Aiming systems

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
I'm thinking it's more like a "beat" list, if you know what I mean;)

Bingo!...I think got it right Greg ;)...but unfortunately you did put a horrifying image in our minds...:eek:

- Ghosty

PS, My apologies to Papie and Freddy for the hijacking of their hijacking...:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Bingo!...I think got it right Greg ;)...but unfortunately you did put a horrifying image in our minds...:eek:

- Ghosty

PS, My apologies to Papie and Freddy for the hijacking of their hijacking...:D

Just like you playing pool, it gives you some measure of satisfaction, but it's a horrible thing to watch. :D :p
Rod.

Oh, so maybe I should call all of you "pajeros".. You know, you guys really did slaughter the Spanish language (in your other thread).

Clare < knows her Spanish dirty words and slang ;) (uh, I DO live in S. Florida).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Clare said:
Oh, so maybe I should call all of you "pajeros".. You know, you guys really did slaughter the Spanish language (in your other thread).

Clare < knows her Spanish dirty words and slang ;) (uh, I DO live in S. Florida).
conio clare, escojiste una palabra muy appropiada

lll said:
conio clare, escojiste una palabra muy appropiada

Si, lll, pero "conio" ?????????????? If you are trying to say "I know" it is "conozco".

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Clare said:
Si, lll, pero "conio" ?????????????? If you are trying to say "I know" it is "conozco".
conozco la diferencia entre conio y conozco
clare or as one of us degenerates used to call you clare baby (clare mi amor)
conio to a cuban who would pronounce it nio. thats with a circumflex above the n
is used in many different situations and depending on the inflection of your voice has many meanings.
i used in this setting as a way to say
"dam it clare you picked an appropriate word." as i was surprised to see a gringa know that word.:)
it in various settings can mean "oh my god" but equally in a deroogatirry way c*nt which was definitely not my intention.
i also lived in miami for many years and in college had many puerto rican friends. so i am familiar with caribbean spanish.
que chevre
or as the puerto ricaqns would say
cojalo suave

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Back on track

Back on track

This was an aiming thread before the Sand J.O. derailed it. Since he is so against any form of aiming system, why is it that he always take such an interest in these threads? He's like those atheist's that fret so much over people of faith.

Now for whomsoever still had some idle curiousity about the master player, Sailor Barge, regarding aiming and such, I am posting some pages out of the forward of my first book. For those who haven't read it yet, you may find it interesting. For those that don't care, there is always a re-perusal of Dennis's well-meaning hi-jack, with those big bootied cheer leaders.

Quote from Banking With The Beard:

.....we are going to study a wonderful bank aiming method based on ideas developed by "Port Chester Mickey" Carpinello. "Port Chester Mickey" learned the system from a master player named William "Sailor" Barge. What readers will get here is a refined, simplified version of "Sailor" Barge's sighting method that I used in high–stakes competition for many years.

"Sailor" Barge, who had a high run of 356 balls on a 5 x 10 table, was an eccentric champion who snuck around undercover, winning local tournaments under assumed names. "Sailor" was a mystery man who kept a low profile up and down the eastern seaboard. Fifty or no count on a 5 x 10 was a game he often gave a sucker. "Sailor" was known, and avoided, by all the top players in the East. Sailor's student, "Port Chester Mickey," was cut from the same bolt of cloth and he eventually became the greatest, unknown player in the country.

The reason Mickey stayed an unknown was his dope habit. Mickey was a heroin addict. He would stay burrowed, deeply, into his dope world for years, never playing a game of pool. Mickey would emerge periodically, when "Sugar Shack" Johnny Novak and myself traveled to Port Chester, NY and dragged him out of his drug world and took him with us on the road.
While on the road, Mickey would go "cold turkey" and stay in the room for weeks kicking his habit. "Sugar Shack" insisted that Mickey must be totally straight while he was with us. It usually took about 30 days for Mickey to become a human being again.

After about three weeks, Mickey would start practicing diligently for hours every day. Two weeks of hard practice and he would be ready. Then we would turn him loose on the pool world. It was like unleashing Dracula on a necklace show. Nobody knew Mickey, so he went through the best players wherever he played like a chain saw going through butter. It was a massacre.
When Mickey was straight he had no bad habits. He didn't drink or smoke and could play for hours on a cup of coffee and a candy bar.

Mickey was a brutal sadist on a pool table. He would get ten or twelve games ahead playing 9-Ball (the only game he played) and if his opponent showed the slightest signs of revival, like trying to win a game, Mickey would change the rules in ways that favored him even more — no lucking in the 9-Ball — call your shot, and when he was really feeling ornery he'd make opponents call their position for every shot, which is a test many professionals cannot pass.

Seeing Mickey in action was like watching the 3rd Infantry division rolling through Iraq. Mickey's position play was so flawless that it seemed that he never had a hard shot. I told him, "I'm not sure if you can really play. You beat everybody, but all you ever shoot is hangers."

How good did Mickey really play? Good enough to sneak up on Wade "Boom Boom" Crane, aka, "Billy Johnson" in Atlanta in the sixties, when Billy only missed about a ball a week playing 9-Ball.

