Another question for Billy I.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
With what happened in this match I was wondering... If guys like Jimmy Fusco, or Artie or any of the super tough movers from years ago had 7 to 0 leads on Dennis in that match same equipment in your opinion would Dennis been able to win those games or was there defense so good they wouldnt have given Dennis any air in THOSE spots.. Im just referring to those games... I never saw Artie or Jimmy play but I have heard they were brutal about giving up any shots...

P.S. How would Eddie Taylor have done against Dennis? I realize different era, balls etc.. just an educated guess would be nice..

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
With what happened in this match I was wondering... If guys like Jimmy Fusco, or Artie or any of the super tough movers from years ago had 7 to 0 leads on Dennis in that match same equipment in your opinion would Dennis been able to win those games or was there defense so good they wouldnt have given Dennis any air in THOSE spots.. Im just referring to those games... I never saw Artie or Jimmy play but I have heard they were brutal about giving up any shots...

P.S. How would Eddie Taylor have done against Dennis? I realize different era, balls etc.. just an educated guess would be nice..

I'll answer re. Artie...since I saw Artie play in his prime way more than Billy did...

Artie would never in a million years have left Dennis the opportunities, or made the strategically unsound moves, that Scott did...

Artie couldn't care less about accolades to feed his ego, or shooting "oh wow" shots...all he ever set out to do when he played, was grind his opponents face in the dirt, and get the money.

- Ghost

beatle

Verified Member
i hope billy comes in but my take is that in the old days most all played much tighter. so the great players of that era didnt have to contend with as many run outs and playing against opened up tables from aggressive shots as much.

the top players play a very different game, which was started by ronnnie allen.

back then and still now with weaker players you see lots of games with three balls left on the table. not so anymore with the top players.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I'm not billy of course, I hope he comes in too, but I just can't help but think if moving super tight like those guys would work we'd see guys play like that nowadays (it's not like some mystical, unattainable knowledge to be able to move super tight). But the truth is we see them shoot more and take more chances because they've learned their offense is so strong it's good to take those better than even money shots. I think, in general, if we brought those guys back in their primes what would happen is they'd watch say Alex play and say he's taking the wrong shot and meanwhile pag would run out.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Artie, Fusco, Varner, and Hopkins are just four players that come to mind and they all respected the score and knew how to protect leads. I can't see Artie blowing 7 to 0 leads, there's no way he loses a game leading 7 to 0 unless all balls are in play and his opponent comes with a flyer and runs out.

I believe that there are quite a few players, top players that don't put enough emphasis on protecting leads, i've seen too many large leads go down because players shoot ill advised shots. Players today at least a large percentage of them are geared to play aggressively and because of that they are quick to shoot an aggressive risky shot when their leading. Do I think that's right? Of course not, but they do win games with that mindset but imo not enough to off set the ones they lose. Pagulayan, and Orcullo are solid players not only because they strike balls great, and not because they have a good cue ball but they also play the score well, yes that's what makes them tough to beat they just have better table management then most all other one pocket players of today.

That's one of the things that I like about the Hackers game, he plays the score well and protects leads the way the game is supposed to be played. In spite of him being a "Cabbage Head"

Every one have a nice day.

Dr. Bill