B. Shuff vs. S.V.B. 2012 D.C.C.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Certainly. I gave them an easy solution that any beginner could have success with, sending the eleven into the combo, locating the cue ball favorably, sending another ball toward your pocket, and leaving the nine and ten as a later threat, totally strangulating your opponent. These guys better hurry up and pick up on all of this, Tyler. Don't they realize you and I only have so much time and advice and patience we can devote?? We are not going to be with them always.

Who are these chumps that come in here nowadays anyway :D

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jimmy, you're playing really well, your game has jumped several balls since ...well....since..back then.:D;)

Dr. Bill

Thanks Boss. I probably woulda shot the ten, truth be told. Too inviting not to, but it's fun to do a diagram now and then. I tell you what else is fun. I saw pics of Jersey Red and it made me go back in time to watch that match with Ogburn that you and Buddy did. Remember that first game that took an hour where the two balls lodged in the upper corner, hanging off the edge, but touching the bed? They just left them there for the longest time. Lol . What a match with a nice interview at the end with The Red Raider. I have to keep this one...

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Yep, I have seen that match. I don't know what the actual rule is. I like to make up my own rules, and be in my own little world... anyway, I think this should be played if a ref deems that the balls would in fact be in a position to be falling if the other ball is not there, then they should both go down. I had a 9 ball jaw in once like this on a combo and the ref came over and said "play it out". The balls were jammed in the hole and putting pressure on them did nothing. I did not think it was the proper ruling.And, what if the cb got jammed in there like that. I think there has to be a rule where the ref can deem them down. Maybe there is? Anyway, that was a tangent :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yep, I have seen that match. I don't know what the actual rule is. I like to make up my own rules, and be in my own little world... anyway, I think this should be played if a ref deems that the balls would in fact be in a position to be falling if the other ball is not there, then they should both go down. I had a 9 ball jaw in once like this on a combo and the ref came over and said "play it out". The balls were jammed in the hole and putting pressure on them did nothing. I did not think it was the proper ruling.And, what if the cb got jammed in there like that. I think there has to be a rule where the ref can deem them down. Maybe there is? Anyway, that was a tangent :)

I know. I thought that they should be ruled in the pocket also. There were balls bouncing off of them like they were a dead rail. It was fun to watch. We discussed this on the site a while back. A long entertaining three hr match between two of my very favorite pool players. Like you said, people like us make our own rules. And then we may decide to change them...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The BCA general rules of pocket billiards rule on "jawed" or "wedged" balls is this:

32. JAWED BALLS. If two or more balls are locked between the jaws or sides of the pocket, with one or more suspended in air, the referee shall inspect the balls in position and follow this procedure: he shall visually (or physically if he desires) project each ball directly downward from its locked position; any ball that in his judgment would fall in the pocket if so moved directly downward is a pocketed ball, while any ball that would come to rest on the bed of the table is not pocketed. The balls are then placed according to the referee's assessment, and play continues according to specific game rules as if no locking or jawing of balls had occurred.

The WPA general rules have this to say:

8.3 Ball Pocketed
A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.

I don't believe play should continue until wedged balls are adjudicated or resolved. In this case, from the view pictured, both balls would be considered pocketed, and in that case should be spotted.

Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
So what happens if the shooters pocket is full of balls (handicapp is 13-2) shooter is leading 12-1 and makes his final ball, But it's in the pile above the play suface.........:heh:heh
Only person that has the ''Ture'' Knowlege and experience to come up with a Logical ;) answer to this question, would be Corn Bread Red...............:eek:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The BCA general rules of pocket billiards rule on "jawed" or "wedged" balls is this:

32. JAWED BALLS. If two or more balls are locked between the jaws or sides of the pocket, with one or more suspended in air, the referee shall inspect the balls in position and follow this procedure: he shall visually (or physically if he desires) project each ball directly downward from its locked position; any ball that in his judgment would fall in the pocket if so moved directly downward is a pocketed ball, while any ball that would come to rest on the bed of the table is not pocketed. The balls are then placed according to the referee's assessment, and play continues according to specific game rules as if no locking or jawing of balls had occurred.

The WPA general rules have this to say:

8.3 Ball Pocketed
A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.

I don't believe play should continue until wedged balls are adjudicated or resolved. In this case, from the view pictured, both balls would be considered pocketed, and in that case should be spotted.

Doc

See, I got robbed. I wonder if I would have cited that rule it would have made any difference in a good room. Probably not.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
So, what if the pockets are extra tight and two balls can jam up but still be over the table surface? Play on with the balls wedged in place I guess, by the rules. But that could develop into some kind of a stalemate....

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
So, what if the pockets are extra tight and two balls can jam up but still be over the table surface? Play on with the balls wedged in place I guess, by the rules. But that could develop into some kind of a stalemate....

Usually all you have to do is shoot at one of them, most people try to make both and nothing happens. :)
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Usually all you have to do is shoot at one of them, most people try to make both and nothing happens. :)
Rod.

Smart man,Little Buddy:)

If I was the reff though...as soon as that happened I would just walk right up there (look at them and make sure they are over the edge) and
knock the balls in the hole and they would resume play:eek::lol JB