B. Hall vs. E. Reyes 2005 D.C.C.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
The stripe by the head rail is hanging over his head, and he can't even hit it from here. Reyes can shoot it from almost anywhere. Looks like the 3 ball might bank, and I think he has to shoot it. Really tough situation.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Time to go....I'm gonna 3-rail the 3..it looks to me like it's laying to where I can miss the kiss..and if I don't make it and I hit it a little short and it goes into the 2 that's ok too - and if I hit it a little too long and it goes into the two spotted balls, that's ok too, it'll open them all up near my hole....and last of all, there's a chance with the angle I have with the 3-rail shot, that I can also drop the cueball two rails and have it end up snugly under the striped ball near the head rail, thus leaving Efren snookered.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Bank the deuce

Bank the 7.

Looks like the 3 ball might bank, and I think he has to shoot it.

Time to go....I'm gonna 3-rail the 3.

I absolutely love it when the first 4 respondents all choose different shots and different banks. No joking or sarcasm at all here...I absolutely love it. That's what it's about.

Ghosty, I'm assuming you meant 3 Rail the 3 ball so I fixed it for you.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
im with you on this one
i think this the shot??
View attachment 8573

That is what i'd be shooting too. I don't think the cb woud go quite that far, and I would not put that much right on it. This is one of those "Brumback" strokes (I call it that only because I learned it from him) where you DO want spin on the cb, but the minimum amount of spin. If you spin it too much, it wont turn the ob as well. Even if you dont get over for that ball, you still have the 2 anyway, but the stroke I am talking about it lays perfect I think to get right on that stripe out close to the ball you are banking. I'll either go just above it or bump that ball if I hit it how I want.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
That is definitely the best option (IMO) Larry !..It will be a little tough to make it, but with pocket speed, Buddy figures to get it close, and have a good chance of hiding it (behind the deuce) from Effy !..No risk, lotta reward !..;)

Late edit;..Tyler, I am shooting it with high right, just like Larry diagrammed it..Not enough to scratch, but enough to go two rails, and maybe put Efren shooting over the 1 and 6 ball !..:)

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Not often do you find a flaw in the Ghost's thinking, however, there just may be a flaw with his choice. I agree that you need to stay aggressive, and shooting the 3ball would be my choice as well, but not three railing it. The one rail on the 3ball banked toward the 2ball will allow you to drop the cue ball possibly under the 14ball with much better control of both balls, as opposed to choosing the 3rail shot on the 3ball. This option takes away all kisses with a much higher higher percentage of controlling all balls.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I voted to bank the 3, but I'm thinking pocket speed. I don't want to send the cue ball clear across the table. If I make the bank, I want to have at least two more shots, and if I miss it, I want to leave it real close.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
You usually make sense in your shot selection !..However, in this instance, you are DEAD WRONG !..:eek:

Well, what is your shot going to do. You aint going to make that bank with a high ball, and the balls are just going uptable and you on the end rail if you dont make it. You gotta shoot here, and the best way to get spin on that bank is near a center ball with a touch of right. High ball wont put nothing on that ob. I assume you are praying that you will double him up, which would not be bad of course, but you gotta hit it good, then get a little roll. I just believe you gotta shoot in these spots or you aint going to ever win one like this.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
...............mmmm..Just echoing similar thoughts..http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=115471&postcount=10
PS..You misspelled 'bitch'..:cool:

View attachment 8579

PSS..Tyler, I do not plan on making the bank, shooting it at pocket speed !..(its about 1 in 10/15)...If that's the best shot I'm going to get to win the game, I might as well shoot the 3-railer, and play shape !..(assuming I don't get the kiss, which looks to me, to be almost unavoidable)...I'm simply trying to leave Efren 'awkward', and try to get a BETTER chance at getting a few balls !...Rome was not built in a day, ya know !

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
There aint no shot here, down 7 zip. Too many balls out of play. I would show patience and allow balls to accumulate. I would try and leave my "soldiers" in place and then keep trying to improve my situation. One way would be to make a seemingly passive shot and kick softly into the six ball cub on the back rail and open them up slightly, possibly affording me a chance to somehow put them in play on my side later. Marcel Camp would call that a pass shot, whereby you just wait for something better to show up.

To me, one of the weakest things you can do in onepocket is to shoot at a dim- chance bank where you cant get either, more, or enough balls to justify the risk. You should instead use your inning to try and accumulate more balls for your side, and leave the bank there to be used possibly at a time when making it would be more beneficial.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There aint no shot here, down 7 zip. Too many balls out of play. I would show patience and allow balls to accumulate. I would try and leave my "soldiers" in place and then keep trying to improve my situation. One way would be to make a seemingly passive shot and kick softly into the six ball cub on the back rail and open them up slightly, possibly affording me a chance to somehow put them in play on my side later. Marcel Camp would call that a pass shot, whereby you just wait for something better to show up.

To me, one of the weakest things you can do in onepocket is to shoot at a dim- chance bank where you cant get either, more, or enough balls to justify the risk. You should instead use your inning to try and accumulate more balls for your side, and leave the bank there to be used possibly at a time when making it would be more beneficial.

Beard
Kinda understand your thoughts, but imo much too passive of a shot. The problem I see with your option is you may allow your opponent to move the 2ball to a less problematic spot on the table which would make things too comfortable for him in subsequent innings. By positioning the 3ball near your pocket at the foot end of the table you can very likely create a problem for your opponent that will apply pressure on him. Pressure has a way of opening up doors, pressure...pressure...pressure.:D:D

Plus I disagree that there are too many balls out of play, I see five balls that are gettable for the shooter unless he allows his opponent to rearrange them to where they are not. :sorry

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Beard

Shit. That advice is worth another $30 book. I'm not jokin'. Even if this were not the best advice for this shot in this game, its damn good advice to add to your quiver when playing one pocket. Its part of the mind set.