APPLETON MILLER WWYD?

lll

Verified Member
Larry,
In most instances you are correct about not leaving a ball near your opponents pocket when there is an opportunity to remove it... however in this instance, the 10 is a ball that helps solidify the trap... with the cb left in the intended position
( on or very close to the 4/11 )
It would be very easy to kick in the 15 ball and escape the trap, however with the 10 being left in a very bankable position, that option is not viable...
Jeff
Thanks for explaining your thinking about the shot
Learning how a champions mind thinks is priceless
:) :)
thats what makes this site so special
To learn from players who have been there and done that at a very high level
We are lucky you guys will shsre your knowledge and experience
THANKS.... (y)

vapros

Verified Member
Freezing on the 4-11 would be nice, but I don't like to jack up and I would really hate to hit it badly. At the risk of being a nonconformist (again), if the 6 ball is available I will shoot right through it and get Jojo under the 10 ball. I think he would give me the 15 ball and I'm good with that. Maybe I will like my next shot better.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
If I think I can avoid the 4 ball hitting back into me off the rail, I might fire a stop shot into the 13 this multi ball carom off the 7 and 6 to make the 2 ball pocket the 15 ball. If this is dead, I am going all out.
If not dead and I can freeze cue ball on the 8 with a stop shot.
I think Darren is more conservative.appleton miller wwyd pic 3.png

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Here is a safe shot that is conservative but easy to execute. I always try and block the path of the 15 here with the 1 ball.
appleton miller wwyd pic 1.png

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
What about slightly back cutting the bank on the 14 to our side, and having the cb follow underneath the 10.
or,
cutting the 14 into the rail behind the 10, pocketing the 14 off the 10 and sending the 10 to our side, w/ cb going to side rail w/ inside reverse english and spinning back into the 9. This sets up a wall of balls 9/2/6 protecting the 15 and 10. Whitey

OneRock

Verified Member
What about slightly back cutting the bank on the 14 to our side, and having the cb follow underneath the 10.
or,
cutting the 14 into the rail behind the 10, pocketing the 14 off the 10 and sending the 10 to our side, w/ cb going to side rail w/ inside reverse english and spinning back into the 9. This sets up a wall of balls 9/2/6 protecting the 15 and 10. Whitey

Whitey, you're asking for too much. I think banking the 14 and tucking the CB in between the 4 and 11 is simple and very effective. You'll take care of the 10 when you improve your position. One move at a time.

12squared

Verified Member
What if you slam into the 3 ball and hold the cue ball in the stack? The 3 would carom of the 5 and go towards the 10 to clear it or make it. As long as the 9 ball is not moved you should be safe no matter what happens to the balls you out in play.

OldSchool

Verified Member
Here is a safe shot that is conservative but easy to execute.

View attachment 433054

Because you are having to jack up off of the rail to shoot the 14ball shot...if you don't have the skill to hit it perfectly (and most average players do not)...then the above diagrammed shot (a very common "response to the break" shot) is the best shot to choose here.

Old School

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Whitey, you're asking for too much. I think banking the 14 and tucking the CB in between the 4 and 11 is simple and very effective. You'll take care of the 10 when you improve your position. One move at a time.
Good advice!
Hey guys, do not be surprised if the shot is the 8/12 combo to score. It could be on, and if so, he is shooting it.
Larry, the suspense is high, nice wwyd! Whitey

J.R.

Verified Member
Just kill the cb on the 4/11... and bank the 14 to the top side of your pocket... he’s trapped...

I also would bank the 14-ball. On this shot selection I would play 100% cue ball with my focus to kill the cue ball as close to the 11-ball without disturbing it thereby creating a jacked up position which would hamper my opponent's return safety (if he chose the 3-5-ball combination and draw the cue ball back near the gap between the 11-ball and 4-ball).

lll

Verified Member
darren shot the 14 under the 10 to clear it out
got alittle fortunate and left miller like this
appleton miller wwyd shot.pngappleton miller wwyd result.png

lll

Verified Member
you couldnt have the 14 hit the 10 and snuggle on the 4/11
you have to hit the left side of the 14 alittle to do that
but you could bank it to your side and snuggle
that was a good suggestion jeff and others who liked a variation of this

OldSchool

Verified Member
Because you are having to jack up off of the rail to shoot the 14ball shot...if you don't have the skill to hit it perfectly (and most average players do not)...then the above diagrammed shot by Chicago fats (a very common "response to the break" shot) is the best shot to choose here.

Like I said in the above post #29. And Appleton does have the skills but hit it bad, shooting the shot in such a way so that the 10 and 9 came back at his cueball. As Larry said, he just got lucky that it didn't cost him the game right then.

Old School

vapros

Verified Member
Man, he whacked this shot pretty good! He's a fine player, and no doubt the thin hit on the 10 ball was by design, but I wonder how much of the rest of it he foresaw. So many things could have happened. Look at the route of the 14, as it went rail, billiard, billiard, billiard, rail and then out to the middle of the table. All helpful touches.

A fine poser, Larry, and great pictures - thanks.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
i find the discussions often teach more than what the pro shot
jmho
When I think of great movers in the game, Darren is not in the mix. Great rotation player, but has a lot to learn about 1 pocket imo

cincy_kid

Verified Member
That's why when you shoot that shot you punch forward to get cb closer to rail and out of collision range as I stated in first reply :)

He got lucky, ty for the wwyd Larry!