a few video questions for the tech dudes.

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
Hi guys,

I got a new webcam from the wife for x-mas. Nothing special, but will take real nice video, and I am looking to set it up on my table down stairs. My questions:

What kind of lighting works best? I heard the more lighting the better!

Who likes which table angle? from the kitchen, or the side, or the foot?

Which server do you like best? youtube, vimeo?

I'd like to try out the shots everyone is posting with the WEI layouts, and video my results. I am an average 1P player, and trying to learn.

thanx for any input!

Gerry

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Gerry said:
Hi guys,

I got a new webcam from the wife for x-mas. Nothing special, but will take real nice video, and I am looking to set it up on my table down stairs. My questions:

What kind of lighting works best? I heard the more lighting the better!

Who likes which table angle? from the kitchen, or the side, or the foot?

Which server do you like best? youtube, vimeo?

I'd like to try out the shots everyone is posting with the WEI layouts, and video my results. I am an average 1P player, and trying to learn.

thanx for any input!

Gerry
I can't answer much here, as I have not had any first hand experience yet on some it.

Lighting - I would experiment, trial and error should provide the answer.

Angle - Me personally, I like the foot of the table, facing towards the head, about 6 ft or so , far enough back so you can get the whole table and several feet on each side. Most of the play is at the foot of the table, that's where the pockets are at

Servers - Ustream allows you to stream and archive your videos, youtube you can upload short clips specific to what you want to share, vimeo is more for high definition clips.

I"m just getting into this stuff myself in preparation for the Derby and my editing afterwards and haven't got around to experimenting too much yet.

Good luck! Welcome aboard here

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
CaliRed, one of us is confused, and maybe the other poster now, also. The kitchen is behind the head string, at the head of the table. The pockets and most of the action in one-pocket are down by the foot rail. I'm gonna be embarrassed as hell if I'm wrong here.

Merry Christmas! :)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
CaliRed, one of us is confused, and maybe the other poster now, also. The kitchen is behind the head string, at the head of the table. The pockets and most of the action in one-pocket are down by the foot rail. I'm gonna be embarrassed as hell if I'm wrong here.

The kitchen where Calired is from is Nebraska. Where Vapros is from it's Louisanna. Where I'm from it's Texas.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well, uhhh, yeah, I guess that's what I meant to say. Or not. The yuletide cheer is in hi gear on the far side of the Sabine River. :rolleyes: :D

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
ok fyi....the kitchen IS NOT where I first posted from......it is a place on the table ;)

i do have some experience in the kitchen....i am italian, and this time of year...WE COOK!

besides that...I am going to go open my presents!....happy happy you guys!

G.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
vapros said:

hehe.... what a idiot I am. I have no idea why I said that, the mind is a weird thing. I worked all day, came home and could barely keep my eyes open and I typed that. At that time, my mind thought the kitchen was at the foot, even though I have never associated the kitchen with that before .... ever:D I did just wake up from a 7 hour nap though, and kitchen is NOT at the bottom of the table.:D

PS... since no one quoted my post originally.... where does it say that I said the kitchen was at the foot of the table? You guys are messing with me;):)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
PS... since no one quoted my post originally.... where does it say that I said the kitchen was at the foot of the table? You guys are messing with me;):)
I happened to copy & paste it in case I ever needed it for evidence. Now I guess it's needed.

CaliRed said:
I definitely, firmly, unequivocally, without fear do state that the "kitchen" is at the foot of the table.

Cowboy "super-sleuth" Dennis

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
The ball colors will be changed a bit on the flourescent lights, but incandescent has to be spread farther and directed with a diffuser screen.

IF I were limited to one cam, I would mount it on the light rack, pointing down.

Two 8 foot flourescent bulbs, buy the weaker bulbs, the blues and all that mess are too bright.

On the custom lights I have made I used diffusers (plastic sheeting with ribs) so the light source was even, then the 3/4 inch square screen that is 3/4 thick to direct the light.

All stuff was purchased at Lowes, Even a special skinned MDF that is 3/16 that looks nice. I pair it with metal decorative panels to give a nice look. Parts total is around 240, but a little less if you Fabricate well, or can use different material to house the lights. I prefer 3/16 or 1/4 mdf with a frame built from 2x4 I rip down to 1-1/2 by 1-1/2. Keeps things light...

Anyway, you can hang that light anywhere in height ranging from head high to 9 feet from the ground and have proper light. I have a few hanging in town...

I suggest a height of 5 foot 4 above the table level to accomodate stroking on elevated shots, this is about 5 foot 2 from the top of the rail in most cases.

I could text a picture of one of the lights I built if needed. May be dirty...

