Action in Mobile

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Was at Breakers today, waiting for Frost and Joyner to match-up.

They've been woofing at each other all evening.

Ricky Byrd and Cliff are partnering aginst a guy named Clint ( ? ) from Atlanta. $500 a game. Cliff and Byrd were a couple games ahead when I left at 9 PM.

Incardona and Frost are playing $300 or $400 a game -- Billy's getting a couple of balls with the pick after the break. Scott was up about 4 or 5 games.
Earlier, Billy got the best of Scott in a somewhat leaner spot.

Squirrel is playing a local short-stop. I think Squirrel was holding his own.
Pretty impressive for four 80 years. He misses too many balls but--- man he can still dig those hangers out the opponents hole---and still has a steady stroke with great cue ball control.

Great to see top live action in Mobile!

Mobile-George

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gbru said:
Was at Breakers today, waiting for Frost and Joyner to match-up.

They've been woofing at each other all evening.

Ricky Byrd and Cliff are partnering aginst a guy named Clint ( ? ) from Atlanta. $500 a game. Cliff and Byrd were a couple games ahead when I left at 9 PM.

Incardona and Frost are playing $300 or $400 a game -- Billy's getting a couple of balls with the pick after the break. Scott was up about 4 or 5 games.
Earlier, Billy got the best of Scott in a somewhat leaner spot.

Squirrel is playing a local short-stop. I think Squirrel was holding his own.
Pretty impressive for four 80 years. He misses too many balls but--- man he can still dig those hangers out the opponents hole---and still has a steady stroke with great cue ball control.

Great to see top live action in Mobile!

Mobile-George

Hey George.......I'm jealous - that's great action that you're getting to sweat....nothing like that going on up here.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Noteworthy action...

Noteworthy action...

I posted this on AZ Sun. A.M. answering a question about the Frosty/Billy contest:

That's correct, Watchez. The Incardona/Frost matchup was this: $400 per game one-pocket. Billy got 10-8 and the breaks. After his break he was allowed to pick up any ball of his choosing and place it on the footspot (or below, as in spotting a ball after a foul). My rough guess is that this proposition matchup would be similar to 10-6; maybe more.

Their first episode at this spot ended with Billy up two games. There was then a break in the contest, as Frost had to play a tournament match. When they resumed, Scott went on a tear of about 8-9 wins. Billy then said he was done unless they switched to a tighter table. So after a lot of posturing and arranging of other guy's sets in progress, they commenced again; same game. When I left at 12:30 A.M. this morning (Sunday), I believe Scott was up 1-2 games.

HOWEVER, during the break, while Billy had been cooling off and finding solace with several "Yes" men, Joyner sidles over, there's a short exchange, and Frost and Joyner agreed to play! 50 guys knew about it instantly! I immediately quashed all notions of going home.

As it happened, after the usual mulling about by both parties, Joyner came back to the table and announced, "I have to wait." No explanation. Whether he had a match coming up, or he couldn't get the right backing.....dunno. This is the match everyone is hoping for. Perhaps they played later, or hopefully, today. I suspect that the match will get down, however.

I have to say that it's hard to imagine many more than a few players who could withstand Frost's withering assault of shot-making. The only guy I've personally witnessed with that kind of mind-numbing firepower was Ronnie Allen in the late 1960's. Frost slaps balls in from anywhere with abandon. He fires in long banks with CB shape as if they were hanger cross-side banks.
At one point, Billy walked over and said, "He's playing perfect one-pocket."

And Billy doesn't rattle. He keeps on steam rolling with his usual strong game. But, sitting 4 feet away watching Frost's 1P wizzardry, I realized that probably no one is capable of prevailing over him these days. I had earlier congratulated him on his great play against Efren. He was honestly appreciative. Then he said: "I'll play anyone on the planet even one-pocket for $20,000."

