9-ball rack break strategy

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:
Banks,

No disrespect intended to you at all but if you can't argue a point better than this please don't expect any more responses from me.

You have repeated in different words what I wrote, you have misinterpreted and/or misconstrued what I wrote and you have, with your own argument, backed what I said was true.

Dennis

I'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

To quote Happy Gilmore:

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive. :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Two rail kick into the back of the rack and watch your opponent's expression!!!

The 1st time I was in Ky. all of you'uns that I asked to play one pocket, wanted to play 9 ball one pocket and me to spot the break. Then I watched some 9 ball banks and found out why. They all kicked 2 rails at the back ball and made it every time .LOL
Rod.
P.S. That was many moons ago. I loved all the different kinds of local beer that was there, I tried every one of them. :D
P.P.S. That was in Bowling Green in the 60's

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I only have one short racks break tape. It is maybe 1992 or so, Mark Tadd vs Parica for 2k gambling match at the LA open. Parica was doing the safe break, Tadd was breaking them wide open. Parica pulled out to a 3-0 lead in a race to 5. Tadd made it 3 to 1, he then broke and ran out.... 3-2.... broke and won the next game with some play... 3-3..... broke and ran the next game..... 3-4..... and won the next game with some play 3-5.

So, for the stats on this match, 40% of the games Tadd broke Parica never even got to the table.

I'll admit I have no idea what i'm talking about, but I thought that the way that one match went down may be of interest to some.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I only have one short racks break tape. It is maybe 1992 or so, Mark Tadd vs Parica for 2k gambling match at the LA open. Parica was doing the safe break, Tadd was breaking them wide open. Parica pulled out to a 3-0 lead in a race to 5. Tadd made it 3 to 1, he then broke and ran out.... 3-2.... broke and won the next game with some play... 3-3..... broke and ran the next game..... 3-4..... and won the next game with some play 3-5.

So, for the stats on this match, 40% of the games Tadd broke Parica never even got to the table.

I'll admit I have no idea what i'm talking about, but I thought that the way that one match went down may be of interest to some.

TD,

You may want to check your math:p:D.

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest

that sounds like a cool match! I would love to get my hands on that tape! Mark Tadd is one of my favorite players from years ago. Now you mention tape... hows about you send it to me and I'll convert it over to DVD for you. Even Steven :) I don't see it on accu-stats so maybe it's a guy in the stands type of tape?

tylerdurden

Verified Member
that sounds like a cool match! I would love to get my hands on that tape! Mark Tadd is one of my favorite players from years ago. Now you mention tape... hows about you send it to me and I'll convert it over to DVD for you. Even Steven :) I don't see it on accu-stats so maybe it's a guy in the stands type of tape?

This is on DVD. Bad habit.

Somebody told me the guys name who did these tapes, and I forgot it. But it is better than "guy in the stands with video cam" quality. Haha. The angle is a tad awkward in this one, but it is very viewable, a tad under old accustat quality perhaps.

PM me please, i'd love to help facilitate your viewing of this match :)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
TD,

You may want to check your math:p:D.

Dennis

I double checked my stats. Parica broke the first rack, not Tadd. So, in the 8 games it took to complete the match (5-3), Tadd broke 4 times, and Parica broke 4 times.

So, Tadd broke 4 times, and ran two of those games from the break. Tadd with his hard break won a whopping 50% (not 40% as initially reported, exuse me) of the games he broke without Parica ever getting to the table! That was the difference in the match in my opinion, which is why I brought it up in this thread.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
John,

I received your PM, it's appreciated and accepted. Don't take offense this time when you read this post.

You say that you cannot break safe (playing in a tourney I presume?) but you ignored that a person could be gambling and then you can break any damn way you want to.

A "funsie" tournament is any tournament that anybody ever played in, ever in history (in any sport).

Let's take a look at 10 of your tournament matches that I have on DVD. I'm only looking at your break, not your opponents so my numbers are automatically not completely representative of ALL the breaks in these matches.

V.S. Luat 2009 Finals #1
V.S. Luat 2009 Finals #2
V.S. Pagulayan 2011
V.S. R. Alcano 2011
V.S. L. Nevel 2005
V.S. F. Bustamante 2011
V.S. J. Miller 2004 Finals #1
V.S. J. Miller 2004 Finals #2
V.S. T. Hogue 2005 Semi-Finals
V.S. D. Matlock 2005 Finals

And the categories are; out of your 26 breaks in these 10 matches:

Made a ball on break & made at least one more ball: 12 times = 46%

Made a ball on break, left no shot, played safe: 1 time

Made a ball on break & missed a shot (this includes playing safe once): 8 times = 31%

Didn't make a ball on break: 6 times = 23%

Broke dry & gave up a shot: 6 times = 23%

Broke dry & gave up shot that oppo missed: 1 time = 17%

Broke dry & gave up shot, oppo made a ball or more: 5 times = 83%

Broke & scratched: 0 times

I'm not a statistical analysis expert but I think that you being at 46% for making a ball on break and then making a bank isn't comparable to playing safe and leaving no shot ever, except for long distance through traffic and probably leaving a shot if missed.

During your two finals matches with Luat in 2009 you never made a ball on the break and then pocketed a bank. Things like this negate what you think is a good approach to breaking (non-tourney). You beat Luat with superior skills, it had zero to do with the break on your part.

I do realize you must open-break in a tourney but I specifically stated that it depends on whether or not a person is gambling and several other criteria which you said "doesn't mean anything".

Why would anybody open-break when gambling when the best banker around right now only makes a ball on the break and then banks one in 46% of the time? I do realize that my sampling is very limited to only 26 of your breaks and I do not look at the oppo's breaks but I only have so much time:p .

I realize that numbers can sometimes be twisted to try to make a point so I've tried to refrain from that. My basic point is that you can break safe 100% of the time and leave a long tough shot, if any, or you can open-break and take your chances. I'm breaking safe on my cash.

P.S. It's quite possible that I'm mis-representing something here but if I am it's not intentional, just an error on my part.

P.Ps. Now I can send these 3 cheap Detroit hookers home (they've been doing my research:), cost me $12.75, who's gonna pay for that? ).

Dennis
I'm amazed John broke the balls 26 times and never scratched once. I lost a match at the recent bank shot tournament due to scratching on the break.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'm amazed John broke the balls 26 times and never scratched once. I lost a match at the recent bank shot tournament due to scratching on the break.

Yes, that is amazing. I also think the two matches with Luat in the 2009 finals where he never made a ball on the break and then made another was also a telling stat.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yes, that is amazing. I also think the two matches with Luat in the 2009 finals where he never made a ball on the break and then made another was also a telling stat.

Dennis

Please 'splain what the hell you are trying to say...Your statement makes no sense to anyone...(as usual)

You may be the only person on the planet, who knows LESS about the 'niche' game than I do...You are a manage au uno, you idiot...:rolleyes:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Please 'splain what the hell you are trying to say...Your statement makes no sense to anyone...(as usual)

You may be the only person on the planet, who knows LESS about the 'niche' game than I do...You are a manage au uno, you idiot...:rolleyes:

Have you been "manage au yukon" this early?:p