The single camera approach, build a bracket to let it be about 3 feet away from the foot spot and about 4ft8 higher than the table. Or directly down from the light, if it is small.

Table view will be distorted by some camera types, a guy came thru with a good Panasonic commercial cam and set up the way I described.

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
newfosgatesucks said:
The ball colors will be changed a bit on the flourescent lights, but incandescent has to be spread farther and directed with a diffuser screen.

IF I were limited to one cam, I would mount it on the light rack, pointing down.

Two 8 foot flourescent bulbs, buy the weaker bulbs, the blues and all that mess are too bright.

On the custom lights I have made I used diffusers (plastic sheeting with ribs) so the light source was even, then the 3/4 inch square screen that is 3/4 thick to direct the light.

All stuff was purchased at Lowes, Even a special skinned MDF that is 3/16 that looks nice. I pair it with metal decorative panels to give a nice look. Parts total is around 240, but a little less if you Fabricate well, or can use different material to house the lights. I prefer 3/16 or 1/4 mdf with a frame built from 2x4 I rip down to 1-1/2 by 1-1/2. Keeps things light...

Anyway, you can hang that light anywhere in height ranging from head high to 9 feet from the ground and have proper light. I have a few hanging in town...

I suggest a height of 5 foot 4 above the table level to accomodate stroking on elevated shots, this is about 5 foot 2 from the top of the rail in most cases.

I could text a picture of one of the lights I built if needed. May be dirty...

The single camera approach, build a bracket to let it be about 3 feet away from the foot spot and about 4ft8 higher than the table. Or directly down from the light, if it is small.

Table view will be distorted by some camera types, a guy came thru with a good Panasonic commercial cam and set up the way I described.

excellent man! just what I needed! we are suppose to get a bunch of snow today, so it gives me a chance to set it up.

thnx again, Gerry

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Be sure to try the two angles I suggested by hand first, as there are different types of cameras, or lens rather. The lens type would determine which way you're better off going...

Gerry said:
excellent man! just what I needed! we are suppose to get a bunch of snow today, so it gives me a chance to set it up.

thnx again, Gerry

mosconiac

Verified Member
Here's a video I made with only (2)-4', 2-bulb lights overhead (mounted end to end to make a 8' long light). It's enough light, but does cause a light splash on the end rail. Keep in mind that this particular video was shot with a humble camera, a good camera would produce much better results. The camera angle was too low though as my old tripod was too short.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ub9LL2qIg[/ame]

I focus on the rack area. The camera is typically placed 5-6' from the end of the table (to give cue-ing room) and about 3-4' above the felt so you get a nice (downward) look at the table. Too low of an angle will make it tough to see where the balls are in relation to one another and what the true angles are...and the lens can pick up the lights which will give you odd strobe & rainbow effects and throw off exposure.

One IMPORTANT reminder is to turn off Auto Focus once focus is attained. Otherwise the lens can keep screwing in & out as you walk around the table...it will get VERY annoying.

EDIT: as for video hosts, I vote for vimeo. It's easy to use, allows large vids, & is friendly to the viewer.

Here's two examples...one good, one bad. It's pretty obvious which is which. In the good video I pulled the frame in tight to the table...I was just interested in the balls If I wanted to see the players more, I would pull it back off the corner pockets. It's still a little too low IMO though.

Last edited:

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
Well, here is the first setup of the new cam. Nothing expensive but it is working so far. These are attempts at some of the Ghost situations.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/18191497[/ame] shots 2,3, and 4 are with the new setup.

G.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gerry its great to see someone shooting the shot situations.
on the bank where you scratched you got a bad roll:mad:
the bank on the 13 which went between 2 balls like it had a laser guided track to the pocket im not sure i would post:D :rolleyes:
nice room you got there. and nice set up for video.
pretty soon you will be live streaming all the players coming for action:)

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
lll said:
gerry its great to see someone shooting the shot situations.
on the bank where you scratched you got a bad roll:mad:
the bank on the 13 which went between 2 balls like it had a laser guided track to the pocket im not sure i would post:D :rolleyes:
nice room you got there. and nice set up for video.
pretty soon you will be live streaming all the players coming for action:)

thanx man!, I got NO secrets...I just like to play the game! If I knock myself , no biggie.....it's all good!

G.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Gerry said:
Well, here is the first setup of the new cam. Nothing expensive but it is working so far. These are attempts at some of the Ghost situations.

http://vimeo.com/18191497 shots 2,3, and 4 are with the new setup.

G.

Great Job. thanx for posting ! I never watch pool, but I enjoyed these.;) Short, to the point, no stalling around.
Rod.

Last edited: