play myself into stroke by playing 12 -18 straight hours. That is no longer available. Three hours of pool now, and I need a gurney to get to my car.

Beard

Know the feeling well. BarbaMonstro...I was always a notoriously slow starter too. It was always a toss -up, whether I had enough money to get in stroke.
Or, if I was getting staked, if my backer might physically assault me before I got there..:cool:

If there was a HOF for getting quit on even, (or stuck a little) I would be a shoo-in on the first ballot..Of course I was always way too smart to practice, as it always seemed to interfere with my drinking and carousing commitment(s)...:eek:

PS..I have not been able to complete two full games, in the last year...But I am still pretty competent at the thing I practiced most,...'drinking and carousing'...:p
 
Last edited:

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
149
From
Rochester, NY
fred bentivegna said:
Well, I fulfilled my own predictions. In my first match, the table looked upside down. Missed hangers by diamonds. In between I made a few decent shots. Scratched maybe 12 times. Wasnt really embarrassed because I have grown used to it by now.

Second match, settled down and my eyes started working slightly better. The table was right side up most of the time and I won my next match against a decent player pretty easily. Although I still managed to miss many hangers by diamonds.

Third match against a very good banker, Jeff Carter, started settling even more, but you cant afford to miss hangers by diamonds against Jeff and he beat me 23 to 18. I really wished I could have played one more match just to see if I could have settled in completely. Never know now.

I used to be able to play myself into stroke by playing 12 -18 straight hours. That is no longer available. Three hours of pool now, and I need a gurney to get to my car.

Beard

Freddy,

It was nice to see you play. I wish your match with Jeff Carter would have been on the live stream. He looked real strong when he was playing Jett, I thought he might have a chance at winning the whole thing. But then Jett came back and played real well too.

I hope there's another tournament like this soon, it was alot of fun to watch. And Freddy I hope we get more chances to see you play!
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
Slow starter?

Slow starter?

SJDinPHX said:
Know the feeling well. BarbaMonstro...I was always a notoriously slow starter too. It was always a toss -up, whether I had enough money to get in stroke.
Or, if I was getting staked, if my backer might physically assault me before I got there..:cool:

If there was a HOF for getting quit on even, (or stuck a little) I would be a shoo-in on the first ballot..Of course I was always way too smart to practice, as it always seemed to interfere with my drinking and carousing commitment(s)...:eek:

PS..I have not been able to complete two full games, in the last year...But I am still pretty competent at the thing I practiced most,...'drinking and carousing'...:p


That doesnt even begin to describe what happens to me now. I can barely make contact with the cue ball when starting out. My eyes just wont focus on the object ball. If I keep playing my eyes start to settle and I end up looking like a completely different player. But if I start to show life, like you the usual result is a break-evener, or a quit, one or two games winner. Of course those days I dont come out of it, they do keep playing.

Beard
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
Jeff Carter

Jeff Carter

ChrisBanks said:
Freddy,

It was nice to see you play. I wish your match with Jeff Carter would have been on the live stream. He looked real strong when he was playing Jett, I thought he might have a chance at winning the whole thing. But then Jett came back and played real well too.

I hope there's another tournament like this soon, it was alot of fun to watch. And Freddy I hope we get more chances to see you play!

Jeff is a very good player, but Jet has a monster heart and a ferocious killer instinct. Jet coming in 4th in this tourn was a terrific accomplishment. I was very proud of him. All you have to do is look at him and you can see his health is still shot.

Beard
 

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
233
Who finished where?

Who finished where?

What were the finish places?

ken
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
First four finishers

First four finishers

What were the finish places?

ken

1st John Brumback, 2nd Tony Banks Coleman, 3rd Piggy Banks, 4th Jet Johnson.

Brumback looked impossible to beat. Tony Banks is having a pool flashback. Piggy is Piggy, but hasnt played much this year. Bad knee. Jet is amazing. Anybody that watched the streaming should have easily seen the bad shape he is still in. A year of chemo, radiation, and a lung operation tends to leave you a little wan. A tremendous show of heart.

I have an upcoming little protege that played well in the tourn. 18 year old Eric Hinks. Remember the name. He has the talent. I have already told him talent is just a beginning.

Beard

I have never seen a display of offensive banks like Brumback put on Piggy Banks. It was frightening.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Beard

I have never seen a display of offensive banks like Brumback put on Piggy Banks. It was frightening.

Fred, I watched a lot, well some, (actually about 90 seconds) of that stream...I couldn't watch any more...It was tooooo exciting, I have to watch the ole ticker ya know....And your outstanding, educational, yet humorous color commentary, made me feel almost as though I were there,..but, dammit, maybe next time.. (the Duck still wuvs Fwed)..:D

I was pullin' for my man JB (2nd choice was Jett)...By the way...John has probably forgotten He was awful drunk, and blew all his money on drinks, and "lap dances" ...So, I loaned him $800, that last night in Vegas, at the US Open in May..So I am curious as to the prize payout...Should I be expecting a check ?..:cool:

PS..Dont worry about it John, I'll loan you more if you need it...(JK, JK, JK)...(Duck still wuvs John, too)...:p :p
 
Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
Fred, I watched a lot (well some,...actually about 90 seconds) of that stream...I couldn't watch any more...It was soooo exciting, I have to watch the ole ticker ya know....And your outstanding, educational, yet humorous color commentary, made me feel almost as though I were there,..but, dammit, maybe next time.. (the Duck still wuvs Fwed)..:D

I was pullin' for my man JB (2nd choice was Jett)...By the way...John has probably forgotten He was awful drunk, and blew all his money on drinks, and "lap dances" ...So, I loaned him $800, that last night in Vegas, at the US Open in May..So I am curious as to the prize payout...Should I be expecting a check ?..:cool:

PS..Dont worry about it John, I'll loan you more if you need it...(JK, JK, JK)...Duck still wuvs John, too...:p :p

Thanks alot to my number one bankpool fan.I'll put the check In the mail as soon as I get rich.I didn't get rich from that one tourny,so you'll have to wait good buddy.John B.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
Archived video

Archived video

Fred, I watched a lot (well some,...actually about 90 seconds) of that stream...I couldn't watch any more...It was soooo exciting, I have to watch the ole ticker ya know....And your outstanding, educational, yet humorous color commentary, made me feel almost as though I were there,..but, dammit, maybe next time.. (the Duck still wuvs Fwed)..:

I was pullin' for my man JB (2nd choice was Jett)...By the way...John has probably forgotten He was awful drunk, and blew all his money on drinks, and "lap dances" ...So, I loaned him $800, that last night in Vegas, at the US Open in May..So I am curious as to the prize payout...Should I be expecting a check ?..

PS..Dont worry about it John, I'll loan you more if you need it...(JK, JK, JK)...Duck still wuvs John, too...:p :p

I think the archived videos of the matches will not have the jumparound that the internet feeds had. Its worth it to watch John when he played Piggy. He is an amazing banker. Never shoots IMHO the "right" shot, but makes everything. :eek: So I am going to have to reevaluate what the right shot is for him. :sorry

Beard
All you other ordinary humans better forget about those straight backs, ya'll aint John B!
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
16,479
From
vero beach fl
He is an amazing banker. Never shoots IMHO the "right" shot, but makes everything. :eek: So I am going to have to reevaluate what the right shot is for him. :sorry

Beard
All you other ordinary humans better forget about those straight backs, ya'll aint John B!

is john b. the efren of bank pool??? :rolleyes::)
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
I think the archived videos of the matches will not have the jumparound that the internet feeds had. Its worth it to watch John when he played Piggy. He is an amazing banker. Never shoots IMHO the "right" shot, but makes everything. :eek: So I am going to have to reevaluate what the right shot is for him. :sorry

Beard
All you other ordinary humans better forget about those straight backs,Ya'll aint John B!

WTF is this, you saying "Ya'll" ?...Are you thinking like RA once said..."No way a youse can beat a ya'll"...Are you ya'll finally seeing the light, and comin' over to the good side ?...:lol
 

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
238
Moved 2 interfering balls

Moved 2 interfering balls

In one of the earlier matches, Piggy made a pretty neat shot.

Down table, he shot a crossover bank on a ball near the spot. The cb layed good to go into a 2 ball cluster that was in the way of the bank. The 2 balls and cb caromed away at angles that opened a path for the OB to bank into Piggy's pocket.

Maybe not unusual at this level of play, but it got my attention.:eek:
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
Hey Fred

Hey Fred

Thanks,I guess.Did you notice that I passed up some straight backs cause I didn't know If I could make them or not? Well I did.Those gold crowns don't hold near as much as a Diamond so If I wasn't sure or had any doubt I just ducked and sent the cball down table.I feel like I played smarter In that tourny than I ever had.To me,I think I put the cball froze or near the end rail better than I ever have.Some of them guys have got to be pickin out splinters.lol John B.

PS: yes,what's the right shot for some.. might not be the right shot for others.Same with onepocket also.
Man has to know his limitations
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
From
chicago illinois
Of course I noticed those safeties

Of course I noticed those safeties

Thanks,I guess.Did you notice that I passed up some straight backs cause I didn't know If I could make them or not? Well I did.Those gold crowns don't hold near as much as a Diamond so If I wasn't sure or had any doubt I just ducked and sent the cball down table.I feel like I played smarter In that tourny than I ever had.To me,I think I put the cball froze or near the end rail better than I ever have.Some of them guys have got to be pickin out splinters.lol John B.

PS: yes,what's the right shot for some.. might not be the right shot for others.Same with onepocket also.
Man has to know his limitations


Your speed on leaving the cue ball on or near the cushion of those safeties was excellent.

You see, I believe if you played as tight a safe game as me, you would shut people out, let alone just beat them easily!

Beard

I did that to Donnie Anderson in a big bank tourn. I beat him 23 to 4.
 

John Brumback

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
1,747
Your speed on leaving the cue ball on or near the cushion of those safeties was excellent.

You see, I believe if you played as tight a safe game as me, you would shut people out, let alone just beat them easily!

Beard

I did that to Donnie Anderson in a big bank tourn. I beat him 23 to 4.

Yeah well I could do that but that wouldn't be as much fun.haha John B.
 

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
1,959
Yep... you just keep on firing them in JB. Love your aggressive play... especially when you back it up by making the shots you shoot. 8 & Out is pretty tough to beat! ;)

Yes, I love the aggressiveness too. It is something that every serious player struggles with -- when to go, and when not to go -- and he has refined his skills to the point where he makes the big shots under the gun.

I love the discussion on this topic..... the people winning are probably taking the right shots, is my take. They have learned through experience that too many safeties can backfire, and shooting too many difficult banks can too.... John has found that fine line. There was always a lot of discussion on this topic with Efren and his one pocket shot selection. But it is hard to argue with a guy that has 8 balls sitting at the bottom of his hole.
 
Top