Another Tough Choice

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
9,536
Location
Ghosttown
Okay, I was playing today and had another tough shot choice...

The score is 5 to 5 and I have pocket A...

I can cut the 5 in, or I can bank the 1 twice cross-corner, stopping the cueball for position for the 5ball next if I happen to make the bank, or a snooker behind the 5 if I get the 1 close to my hole...if I shoot the 5, I have a very good chance of making it and going ahead 6 to 5...if I shoot the bank (which is laying very good angle-wise), I have a chance of making it, and the 5 next, and getting on the hill...

Speaking for myself - for me, this is about a 50/50 choice...if I was in this same position 6 different times, I might choose each shot three times each, just depending on what I felt like shooting at the time...

Which shot would you guys shoot?

- Gho$t

PS, And Papie, for a change, instead of making a joke :rolleyes: why don't you say seriously what you would shoot - I know that Larry for one, would like to see that.


[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AbHH1EaPl2HYUg2LaqN2OVEj1PKhs4QdGr@[/CUETABLE]
 
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
One Pocket Ghost said:
Okay, I was playing today and had another tough shot choice...

The score is 5 to 5 and I have pocket A...

I can cut the 5 in, or I can bank the 1 twice cross-corner, stopping the cueball for position for the 5ball next if I happen to make the bank, or a snooker behind the 5 if I get the 1 close to my hole...if I shoot the 5, I have a very good chance of making it and going ahead 6 to 5...if I shoot the bank (which is laying very good angle-wise), I have a chance of making it, and the 5 next, and getting on the hill...

Speaking for myself - for me, this is about a 50/50 choice...if I was in this same position 6 different times, I might choose each shot three times each, just depending on what I felt like shooting at the time...

Which shot would you guys shoot?

- Gho$t



[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AbHH1EaXo2HYdf2LaqN2OVUj1PKhs4QdGr@[/CUETABLE]

As you said, it couldn't lay any better...If you don't double bank the one, and hide it from your opponent, almost every time, (while getting it close, or making it)..you will need serious weight from both John and I..:cool:

El Duck <---would not get up out of the electic chair, to shoot the 5 ball...(even once out of 6 times)...What are you, a 'closet' 9 ball player ?..:eek:
 
Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
Location
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Okay, I was playing today and had another tough shot choice...

The score is 5 to 5 and I have pocket A...

I can cut the 5 in, or I can bank the 1 twice cross-corner, stopping the cueball for position for the 5ball next if I happen to make the bank, or a snooker behind the 5 if I get the 1 close to my hole...if I shoot the 5, I have a very good chance of making it and going ahead 6 to 5...if I shoot the bank (which is laying very good angle-wise), I have a chance of making it, and the 5 next, and getting on the hill...

Speaking for myself - for me, this is about a 50/50 choice...if I was in this same position 6 different times, I might choose each shot three times each, just depending on what I felt like shooting at the time...

Which shot would you guys shoot?

- Gho$t

PS, And Papie, for a change, instead of making a joke :rolleyes: why don't you say seriously what you would shoot - I know that Larry for one, would like to see that.


[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AbHH1EaXo2HYdf2LaqN2OVUj1PKhs4QdGr@[/CUETABLE]
Sweet editing job after you saw that the Duck was responding to your post:D

I'd also shoot the two-railer.
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
9,536
Location
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Sweet editing job after you saw that the Duck was responding to your post :D

I'd also shoot the two-railer.


No Dennis...I was writing that at the same time as he was - I didn't know he was posting right then.

- Gost
 

blackeee

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
877
Location
Jackson, Tn
One Pocket Ghost said:
Okay, I was playing today and had another tough shot choice...

The score is 5 to 5 and I have pocket A...

I can cut the 5 in, or I can bank the 1 twice cross-corner, stopping the cueball for position for the 5ball next if I happen to make the bank, or a snooker behind the 5 if I get the 1 close to my hole...if I shoot the 5, I have a very good chance of making it and going ahead 6 to 5...if I shoot the bank (which is laying very good angle-wise), I have a chance of making it, and the 5 next, and getting on the hill...

Speaking for myself - for me, this is about a 50/50 choice...if I was in this same position 6 different times, I might choose each shot three times each, just depending on what I felt like shooting at the time...

Which shot would you guys shoot?

- Gho$t

PS, And Papie, for a change, instead of making a joke :rolleyes: why don't you say seriously what you would shoot - I know that Larry for one, would like to see that.


[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AbHH1EaPl2HYdf2LaqN2OVUj1PKhs4QdGr@[/CUETABLE]


I'd double bank the 1.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Cowboy Dennis said:
Hey, I took a shot:)

Please stop the juvenile "barb trading"...You are pissing off the serious guys..:(

Duck <---Gave a serious educated reply...you bozo's..

PS..Being as I am W/O YJ...I cannot stand you guy's...I'm going to bed !!!
 

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
11,123
Location
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Please stop the juvenile "barb trading"...You are pissing off the serious guys..:(

Duck <---Gave a serious educated reply...you bozo's..

PS..Being as I am W/O YJ...I cannot stand you guy's...I'm going to bed !!!
I thought I could outmove the Ghost, how much of an idiot am I?
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
9,536
Location
Ghosttown
So far everybody's loving the bank, but I don't think it's so definitely the only choice...after all, all you have to do is hit the bank a couple of inches too soft or two hard, have it end up like in my wei diagram, and your opponent just banks the 5 straight back over for an easy safety >>>

Conversely, a decent shooter is going to probably have about a 70-80% likelihood of making the cut shot.

- Goast



[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATIe1EaPl2HYdf2LaqN2OVUj1PbPb4QdGr1YaPl4YNEo2YMlw1kbPb1kaou1kbur@[/CUETABLE]
 

beatle

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
2,960
sometimes you need to take the free shot. make it or hang it up will be the out come. you can get two anyway as you may still get on your side for the three rail on the one. or even better two rail the 15 and get out maybe.

things can go wrong with the double bank. like you hit it too hard and leave him a cut shot. or he simply gets out of your badly designed trap.
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
9,359
Location
New Hampshire
I can see either shot here, depending on how I felt approaching the table. I think you have more to gain with the two railer, but you're going to come up empty more often shooting it, too -- as in not making it and having your opponent either knock it away or do something creative with the 5-ball. With the cut, you are going to either pick up a ball or leave it close (as long as you miss the "point" :eek:
 

Gerry

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
77
Location
S.E. PA.
maybe it's a "9baller" shot to go for the 5, but theres the 5 or 6 out of 10 making it, but also the % if you miss you will hang it making the opponent deal with the 5 by your hole. I think you really have to hit it really bad to go wrong shooting it.
 

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2010
Messages
51
I'd cut the 5 in leaving the Q ball to 3 rail the 1 (stopping the Q ball) with enough speed to leave the 1 close to my pocket. The 1 wont hit the 12 but will go into diamond 3 because the 1 is on diamond 2.

If by chance the 1 should go, 2 rail the 15 toward your pocket and put the Q ball behind the 2 balls on the rail.

John
 

timdog24

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
182
SJDinPHX said:
...If you don't double bank the one, and hide it from your opponent, almost every time, (while getting it close, or making it)..you will need serious weight from both John and I..:cool:

I'm pretty sure I'd shoot the 5 almost every time. Does this mean I can get serious weight from Dick and John?:D
 

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,417
Location
New Braunfels tx.
timdog24 said:
SJDinPHX said:
...If you don't double bank the one, and hide it from your opponent, almost every time, (while getting it close, or making it)..you will need serious weight from both John and I..:cool:

I'm pretty sure I'd shoot the 5 almost every time. Does this mean I can get serious weight from Dick and John?:D

If so I'll be your partner to add some age to the mix. I'd shoot the 5 also.
Rod.
 

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
9,536
Location
Ghosttown
That's funny....last night all 5 guys that answered liked the bank better...this morning everybody likes the cut shot better...

...except for Steve Booth, who is the only person so far, who's like me = likes the shots equally, and might pick either one on a given day...

...course we haven't heard from Grady's ex yet :eek: :p Dr. Incardona....he, I'm sure, will come with the probabilities/percentages for us...he'll say something like...;) >>>

"Well, let me explain...Now if you're a good player, and you've seen weakness in your opponent, and the pockets are somewhat tight, etc. etc. then you must figure on actually making the 2-rail bank about 16.384925 % of the time, and you will snooker your opponent, etc. etc. etc %.....however if you shoot the 5 instead, etc. etc. etc.....therefore, you should etc.etc.etc........repositioning the cueball etc. etc. etc."


- Gho$t

PS, We did however, get an opinion last night, from a different doctor - but he was a quack doctor...:p :p
 
Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
858
Ghost I agree. The 2 railer also leaves a ball low for him to bank if he has the ability to cut the "blocking ball" in. Or maybe he simply plays the "Blocking ball" up and down two rails at his hole pocket speed.

Any scenario, gives a great player what he wants - a chance to be great. WHY GIVE THAT UP???

I am taking the freebie cut here, and how I feel about it determines whether I redirect the cueball on the shot. Nearing the end game, I am taking a ball. As now, one mistake from the opponent can be victory.


One Pocket Ghost said:
So far everybody's loving the bank, but I don't think it's so definitely the only choice...after all, all you have to do is hit the bank a couple of inches too soft or two hard, have it end up like in my wei diagram, and your opponent just banks the 5 straight back over for an easy safety >>>

Conversely, a decent shooter is going to probably have about a 70-80% likelihood of making the cut shot.

- Goast



[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATIe1EaPl2HYdf2LaqN2OVUj1PbPb4QdGr1YaPl4YNEo2YMlw1kbPb1kaou1kbur@[/CUETABLE]
 

wincardona

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
7,568
Location
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
That's funny....last night all 5 guys that answered liked the bank better...this morning everybody likes the cut shot better...

...except for Steve Booth, who is the only person so far, who's like me = likes the shots equally, and might pick either one on a given day...

...course we haven't heard from Grady's ex yet Dr. Incardona....he, I'm sure, will come with the probabilities/percentages for us...he'll say something like...;) >>>

"Well, let me explain...Now if you're a good player, and you've seen weakness in your opponent, and the pockets are somewhat tight, etc. etc. then you must figure on actually making the 2-rail bank about 16.384925 % of the time, and you will snooker your opponent, etc. etc. etc %.....however if you shoot the 5 instead, etc. etc. etc.....therefore, you should etc.etc.etc........repositioning the cueball etc. etc. etc."


- Gho$t

PS, We did however, get an opinion last night, from a different doctor - but he was a quack doctor...:p :p
Bruce, this isn't one of your top interest getters, not much of a choice in terms of instructional value but I will offer my opinion on my choice and why, without the complicated %:p

The ball that speaks loudest here isn't the 1 ball nor the 5 ball, it's the 8 ball. The 8 ball is telling you not to cut the 5 ball because he will be there to create problems for you, so a much safer choice would be the double bank on the 5 ball, which by the way carries a much better chance of getting 2 balls or even getting out. Had the 8 ball been positioned closer to the 12 ball I would then shoot the 5 ball, in a heart beat. But it isn't so I choose to slow my heart beat and shoot the double bank.:D

Billy I.
 
Top