B. Shuff vs. S.V.B. 2012 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
As I look at the 9-ball bank, hitting it with high right would hold the cue ball down close to that far end rail, not bring it back up toward the side pocket :confused:

I've learned through experience when shooting shots like the 9ball bank (shots that carry distance and a thin hit) it is difficult to control the cue ball but in answer to your take with this shot (in terms of how the cue ball will react) I believe it will end up well away from any rail, which is a result that's not desireable. Obviously the reason Shane didn't choose that option.

Dr. Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Actually Petie, if you look at the layout objectively, you'll see that he tied up his pocket and now neither ball is in scoring position. Shuff is now free to do pretty much whatever he wants.

Dennis

RBL, Don't you realize, he shot an excellent shot, and got an unfortunate roll, in that the balls tied up ?..You are so lame..
...Are you sure you're NOT a 'billiard banger/author' ?...Or, a very overweight, obnoxious WANNA BE, one pocket player ?

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Whenever in a situation where pocketing a ball is questionable look to choose the option that allows you to control the cue ball best. As a rule of thumb.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
RBL, Don't you realize, he shot an excellent shot, and got an unfortunate roll, in that the balls tied up ?..You are so lame..
...Are you sure you're NOT a 'billiard banger/author' ?...Or, a very LARGE, obnoxious WANNA BE, one pocket player ?

Dear Duckbreath,

Of course he shot an excellent shot, it's the one I would have shot. I didn't say he didn't get an unfortunate roll, I'm just not painting it as a great outcome, that's all. I don't have a giant, ego-centric need to point out why SVB shot the 10, I have no idea why he shot it unless I ask him.

P.S. Very large? Well, I have reached a new upper weight limit but I don't think it makes me obnoxious;). My Bench Press has gone up to 325 lbs. and I'm 54 years old:eek:. "Wanna be"? Maybe "used to be":p.

P.Ps. Either way, the 10, 11 & 12 are now tied up. That is simply a fact.

RBL

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Rodney's shot is just fine. The optimum position for my shot is when the cue ball and the object ball are a little closer to the long rail; that makes the draw action much easier.

Beard

Plus

Your able to apply more RA Hearding speed :) to object balls utilizing the power draw shot which is a common 9 ball type shot for top players, + your second rail could easily be the head rail & your third rail.... land whitey on the long rail about 1-2 diamonds up.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Dear Duckbreath,

Of course he shot an excellent shot, it's the one I would have shot. I didn't say he didn't get an unfortunate roll, I'm just not painting it as a great outcome, that's all. I don't have a giant, ego-centric need to point out why SVB shot the 10, I have no idea why he shot it unless I ask him.

P.S. Very large? Well, I have reached a new upper weight limit but I don't think it makes me obnoxious;). My Bench Press has gone up to 325 lbs. and I'm 54 years old:eek:. "Wanna be"? Maybe "used to be":p.

P.Ps. Either way, the 10, 11 & 12 are now tied up. That is simply a fact.

RBL

Besides, Brandon will probably bump the 10 by playing off the long rail as his next shot. I don't know what he really did. I'm dying to see his answer to this. He'd be nuts to go for the combo and not too much else lines up. The 2-railer on the nine is a double kiss but it could be avoided with draw. It won't go to his pocket but he could lag it up or play to hit the stack. snuggling up to the 10 ball off the long rail looks like the most likely option. The big decision there would be speed. snuggle up and take a scratch or bump hard enough to make a rail?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't like it because if you clip that 9 you are going to look like you are shooting for the other guy's hole real easy. He shoots straight enough though, so more power to him. I would not consider that myself.... the 9 is too close.
If you (or Shane) would have tried the 10 ball back straight back clean to your pocket, yes, the 9-ball was "too close for comfort". But not so much if the 10 was intentionally played off the 13 or ll like Shane did.

With the cue ball now left pretty close to the side rail, Shuff drawing the cue ball while playing the 9-ball two rails looks tough to get your cue low enough for the draw ... too bad, because with those balls tied up Shuff might have had a good shot to do that.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If you (or Shane) would have tried the 10 ball back straight back clean to your pocket, yes, the 9-ball was "too close for comfort". But not so much if the 10 was intentionally played off the 13 or ll like Shane did.

With the cue ball now left pretty close to the side rail, Shuff drawing the cue ball while playing the 9-ball two rails looks tough to get your cue low enough for the draw ... too bad, because with those balls tied up Shuff might have had a good shot to do that.

Shuff has a good two in the corner angle with the 9ball and there isn't a kiss with the shot. Level off and play the ball to go into the 7 and 15 ball, the 9ball will leave the second rail before the cue ball has a chance to catch up with the ball.
This shot just looks like a kiss but it isn't.

Dr. Bill < an ego-centric type of guy.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Shuff has a good two in the corner angle with the 9ball and there isn't a kiss with the shot. Level off and play the ball to go into the 7 and 15 ball, the 9ball will leave the second rail before the cue ball has a chance to catch up with the ball.
This shot just looks like a kiss but it isn't.

Dr. Bill < an ego-centric type of guy.

Exactly right Dr. Bill. There is no kiss with the two rail shot on the nine. And you are right again to play into the 7 and 15 balls. If Shuff can also manage to get the cue ball back to the head rail while shooting this shot he can make things very difficult for SVB.

This is a great example of how one seemingly harmless shot can lead into a real problem. Not to belabor the point but SVB could have avoided this issue by simply drawing off the five ball and sticking the cue ball on the other side of the stack. This is a shot where every aspect can easily be forecast. From there he would have maintained momentum and kept B.S. off balance.

Tom

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Exactly right Dr. Bill. There is no kiss with the two rail shot on the nine. And you are right again to play into the 7 and 15 balls. If Shuff can also manage to get the cue ball back to the head rail while shooting this shot he can make things very difficult for SVB.

This is a great example of how one seemingly harmless shot can lead into a real problem. Not to belabor the point but SVB could have avoided this issue by simply drawing off the five ball and sticking the cue ball on the other side of the stack. This is a shot where every aspect can easily be forecast. From there he would have maintained momentum and kept B.S. off balance.

Tom

Very observant Tom..Most people do not look at what 'should have been done,' in any given HARMLESS situation !...Those are quite often game changing decisions....Good eye !... Tells me you know the game ! ;)

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Very observant Tom..Most people do not look at what 'should have been done,' in any given situation...Those are often game changing decisions..Good eye !..;)
Yeah there is a thin line in the game where a shot can make you look like a genius or an idiot. :frus

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yeah there is a thin line in the game where a shot can make you look like a genius or an idiot. :frus

Hi Fast Leonard,..It is NOT really that thin of a line...One Pocket, is NOT rocket science !..It is only hard for the "Axis of Evil" to comprehend !... (especially wHacker and Mr. POS)..Mr Beard, does TRY his best to keep up ! :p :p :p Good to see you improving with my tutalige...Just stay away from the 'pepper spray' :eek:

Thus far, the Beard has refused my priceless assistance..He may come around, eventually...Look what I did for Darren ! .:D

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Hi Fast Leonard,..It is NOT really that thin of a line...One Pocket, is NOT rocket science !..It is only hard for the "Axis of Evil" to comprehend !... (especially wHacker and Mr. POS)..Mr Beard, does TRY his best to keep up ! :p :p :p Good to see you improving with my tutalige...Just stay awat from the 'pepper spray' :eek:

(thus far, the Beard has refused my assistance..He may come around, eventually)..:D
The pepper spray taste so good though and makes me play really well too along with a few thumps on the head with a baton throw in for good measure. :lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Very observant Tom..Most people do not look at what 'should have been done,' in any given HARMLESS situation !...Those are quite often game changing decisions....Good eye !... Tells me you know the game ! ;)

Thanks Dick, Yes I've been around One Pocket my whole life and I've been a continual student of the game trying to steadily improve on my knowledge. Unfortunately these days my execution skills are steadily failing me. This game is not just knowing what to do but being able to execute the shots might be even more important. Moving doesn't score balls, shooting scores ball and wins games. Moving only gets you the chance to score.

Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

While I'm at work today I want all you old dudes to be careful not to hurt each other with all the pats on the back. Jeez, you've got the whole game played out already:D.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am going to put myself in the camp that doesn't see a whole lot of harm coming from the two-railer of the 9-ball. I assume it would be hit something like this since the cue ball looks kind of close to the side rail for Brandon to cue low enough to send the cue ball up along the side rail on Shane's side -- but maybe he can do that a little. Anyway, I have drawn it left in the middle of the bottom rail.

To me it looks like about the best outcome on the shot would be hitting the combo and opening up several balls, because otherwise, I don't see how Shuff creates that much problem with this kind of shot, given he has almost no choice but to leave the cue ball somewhere out in the clear, and hence fails to to "protect" the nine ball even if he gets it close to his pocket -- which most likely means he will leave it as an open solo threat ball on his side -- not likely to be much of a problem for Shane to remove.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-05-06_06-33-14.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-05-06_06-33-14.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, if you must know:

View attachment 8206

View attachment 8207

View attachment 8208

View attachment 8209

View attachment 8210

I guarandamntee you that one of the above scenarios played out:D:p

RBL
Lol, when I set this two railer on the 9-ball up on my own table I found that scratch in the corner to be rather "on". I also found the kiss to be rather "on" when I tried to avoid the scratch, but I notice Dennis doesn't include the kiss in his choices. I don't know, door #1??