Another bad pool day

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I am bringing this up on this forum since I know there are a lot guys who have been around quite while and have a lot on knowledge. I play just about every day and while I am no world beater I do think I play a decent game. First I should state that I am now 79 and in about as expected condition, eye sight might not be as good as it was years ago, had major back issues which make stretching for a shot difficult, but overall I am not in too bad a shape. Recently, I have had days when it's like I never played the game before, this seems to happen when I play the rotations games. I miss shots that I normally don't, position play is terrible, I just don't have the same "feel" for the games as usual. I realize that every ones game has ups and downs but this seems more than just normal deviation. What do you think? Is this mental, physical or a combination of both. Is it just due to age?

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
seems more than just normal deviation
There are the obvious inquiries such as; Are you playing with different
a. Cue
b. Eyeglasses
c. Table/Balls
Or other changes in your routine such as
Travel distance/time
Skipping breakfast or meals/change in diet/hydration

Sometimes concentration is just hard to muster. Even when I think I'm applying myself many times I find that I can focus even more, but it does take a great deal of effort.

Pool is a fickle endeavor. But you'll get it worked out, Bob.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Well, know you are not alone. When it happens to me I try to do a few simple things:

I concentrate on keeping my head and body still;

I slightly pause on my back stroke before transitioning to the business end of the stroke;

and I exaggerate my follow through each stroke making sure it's straight.

That's all I think about. I start feeling my stroke again and can begin playing pool once that good feeling is back.

...and don't forget to smile.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I am bringing this up on this forum since I know there are a lot guys who have been around quite while and have a lot on knowledge. I play just about every day and while I am no world beater I do think I play a decent game. First I should state that I am now 79 and in about as expected condition, eye sight might not be as good as it was years ago, had major back issues which make stretching for a shot difficult, but overall I am not in too bad a shape. Recently, I have had days when it's like I never played the game before, this seems to happen when I play the rotations games. I miss shots that I normally don't, position play is terrible, I just don't have the same "feel" for the games as usual. I realize that every ones game has ups and downs but this seems more than just normal deviation. What do you think? Is this mental, physical or a combination of both. Is it just due to age?
Yes, it's age. One's sense of balance, his nervous system and coordination all start slipping when becoming over age 65. Eyesight of course can be a problem. All that hurts one's confidence. Personally my game is about 75% of what it was even 10 years ago. I'm 77.

It's trustworthy advice to check one's fundamentals: stance, alignment and stroke (follow-through). But everyone's game gradually slips due to Father Time. Just trying to cheer you up, Bob....😄

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I’ve learned to take my pre shot routine from the golf course to the pool table. In golf I have a “think box” and a “play box”. Look it up. It has become very popular with golfers and can be applied to pool. At 75 I’ll try anything to make up for aging. I think at this age the mental side plays a big role in non contact sports.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Brookeland Billy hit the nail on the head. As we age, pre shot routine and lining up for the shot, is more important than when we were younger I was hitting them pretty good before COVID and my illness, and paying a lot of attention to my stance and routine helped me stay focused, which is another problem for us old guys.

I had developed a bad habit of leaning forward a little when I got down on the shot, and could not believe the shots I was missing. A fellow player at Hard Times kept harping at me to move my body back a couple inches, and it worked.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
There is no one rule that applies to everybody. Some people age better than others. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle you can still be reasonably good at pool, even at 79. There are a number of good longevity examples in our sports - George Rood (rumour has it that he ran 90 in straight pool on his 90th birthday), Cowboy Jimmy Moore (who was still winning tournaments well into his 70's), Onofrio Lauri (who was still quite competitive into his 70's), Fred Davis (who played snooker professionally into his 70's and still placed high in tournaments)

It sounds to me like you may have made some drastic changes to your alignment/sighting without realising it. As others have suggested, pay attention to your PSR (pre shot routine) and you should get back on track !

Another thought - it could be mental fatigue too given that you have been playing almost every day. When that happens to me, I normally take a break from the game for a couple of weeks. It helps!

Last edited:

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Thanks for the replies, played yesterday (1P) and I was back to normal. While 1P is my favorite game not all the players here feel the same. We don't have a large group so sometimes I have to play rotation games, also some of our players are not that advanced enough to play 1P. I think I can deal with the ups and downs and at 79 I'm just happy to be able to play as much as I do.

youngstown

Verified Member
Cool be a lot of things. Often for me it’s just mood/stress. If you’re dealing with this then your mind isn’t at its best to do what is required in this game, or likely any game…

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I know it probably sounds silly , since you say you play almost every day . But, do you ever practice? If it were me , I think I would take a few days off being in a game situation , and just go back to basics and make sure you haven't picked up a bad habit or two {video yourself} you might be surprised at what you find. Having someone watch me, never worked for me , {they stopped paying attention after about 14 seconds.}
After the basics are ok , do some pocketing drills and see if maybe you are getting down on the ball differently because of pain or dunlop disease, or eyes not in the same place. If something major did not happen recently , it isn't logical that you would deteriorate so fast.
Good luck, and { if you start beating all your old opponents, jelly is always welcome! }

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I know it probably sounds silly , since you say you play almost every day . But, do you ever practice? If it were me , I think I would take a few days off being in a game situation , and just go back to basics and make sure you haven't picked up a bad habit or two {video yourself} you might be surprised at what you find. Having someone watch me, never worked for me , {they stopped paying attention after about 14 seconds.}
After the basics are ok , do some pocketing drills and see if maybe you are getting down on the ball differently because of pain or dunlop disease, or eyes not in the same place. If something major did not happen recently , it isn't logical that you would deteriorate so fast.
Good luck, and { if you start beating all your old opponents, jelly is always welcome! }
I appreciate what you say and I think it's fortunate that there isn't any real pressure to perform. It's just a bunch of old guys playing pool, Maybe some days I just don't have the same focus. I have given up on any real competition, still like to play my best though.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I appreciate what you say and I think it's fortunate that there isn't any real pressure to perform. It's just a bunch of old guys playing pool, Maybe some days I just don't have the same focus. I have given up on any real competition, still like to play my best though.
Maybe try something else once in a while. Might be getting burnt out.

Last edited: