AZ Layout...whadah yah shoot? Your pocket is too your right your shot. Thx III

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like soft kicking the 3/13 combo over to my side leaving him glued to the stack. Looks like they are froze so its a pretty soft hit which also helps your cue ball to lay on the stack.
I like that too
Except you might leave a bank on the 3

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
do you really think thats the best shot here whitey?
what do you think your % make is on it?
The reason I stated the double cross corner, was it is not possible to see if the 5 actually cuts, and it appears it is a safe bank for the cb will travel safe. % of making it on today's cushions, about 0% because they do not accept double cross corner banks. You are right, not a good choice on today's tables. That part of banks are all but gone, sadly. I recall Wimpy doing a double cross corner bank to beat Shorty on Johnston City OP, does days are gone.
I could of stated bank the 4 but that has been done, so I stated another option. Not many to choose from for an offensive shot, defensive shots are easy on this wwyd, and probably the best choice, and wait for a better scoring or positioning shot. Defensive; roll the 5 to the rail and lay the cb up against the 13, simple and gets another ball on my side. Of course there are other easy defensive shots.

thanks for bringing me back to reality, does banks do not work on these tables, I believe the cut is there! Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The reason I stated the double cross corner, was it is not possible to see if the 5 actually cuts, and it appears it is a safe bank for the cb will travel safe. % of making it on today's cushions, about 0% because they do not accept double cross corner banks. You are right, not a good choice on today's tables. That part of banks are all but gone, sadly. I recall Wimpy doing a double cross corner bank to beat Shorty on Johnston City OP, does days are gone.
I could of stated bank the 4 but that has been done, so I stated another option. Not many to choose from for an offensive shot, defensive shots are easy on this wwyd, and probably the best choice, and wait for a better scoring or positioning shot. Defensive; roll the 5 to the rail and lay the cb up against the 13, simple and gets another ball on my side. Of course there are other easy defensive shots.

thanks for bringing me back to reality, does banks do not work on these tables, I believe the cut is there! Whitey
Thanks for the reply whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I like soft kicking the 3/13 combo over to my side leaving him glued to the stack. Looks like they are froze so its a pretty soft hit which also helps your cue ball to lay on the stack.
That's a sensible shot, either into the 13 or off the 5. The only danger is blocking the lanes that the 6, 2 & 10 already have to the hole.

You being a banks player gives credence to NOT shooting the 4ball straight back. If the 4 is not either made or left near the pocket on the long rail, the opponent can shift the advantage. It is not an easy bank to make or to control the CB. Top players might shoot it with impunity. But the rest of us........

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
That's a sensible shot, either into the 13 or off the 5. The only danger is blocking the lanes that the 6, 2 & 10 already have to the hole.

You being a banks player gives credence to NOT shooting the 4ball straight back. If the 4 is not either made or left near the pocket on the long rail, the opponent can shift the advantage. It is not an easy bank to make or to control the CB. Top players might shoot it with impunity. But the rest of us........

I was shooting at the wrong hole...lol

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Don't leave us hanging Bill... so what did the shooter do? Surely they did not bank the 4 ? :)
I looked at his posts and this is about the best response I can give from his threads/copy paste.

If not 3 rails I’m going 11 off the top rail and back to the stack hopefully nicking the 6 on way and leaving him right behind the 5.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Anyone thinking of banking the 11 ball 3 rails, will be in for a rude awakening!

Any player that's played pool for more than 1 month knows, shooting the CB or banking and OB 3rails, (long, short, long) to an opposite pocket will soon realize that on a Pool table the third cushion return to a corner is diamond 3 or more instead of the conventional 2nd diamond on a 3C table. Maybe you may find a pool table with a 2.5 return, (New cloth).

In this photo, not only is Not (on the numbers) but the, 14, 4, 11 and 6 ball are all in the lanes!

The line thru the 3rd diamond across the table, gives the perspective to actually where the 14 and 4 ball lie.

Take a look.

A little tip: As opposed to shooting the CB 3 cushions, (where the exact English can be controlled), banking the OB will Not take the same effect, will not have as much effect.

NO3raileron11.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
For what it's worth, here is my first attempt to get the shot into Virtual Pool. I think this makes it easier to see clearances and angles rather than try to figure that out from the single angled camera shot. Also shown is what happens if you try to bank the four and don't quite have enough speed. (I know the positions of the balls in the rack are not real accurate. I think you can see the angle for the cut on the 5 OK.)

CropperCapture[782].png

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I always find it nice to see another non hard cores....perspectives thoughts on this moment in time. Like our kids, they at times are OUR teachers they are right almost 20% or more. :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W41TcsWqr9ye1ZAg7
This is from Ghost vs. John 29 wwyd. OneRock thought this was the greatest wwyd ever, I agree.
The 3rd. diamond on my table lines up with the corner pocket. I think on today's tables it is 2-1/2 diamonds that lines up with the corner, but will stand corrected if it is not. I do not play on them!
As per mr3c diagram it is very tight at 2-1/2 plus the 8-3 are on the right side of the spot as we look at it, making it tight between the 6 and the 3, not to mention getting by the 4 ball in the first place. Nice diagram!

But as I questioned, how did his actual 3c bank on the 11 turn out? There is lots of danger, for there has to be some force envolved to do 3c bank, and balls could sell out.
Enjoy! Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W41TcsWqr9ye1ZAg7
This is from Ghost vs. John 29 wwyd. OneRock thought this was the greatest wwyd ever, I agree.
The 3rd. diamond on my table lines up with the corner pocket. I think on today's tables it is 2-1/2 diamonds that lines up with the corner, but will stand corrected if it is not. I do not play on them!
As per mr3c diagram it is very tight at 2-1/2 plus the 8-3 are on the right side of the spot as we look at it, making it tight between the 6 and the 3, not to mention getting by the 4 ball in the first place. Nice diagram!

But as I questioned, how did his actual 3c bank on the 11 turn out? There is lots of danger, for there has to be some force envolved to do 3c bank, and balls could sell out.
Enjoy! Whitey
Wow. What a shot, and what a stroke!

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
If I was playing a weaker player there is no doubt that I would shoot "crabbcatjohn's" shot and send balls to my side or to the head of the table. I would begin with softly shooting into the frozen 3 and 13-balls. However, if I was playing a stronger player I might be inclined to shoot the 4-ball bank shot toward my pocket.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.