Am I bad action?

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
The short answer is that I do not think you are bad action.

I am not saying I have a monopoly on the term "bad action", but when I think of "bad action", I think of a game where the upside to your winning is low, but there is a chance for you to lose much more than you could win. For example. there is a player here that plays close to me, but I like my end of it. However, he is not patient, he is a good banker, aggressive, and he never has much money.

When I go to the pool room to gamble, I always have several barrels for whatever I am doing. Anyway, I offered to play this guy cheap. In the first game, he plays super aggressive and everything goes. The universe is raining balls into his hole. I stick with it. We play for several hours. At one point I am stuck 3 games. We are not playing for a lot ($20 a game), and I fight my way back to even. He quits. This happens several times in different sessions, although I do not always get back to even.

He doesn't play better than me, but his strategy is to try and bury me in the first game and play from ahead. If he would lose the first game, (which he never did) I think he would have pulled up right then, paid off for the game and hit the road.

So, in playing him, I have the opportunity to lose however much I am willing and I can only win $20. To me, that is bad action.

kollegedave

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
The short answer is that I do not think you are bad action.

I am not saying I have a monopoly on the term "bad action", but when I think of "bad action", I think of a game where the upside to your winning is low, but there is a chance for you to lose much more than you could win. For example. there is a player here that plays close to me, but I like my end of it. However, he is not patient, he is a good banker, aggressive, and he never has much money.

When I go to the pool room to gamble, I always have several barrels for whatever I am doing. Anyway, I offered to play this guy cheap. In the first game, he plays super aggressive and everything goes. The universe is raining balls into his hole. I stick with it. We play for several hours. At one point I am stuck 3 games. We are not playing for a lot ($20 a game), and I fight my way back to even. He quits. This happens several times in different sessions, although I do not always get back to even.

He doesn't play better than me, but his strategy is to try and bury me in the first game and play from ahead. If he would lose the first game, (which he never did) I think he would have pulled up right then, paid off for the game and hit the road.

So, in playing him, I have the opportunity to lose however much I am willing and I can only win $20. To me, that is bad action.

kollegedave
Unfortunately, it's tough to make that statement as you haven't lost yet. But, if true, then indeed that person is "bad action". Please bear in mind that if you are willing to lose more than you can make then you made a "bad" game. However, if you've played for several hours and broke even, not a bad result. I guess you'll have to get ahead at the beginning to see if he quits early.

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Unfortunately, it's tough to make that statement as you haven't lost yet. But, if true, then indeed that person is "bad action". Please bear in mind that if you are willing to lose more than you can make then you made a "bad" game. However, if you've played for several hours and broke even, not a bad result. I guess you'll have to get ahead at the beginning to see if he quits early.
Every time I ever got ahead of the guy he pulls up. The occasions that I actually won are so old I hesitate to include them in recent results. However, other players have noticed this as well. The guy won't stand and fight, so playing him by the game means you can win $20 or lose whatever. I just don't play him. If I did, going forward I might play him in a long race for a larger sum of money. He needs something to give him some pause before he shoots his crazy flyers that often go well, and I need time for percentages to catch up with him.

However, there are better games to play for me, so I play those. At least, I played those before the pandemic. Now I don't play anyone.

The point I made for the original poster is that this dynamic has always been something that people described to me, as "bad action".

kollegedave

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I learned what "bad action" was years ago when I played a guy and lost $80. The next time I played, I won $20 and he pulled up on me. Never lose more than what your opponent will lose.

Reactions: lll

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I learned what "bad action" was years ago when I played a guy and lost $80. The next time I played, I won $20 and he pulled up on me. Never lose more than what your opponent will lose.
Thats what happened all the time at the Rack when I played Miami

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
is that bad action for you or smart money management for him?
or both
just askin
i dont gamble much

onepocketman

Well-Known-Member
From
Fairfield, OH
If he is an ass like that to you, who needs him, or his action? He's just whining because he lost. He'll get over it. Sounds like he's doing fine without stealing anything from you.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Aw, Jason, don't pay any attention to these guys pumpin' you up, tellin' you what a great guy you are. They're just tryin' to get in your britches.

They know you're a prick, and Colonel Hennessee is a fine Southern Gentleman.

(Yes you are bad action. The few hundred we could win aren't sufficient compensation for having to spend that much time with you.)

BTW, could I borrow 50 bucks?

youngstown

Verified Member
I would just take it as you’re tough action and not take it too personally or seriously for that matter. The fact that he didn’t like playing you is a compliment

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I have always used the term "bad action" for players who abruptly quit after being up a few games or a player who only plays if he has the "dead nuts." :mad: I was just thinking about those two-word terms, "bad action" and "dead nuts." Both would be good nicknames. Imagine, you walk into a strange pool room and the only two guys who will gamble are "Bad Action" and "Dead Nuts." But if I looked in a mirror which one am I more likely to be? Probably "Dead Nuts." Which one are you? :unsure: