8 Champions - Nick Varner & Scott Rabon on Commentary!! Sept 30- Oct 2, 2014

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What makes you guys think Smokin Aces isn't putting up plenty? FYI The Calcutta is 100% payout too

The players aren't randomly selecting Poplar Bluff, Mo I assure you.

ANY of you that like to see a lot of top guys get together and battle it out. Get with Mikey Mckuin and get you a piece of player. 573-718-1177

Ray
Sorry, my bad, I assumed from what Stroud said that there was no added money to the prize fund and 100% of the Calcutta pool is returned to the winners is very generous. Good luck with the tournament.

Bill Incardona

Bigtruck

Verified Member
hey ray...
there are at least two of us (possibly/probably four) from STL area coming down to sweat/support the event on wednesday. i know of two other guys that will be down there tuesday and planning to stay for duration. i've heard the place has two diamonds and brought in two more for the event....is that right? looking forward to it. :)
dustin

Yes. Also as soon as we are down to 2 tables the extra 9fts will come out and the Bar Tables will be moved back in for the $5000 added 9 ball that starts on Saturday. :heh

Attachments

• sMOKIN aCES.jpg
    sMOKIN aCES.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Sorry, my bad, I assumed from what Stroud said that there was no added money to the prize fund and 100% of the Calcutta pool is returned to the winners is very generous. Good luck with the tournament.

Bill Incardona

Thanks Billy. You will really Like Mikey McKuin. He likes to stir up the action and ain't afraid to make it happen.

If you're coming I recommend to get a reserved VIP seat. Just let me know if you would like one. Of course you are always welcome to join the best seats in the house any time.

Ray

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Art, i'm suggesting that the normal 10% cut the Calcutta promoter gets should be added to the prize fund, not the entire Calcutta pool...

Bill Incardona
Oh, if you meant only 10%, then that's different. You left that part out.;) I think a lot of event promoters would appreciate that.

I don't believe that's common down here. The Calcuttas are usually independent of the prize fund. Perhaps some the large events work a deal with the Calcutta promoter/operator.

What is interesting is that for the bigger events where loads of Calcutta betting is anticipated, they hire a guy who is good at moving the auction and drawing more money out of the crowd. Some of the guys who handle the auctioning are practically pros-- like auctioneers you'd hear at large car events. Some people come just to watch the show!

I wish I could make the event. It sounds like a blast.

~Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
Ray,

I they don't put the information on the poster or post it online how is anyone supposed to know if anything is added to the prize fund?

Wasn't the entry fee 10K originally?

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Oh, if you meant only 10%, then that's different. You left that part out.;) I think a lot of event promoters would appreciate that.

I don't believe that's common down here. The Calcuttas are usually independent of the prize fund. Perhaps some the large events work a deal with the Calcutta promoter/operator.

What is interesting is that for the bigger events where loads of Calcutta betting is anticipated, they hire a guy who is good at moving the auction and drawing more money out of the crowd. Some of the guys who handle the auctioning are practically pros-- like auctioneers you'd hear at large car events. Some people come just to watch the show!

I wish I could make the event. It sounds like a blast.

~Doc

Didn't know that the Calcutta was run by independent promoters, unlike years ago when most all Calcuttas were held by the same people that ran the tournaments. Grady used to auction off players in some of the Calcuttas that were held back then. Many of the tournaments that were held in the south that had Calcuttas were promoted by the room owners and a 10% cut was taken from the pool for the house. Lexington was one in particular that I remember that happening, along with the Willard tournaments as well. I believe Don Macky held Calcuttas in some of his events for the WPBA except the 10% was added to the Macky fund.:heh:mad:

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks Billy. You will really Like Mikey McKuin. He likes to stir up the action and ain't afraid to make it happen.

If you're coming I recommend to get a reserved VIP seat. Just let me know if you would like one. Of course you are always welcome to join the best seats in the house any time.

Ray

Thanks Ray for the invite, i'm going to try to make it down there i'm about 50-50 right now whether or not I can. Once again..good luck to you guys with the tournament and the Calcutta. By the way if one were to buy a piece of any of the players that didn't have the full entry fee up would it be a negotiation between the person helping with the money and the player to negotiate a percentage for each? Or is there something already understood like a 50% 50% cut or 60% -40% cut or something similar to that..just curious.:D

Bill Incardona

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Thanks Ray for the invite, i'm going to try to make it down there i'm about 50-50 right now whether or not I can. Once again..good luck to you guys with the tournament and the Calcutta. By the way if one were to buy a piece of any of the players that didn't have the full entry fee up would it be a negotiation between the person helping with the money and the player to negotiate a percentage for each? Or is there something already understood like a 50% 50% cut or 60% -40% cut or something similar to that..just curious.:D

Bill Incardona

The cut would have to stay uniform with the other partners. Cost from the top and 50/50 on net.

Ray

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Didn't know that the Calcutta was run by independent promoters, unlike years ago when most all Calcuttas were held by the same people that ran the tournaments. Grady used to auction off players in some of the Calcuttas that were held back then. Many of the tournaments that were held in the south that had Calcuttas were promoted by the room owners and a 10% cut was taken from the pool for the house. Lexington was one in particular that I remember that happening, along with the Willard tournaments as well. I believe Don Macky held Calcuttas in some of his events for the WPBA except the 10% was added to the Macky fund.:heh:mad:

Bill Incardona
Well you're right. I didn't mean to infer that all the Calcuttas (or even most of them) were run by outside promoters. In fact nearly all of them are run by either the room owner or another local poolroom guy. But most often the Calcutta money is separate and independent of the prize money in any way. And no percentage is expected for the house.

Notably in some states Calcuttas or "player auctions" are illegal. Yet many areas today have much laxer rules due to the prevalence of other forms of gambling.

When I ran two day events, Calcuttas were welcomed. But in one day events they take too damn long, and thereby really delay the tournament start time.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The cut would have to stay uniform with the other partners. Cost from the top and 50/50 on net.

Ray
Ray, I too am curious. If the entry fee is $6000 and a guy chips in $600 (10%) for a particular player's entry, and the player cashes, would he get 10% of the winnings, or would he get 10% of the 50% to which you referred? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks~
Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Yes. Also as soon as we are down to 2 tables the extra 9fts will come out and the Bar Tables will be moved back in for the $5000 added 9 ball that starts on Saturday. :heh

You know what?

I don't care who you are, there is something so beautiful, so colorful and gleaming, and something so pristine about a set up like this it reminds me again of why I love the game.

Lou Figueroa

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You know what?

I don't care who you are, there is something so beautiful, so colorful and gleaming, and something so pristine about a set up like this it reminds me again of why I love the game.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, your passion for the game has once again shined through..and yes there is something very special and intriguing about this whole thing..every thing included. The race is long enough to settle many arguments there might be, and the bet is large enough to test the character of all the players, along with the pressures of a true test. The players are the best there are, with the exception of just a few (VanBoening Appleton Pagulayan)
The commentary will be exceptional, and the setting will be.."of the old west" A one pocket shoot out.:D

Hope I can make it.

Bill Incardona

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Ray, I too am curious. If the entry fee is $6000 and a guy chips in $600 (10%) for a particular player's entry, and the player cashes, would he get 10% of the winnings, or would he get 10% of the 50% to which you referred? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks~
Doc

Expenses go back to you and you split the remaining equally.

Ray

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Expenses go back to you and you split the remaining equally.

Ray

When you say that i'm assuming you get your stake money plus expenses, then a 50% 50% split. True? :D I would think that that would be the fairest way to split. :) That would be the players expenses as well.:)

Dr. Bill

Bigtruck

Verified Member
When you say that i'm assuming you get your stake money plus expenses, then a 50% 50% split. True? :D I would think that that would be the fairest way to split. :) That would be the players expenses as well.:)

Dr. Bill

That's correct Billy.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Dr. Bill
Bill, it's the "plus expenses" part that I'm not grasping. What does that mean? And I'm wondering if any of the players have more than one sponsor?

BTW, you have 8 more posts than I do. Is that some kind of chatty Italian thing?;)

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Why limit the number of players? More entry fees equals more prize money.

I think like other of these multi game events, there is not enough time or tables to handle a larger field.

By limiting the number of players they can pre schedule matches and not run into the other tournaments time frame.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Truck Im not clear. If we purchase the whole kit will we be able to see reruns of the action. What would be the time frame to watch replays? I wont be able to watch continuously. Or will DVDs be available?