While that was going on, there was a nice matchup between Tater (J. Tedder) and Lil Sam G. from north Mississippi. Race to 21 for 2 bags. I had a little piece of that one. When I left, Sam was up 13-8, and he probably went on to win. I suspect several sets ensued. Will find out today.

Marshall, "Tuscaloosa Squirrel" Carpenter was locked in a long set with a local shortstop; "Downtown " Eddie Brown-- "The Mystery Man" was in action: Harold "SmackMac" MacAbee hadn't left an action table in two days; Jason Moran from Gulfport, Miss. played lots of sets with several guys;Lil Sal and Joey Barnes were lurking, trying to match up; and Larry Nevel and several other top guns were running in frequently to see what was going on.

The toy table tournament finally lurched to a start at about 5 P.M. Saturday, so it'll be another coffee and cigarette marathon for the players. Did I like that kind of cheap, noisy, nervous energy when I was 25? You bet yo ass I did!!! More later...

Update: I left this afternoon at 5 P.M., and there hadn't been any additional interesting 1P matchups yet. I played some $20 1P with another average player. We broke even after 4 hours, when it was time for me to haul ass back to Mississippi.

I'm sure there will be continuing action from the big guns for another 2-3 days, now that all the farmers have cleared out...;) Perhaps George, or JOE N. will update us.

BTW, what do y'all think the equivalent is to the spot that Billy I. and Frost were playing? 10-6....more? My guess is that Billy was a little surprised at how much Frost's game has come up, even in the last 6 months.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
I posted this on AZ Sun. A.M. answering a question about the Frosty/Billy contest:

I have to say that it's hard to imagine many more than a few players who could withstand Frost's withering assault of shot-making. The only guy I've personally witnessed with that kind of mind-numbing firepower was Ronnie Allen in the late 1960's. Frost slaps balls in from anywhere with abandon. He fires in long banks with CB shape as if they were hanger cross-side banks.
At one point, Billy walked over and said, "He's playing perfect one-pocket."
Doc

Thanks Doc. I have watched T-Rex play for two days here and if anyone can get close to Frost, it might be him. He is not facing the kind of competition here that Scott may have back there, but nobody is coming close. He won the one pocket yesterday with Rafael Martinez coming in 2nd & he won the hot seat in the 9 ball today & I left before it was over , but it looked like Billy Palmer might win the losers side & face him in the finals. Tony's game has gone up another notch or two since the last time I saw him play. I saw quite a bit of Scott's game at the Hollywood Billiards Tournament and it would be quite a match between Scott & Tony.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Thanks Doc. I have watched T-Rex play for two days here and if anyone can get close to Frost, it might be him. He is not facing the kind of competition here that Scott may have back there, but nobody is coming close. He won the one pocket yesterday with Rafael Martinez coming in 2nd & he won the hot seat in the 9 ball today & I left before it was over , but it looked like Billy Palmer might win the losers side & face him in the finals. Tony's game has gone up another notch or two since the last time I saw him play. I saw quite a bit of Scott's game at the Hollywood Billiards Tournament and it would be quite a match between Scott & Tony.
I think you're right, John. Tony is certainly in the top elite of uno pocketistas today! Like Frost, and RA and Cornbread before him, he too has that ability to fire shots in with abandon. He's fascinating to watch, and could spell doom to any opponent. Did he move back to la-la, or is he still living in Detroit?

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
I think you're right, John. Tony is certainly in the top elite of uno pocketistas today! Like Frost, and RA and Cornbread before him, he too has that ability to fire shots in with abandon. He's fascinating to watch, and could spell doom to any opponent. Did he move back to la-la, or is he still living in Detroit?

Doc

He is headed back to Detroit today doc. He has family here and came out for a 3k added 9 ball tournament up in Eureka last weekend (which he won). He truly is a monster and anyone that loves one pocket should get a chance to watch him play. Like Frost, who I watched plenty at the Hollywood tournament, he has balls going towards his hole almost every shot, with uncanny cueball control. What a match it would be to see him and Frost play.