When he was off the drugs, Mickey was a clear minded philosopher whose views on any subject were worth recording. With that in mind, I once asked him, "Mickey, with a mind like you have, with such a clear, pure perspective on everything, how the hell could you become a lifetime heroin junkie?"
His reply was a typical Mickeyism, "When I am on heroin, my mind is not so clear."

All things must come to an end. After a few months of looting and pillaging top players, we would wake up one morning and Mickey would be gone. Gone back to Port Chester with his winnings. Gone back to the dope world. Back with freshly healed veins, where the dope, for the first week at least, would actually feel good. Back to no pool and anonymity for a few more years, until "Sugar Shack" and myself would dredge him up again and repeat the ritual.

Hall of Famer, "Iron Joe" Procita thought enough of Sailor's aiming system to steal it in toto and sell it to pool students all over the country in the form of a small cardboard aim finder that was also developed by the Sailor.

If you asked Joe Procita about the top players of the day, Joe would say that he had to spot all of them, which he usually did. However, Joe neglected to mention that he also got robbed trying to spot guys like Johnny "Irish" Lineen, and the like. Joe didn't think anybody could play, but Joe gave Sailor his greatest compliment when he confessed — with his head down — that he couldn't spot Sailor anything. That was Procita's highest praise.

Do not confuse this aiming system with the inaccurate drivel routinely displayed in most instruction books — the imaginary cue-ball system. That nonsense has been pounded into our heads ever since Willie Mosconi's instruction book (the red one).

Imaginary cue-ball aiming was even believed and taught by no less then Irving Crane as late as the sixties.

Beard

Attachments

• sailor barge web.jpg
    sailor barge web.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Finally, we are given an option...

Finally, we are given an option...

fred bentivegna said:
For those who haven't read it yet, you may find it interesting. For those that don't care, there is always a re-perusal of Dennis's well-meaning hi-jack, with those big bootied cheer leaders.

Beard

Excellent idea Fred,...Lets all return to Dennis' post #121, for some welcome relief from what all "Aiming System" threads eventually become,...A long, drawn out, and extremely boring "flame war".

For instance...which would you rather look at...This....(Dennis' hero's)

View attachment 1551

Or this...???... (Fred's hero) Anyone know how to do a poll...:D :D :D

View attachment 1552

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A "helpful sight picture"

A "helpful sight picture"

The next time anyone is shooting at a tough shot for the game ball, rather than have a geometric approximation of what is needed, you could always refer to a sight picture of a big ass to help you get through your dilemma. The big ass sight picture could include, either one of Dennis's cuties, or a photo of the Sand J.O. Who is the bigger ass is up for conjecture.

Beard

Notice how the creep never lets a sensible conversation develop, and how he immediately jumps on my posts. I think I am going to start doing the same thing to everything he posts. We'll get a look at how thick skinned he is.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I love the banter but just wish you guys could settle it up on the table, some one pocket would be nice at DCC and if you guys agree to play I will go to the Derby and record it. Your eyes work but not your johnson Freddy and Dicks prick I think works well from all the dames he attracts but his eyes are not so good. :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
The next time anyone is shooting at a tough shot for the game ball, rather than have a geometric approximation of what is needed, you could always refer to a sight picture of a big ass to help you get through your dilemma. The big ass sight picture could include, either one of Dennis's cuties, or a photo of the Sand J.O. Who is the bigger ass is up for conjecture.

Beard

Notice how the creep never lets a sensible conversation develop, and how he immediately jumps on my posts. I think I am going to start doing the same thing to everything he posts. We'll get a look at how thick skinned he is.

My post (#136) was probably the least bitter, and most jocular comment I have ever made (at least recently) re; one of your posts.

Apparently your "epidermally challenged" ass, has made it impossible to accept, even the slightest chide, without seeing fit to launch one of your bitter, name calling, insult laden replies. (for Crissake...grow up Fred)

Oh, and by the way...I think Lenny's post (#138) begs a response...don't you ?... I Would even consider paying Lenny's air fare, to film it for posterity...(were enough $$$ involved)..!..Surely your stable of willing "stake horse's" can come up with something..:cool:

The Sand J.O/Creep/assh##e, (or whatever your latest endearment for him is)..will still have plenty of cash left, after the Ghost snaps me off ! :p

PS...Found a supplier, online for you Fred..

Available for immidiate shipment, wholesale quantities of "Red Ass" Salve
Sold only in 55 gal. barrells only.... $350. (Note; Free shipping to Chicago or Lousville)..:D

View attachment 1559

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:
Great point, Vapros, I think that says it all.

I think mainly for banks I either consciously or unconsciously compare the shot I am looking at to a common shot I remember, and then I adjust from there, either consciously or unconsciously -- probably depending on if I am on a roll or not. I do often use my cue stick to help visualize the angle going into the first rail (relative to the cue ball). What I am looking at when I do that is just help seeing the cut angle into the rail, not a specific spot on the rail. Then I use memory and feel -- which I believe naturally takes into consideration english and speed. I know I bank best when I keep my bridge short and stay closer to the middle of the cue ball, i.e. not too much english -- unless of course it is a real english style bank where you need to load up.

Great post Steve...I think you have finally described the method used by an overwhelming majority of good (and great) players...Its hard to put into words, but I believe you nailed it...:)

PS...You too Vapros (but you cut to the chase to quick)..:D

Last edited: