Andy vs. OPG WWYD?

keoneyo

Verified Member
Nope hate both shots.
I still like putting the ball near my hole upstairs near the 6 and using the frozen balls as a blocker forcing my opponent to play safe off the spotted balls. Preferably with the rock frozen to the bottom rail. A great percentage of the times he will leave a productive shot.

Yes youre putting a ball out of play but youre forcing your opponent to play a delicate shot. One if he miscalculates can get you back into the game.

The other 2 shots if miscalculated will definitely cause a bead to be moved on your opponents side in his favor.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
P.S. The Ghost obviously forgot that you can't touch spotting ball to the cue ball..OOPS...

I didn't forget that at all...maybe you dog it when you spot up a ball next to the cueball..:sorry..I don't - when I spot it, it takes a magnifying glass to see the open space between them - just about as good as frozen...:cool:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Nope hate both shots.
I still like putting the ball near my hole upstairs near the 6 and using the frozen balls as a blocker forcing my opponent to play safe off the spotted balls. Preferably with the rock frozen to the bottom rail. A great percentage of the times he will leave a productive shot.

Yes youre putting a ball out of play but youre forcing your opponent to play a delicate shot. One if he miscalculates can get you back into the game.

The other 2 shots if miscalculated will definitely cause a bead to be moved on your opponents side in his favor.

keoneyo
I agree with Doc that its late and something has to be done. But if I feel I can out move and out grind this guy I try to send the ball on the rail on my side to the top and block the balls with the spotted 2 balls so my opponent is forced to play a safe off those 2 balls on the spot.
Opening them up for me and possibly leaving me a bank to my hole.

I know this is antithesis to the principle of the game to keep all balls in play but youre in a sticky situation here.

The thing is NEVER GIVE UP.
By forcing him to play a safe off the spotted balls you put him in a defensive position.

I must be missing something here, explain please.

Starting from the original position what exactly are you trying to accomplish? What type of stroke are you using when you move the lone ball from your side to your opponents side and where do you intend to play the cue ball to? I can't imagine how your shot (if i'm envisioning it right) accomplishes anything, actually it's the opposite imo. Sorry, please explain, thanks.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Wow you champs take a lot of intentional fouls. :frus

Rod, your reluctance to take intentional's stemmed from you always playing better players and you didn't want to trade intentional's with them. I can understand your thinking on that matter, however, taking intentional's in many cases are a distinct advantage and should be considered, like here for example.:sorry

Whens the last time you took an intentional? I'll bet you were either giving weight or playing even, right? I have never seen you post your choice of taking an intentional on any of the wwyd's, that's how much you must despise them.:lol

Have a nice day.

Dr. Bill

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
My reply

My reply

I don't want to stop the discussion because i did this to find out what you grizzled veterans would do.
I shot the three railer on the ball by my pocket and pulled the cue ball back to the bottom rail just left of where it is now. I only hit it hard enough hit the 6 and hide both balls like Keone said and forced him to go off the spotted balls. It worked because he gave me a bank to get two and make a ball in the side (same time as the second bank) .
I had a third bank on the 13 but it was a possible scratc( cueball in front of his side pocket and 13 about where the two first diamonds meet on rh top corner) I tried to elevate a little to hold the cue ball and butchered the bank leaving him on the top center of the table.
I spotted the ball in the side and he cut the spot shot like hanger with the 13 on second diamond on my side rail.
Note I would have taken other subsequent shot pics, but my opponent got enraged and accused me of stalling.:confused:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, your reluctance to take intentional's stemmed from you always playing better players and you didn't want to trade intentional's with them. I can understand your thinking on that matter, however, taking intentional's in many cases are a distinct advantage and should be considered, like here for example.:sorry

Whens the last time you took an intentional? I'll bet you were either giving weight or playing even, right? I have never seen you post your choice of taking an intentional on any of the wwyd's, that's how much you must despise them.:lol

Have a nice day.

Dr. Bill

Yes I understand your thinking, but in every thread ?

keoneyo

Verified Member
I must be missing something here, explain please.

Starting from the original position what exactly are you trying to accomplish? What type of stroke are you using when you move the lone ball from your side to your opponents side and where do you intend to play the cue ball to? I can't imagine how your shot (if i'm envisioning it right) accomplishes anything, actually it's the opposite imo. Sorry, please explain, thanks.

Dr. Bill

Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.
Edward Albee-Zoo Story-1951

I only hit it hard enough hit the 6 and hide both balls like Keone said and forced him to go off the spotted balls. It worked because he gave me a bank to get two and make a ball in the side (same time as the second bank).-One Pocket Guy-post#26

Left stun off the ball on your side putting whitey almost from whence it came only try to freeze on rail. Object ball by the 6. Using spotted balls as blockers forcing villain to play a safe off those spotted balls.

Now I dont know what OPG's opponent was thinking but any good one pocket man would try to put more balls OOP (out of play). But in doing so he might leave you a bank which is all you can ask for to get back in the game. Which evidently happened.

Taking an intentional into the spotted balls, while sounding or looking nifty, requires such precision cue ball placement that a hair out of place and your opponent can get you back safe and now you are playing needing 5 instead of 4. If an Efren was shooting the shot for me fine. But no thank you otherwise.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Andy vs. OPG WWYD?

So for a change I actually took the shot to a table last night. I shot the two rail kick on the eight which a few of us liked. I only shot at once, but I did kick the eight effectively towards the seven just shy of the pocket. Unfortunately the cue ball did take the path that Frank the barber suggested and came up table back towards where it began. Then, shooting as my opponent I made the Spot shot drawing into the corner I got behind the seven and the eight and got out. Granted I only tried it once and I may have not gotten the Short raill first when kicking the eight, but all this leads me to say I'm a little bit less enthusiastic about the kick on the eight. I still love the shot, but shooting and only wants I did lose the game.

keoneyo

Verified Member
So for a change I actually took the shot to a table last night. I shot the two rail kick on the eight which a few of us liked. I only shot at once, but I did kick the eight effectively towards the seven just shy of the pocket. Unfortunately the cue ball did take the path that Frank the barber suggested and came up table back towards where it began. Then, shooting as my opponent I made the Spot shot drawing into the corner I got behind the seven and the eight and got out. Granted I only tried it once and I may have not gotten the Short raill first when kicking the eight, but all this leads me to say I'm a little bit less enthusiastic about the kick on the eight. I still love the shot, but shooting and only wants I did lose the game.

Mitch are you posting this in the right thread?