ANOTHER RAFAEL MARTINEZ WWYD

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You have to shoot the brown ball next and try for shape next to continue your run. It doesn't look like anything else goes in the stack unless you disturb some balls.

I probably focus on making the ball with some RHE and play the CB over to his long rail. From there depending on exactly where I end up I either play the 2/14 combo, eliminate the 2/14 from his pocket area, bank the 2 ball 3 rails and use the 14 for cover or bank the 1 ball and draw behind the 2/14.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well I'd have to cut in the 7 ball here for sure, but there's not a lot available after that unless you use inside english and come off the foot rail into the stack to open up some balls.

From the overhead view it looks like there's enough room between the 2 and 14 to where you could carom thin off the 2ball, pocketing the 14, and having the 2 bank cross-corner to make it or leave it near your pocket. That's an R. Martinez shot...:cool:

Island Drive

Verified Member
Since I've played Rafa many times here's how he thinks, and I'd be surprised if he didn't take this shot.
Rafa cuts the seven makes it, & comes 6 rails....drops in behind the 2/14 and lays straight in on the 14.

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
Shoot the 7 and drag draw the cb 2 rails to nudge the 2 ball to get on the 14 ball. I believe the angle is to thick for Island drives shot

OldSchool

Verified Member
Since I've played Rafa many times here's how he thinks, and I'd be surprised if he didn't take this shot.
Rafa cuts the seven makes it, & comes 6 rails....drops in behind the 2/14 and lays straight in on the 14.

Yes, excellent 3cushion player Rafael will always shoot that shot when it's available, as will all knowledgeable one pocket players.

Old School

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like it of course as indicated with my emoji, but can the CB hit below the 9 and still make it to the head rail for cushion 3? Because it cant get there by hitting after the side pocket.

vapros

Verified Member
I like Jimmy B's shot on the 14 - 2. I had picked it out, but I would have hit the 2 ball first, very thin. Almost sure to get a kiss, but not too harmful. I think it would have cleared out the corner, but Jimmy might do it better.

beatle

Verified Member
for me i shoot the 7 in with inside english to hit the 13 and break up the 13,5 combo and keep making balls if it falls okay.

for him play the billiard off the 15 to the 7 and break up all the balls and just run out.

we dont know the true score so that may have an effect on his shot.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Looks like it lays ok... It’s probably what I’d shoot... try to catch the 2 ball full coming off the 5th rail and bump it a little... Shoot the 14 next...

OneRock

Verified Member

Except that he's not looking at the 7. Jimmy B. might have gotten it right.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Except that he's not looking at the 7. Jimmy B. might have gotten it right.

Maybe, but I highly doubt it.. I never get one right.. I have a sneaky feeling he shoots Bigfoots shot.. I like that a lot....

J.R.

Verified Member
I set the shot up as depicted in the first photo. I shot it on a 9 foot blue label Diamond Pro Am. I was able to easily cut the 2-ball into Martinez's left corner pocket with low right spin which enabled the cue ball to come off the short rail and strike the stripe near my opponent's pocket. I executed this shot 10 times using different speeds with varying results but most importantly it rearranged either the stripe or both the stripe and solid balls that were near my opponent's pocket. A caveat to the shot is that on one occasion I made the stripe in my opponent's pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Martinez hit it great, but I have a hard time believing he actually intended to get 6 rail position on the 14...:cautious: He obviously was playing the CB to the opponent's corner, but he likely didn't know exactly where it would end up.

catkins

Verified Member
I would bet he knew fairly surely where he was going to hit the 5th rail with in an inch due to his 3 cushion experience

Reactions: lll