Alfie Taylor's book

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I couldn't use the title here, because Alfie already has.

The Other Side of the Road

Alfie Taylor takes us on an extended trip to a place that most of us have never seen before - the world of the pool hustlers, who call themselves crossroaders, with good reason. We may think we know what pool hustlers do, but we really don't. Although Alfie began by hanging around the pool tables at the Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas for several years, most of his hustling was on the roads. Big towns, small towns, bad equipment, violent people and bad losers, the crossroaders tried to rob them all. They lied daily about their names, their games and their reasons for being there in the pool rooms. They looked not for competition but for victims, and they found them or went hungry.

Traveling ‘The Other Side of the Road' Alfie shows us adventure, outrageous scams, proposition bets and close calls with assorted disasters as he steals and tries to make his marks like it. He's an accomplished story teller with a great memory of his twenty years of hustling pool. Along the way I found some truly hilarious stories. He gives us many names, mostly not of the greatest players of the day, but of the ones who traveled and hustled with him. Familiar names to pool buffs such as we are. San Jose Dick McMorran is there, as are Bill Porter and Billy Stroud and lots of others who never appear on this site. There is even a four-page essay about pool widows and about Alfie, by a good woman who divorced him years ago. She enjoyed the life as long as she could stand it and wrote kind words about Alfie Taylor.

For two decades the author worked the roads, sometimes in overalls or pedalling a bike, living a life most others dream of, sometimes flush and sometimes busted. The end came right here in Baton Rouge, as he traveled with the great Buddy Hall. They were struggling and finding only bad matches and running out of money. Alfie kicked the habit cold turkey, asking Buddy to drive him downtown to the bus station so he could return to Houston. From there he went on to successes of other kinds. For years he ventured out to hustle once in a while but only for fun, and never again for his living. As the crossroaders say, he got in, got the money, and got out.

One of the best reads I have seen in a long time. Alfie didn't just publish a journal, he really wrote a book, and it has my recommendation for all of you here.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I couldn't use the title here, because Alfie already has.

The Other Side of the Road

Alfie Taylor takes us on an extended trip to a place that most of us have never seen before - the world of the pool hustlers, who call themselves crossroaders, with good reason. We may think we know what pool hustlers do, but we really don't. Although Alfie began by hanging around the pool tables at the Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas for several years, most of his hustling was on the roads. Big towns, small towns, bad equipment, violent people and bad losers, the crossroaders tried to rob them all. They lied daily about their names, their games and their reasons for being there in the pool rooms. They looked not for competition but for victims, and they found them or went hungry.

Traveling ‘The Other Side of the Road' Alfie shows us adventure, outrageous scams, proposition bets and close calls with assorted disasters as he steals and tries to make his marks like it. He's an accomplished story teller with a great memory of his twenty years of hustling pool. Along the way I found some truly hilarious stories. He gives us many names, mostly not of the greatest players of the day, but of the ones who traveled and hustled with him. Familiar names to pool buffs such as we are. San Jose Dick McMorran is there, as are Bill Porter and Billy Stroud and lots of others who never appear on this site. There is even a four-page essay about pool widows and about Alfie, by a good woman who divorced him years ago. She enjoyed the life as long as she could stand it and wrote kind words about Alfie Taylor.

For two decades the author worked the roads, sometimes in overalls or pedalling a bike, living a life most others dream of, sometimes flush and sometimes busted. The end came right here in Baton Rouge, as he traveled with the great Buddy Hall. They were struggling and finding only bad matches and running out of money. Alfie kicked the habit cold turkey, asking Buddy to drive him downtown to the bus station so he could return to Houston. From there he went on to successes of other kinds. For years he ventured out to hustle once in a while but only for fun, and never again for his living. As the crossroaders say, he got in, got the money, and got out.

One of the best reads I have seen in a long time. Alfie didn't just publish a journal, he really wrote a book, and it has my recommendation for all of you here.

Great review, V Man. I was fortunate enough to win a copy in the first drawing last year and boosted it as much as I could.

dontscratch

Verified Member
From
Freeman va
review

review

Got my copy last week -finished it in one sitdown-being in the same age group and from the south,I related to the pool rooms and remembered them just as they were described-great read-if you dont have a copy yet what are you waiting for?