7-Ball - Long Side - Banks!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
7-Ball - Long Side - Banks

The Game: is played with 7 all legal object balls w/ the winner scoring 4 balls. The opponents or teams have opposite long sides of the table to pocket bank their scored balls.
Lag: the winner of the lag has the option to break.
The Rack: the opponent racks a standard 7-ball rack by hand or with a standard rack. The breaker can inspect the rack, and can ask for a re-rack.
The Break: is a head ball break requiring a ball to be pocketed, or two balls must pass the table’s center line. Requirement not met; then the incoming player either accepts the table as is, or breaks. Winner of the game breaks the next rack.
Long-Side Selection: is determined and marked by the player that first scores a bank.
Only balls legally banked into a shooter’s scoring pocket will be scored, all other balls pocketed in any pocket at any time, or jumped off of the table will be held for spotting at the end of the inning.
Rail Count, Alternative: it is played the same, except it is a successive game format that banks all 7 balls each game, but scores the rails used to bank and not the number of banks.The players play to a predetermined number of total scored rails to win a set or a match.
Note: standard bank rules apply, except when game rules supersede.

* Enjoy this unique game of banks *

created by;
Dennis 'Whitey' Young

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uqWQjpvKDuzeWZfH7 this is how I rack a 7-ball rack. The 5 ball is on the foot spot w/ two balls spotted behind it on the long string, with the other balls filled in.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
With only one long side of the table to pocket bank your balls it then makes for a challenging game that naturally promotes multiple rail banks. I have found that it opens up banks, for there are times you can feel free to do a bank, for it either does not leave a bank for the opponent or leaves a difficult multi rail return bank.
What I have found that was very unexpectedly surprising is just how much action there is on the break. Balls go flying and yes they also go flying in the pocket. It is a very exciting break!

I want to thank Steve for his helpful input into this game rule writing!
Whitey

Last edited:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Withey, Howdy;

Looks like it would even fit on a Bar Box with some elbow room as well.
Gonna have to give it a try when I can.
Thanks;

hank

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You will have to drag it back to start it from the beginning for there are some nice comments made about Fats and One Pocket.
But this is where I first seen 7 ball played. The player on their first shot after the break has to pick their long side to pocket the 7 ball. So some similarities to my game, except in my game it is the first player to make a bank, then that is their long side.

Fats has a lot of respect for Crane. Crane is the man! That story of Keith Thompson's playing Crane 9-ball in Johnston City is just tremendous, what a match, and then Crane coming in 2nd. at the Stardust to Harold Worst in '65.

The 'meat man' Joe Balsis vs. Crane. They claim Joe Balsis is the man that retired Mosconi.
Notice Allen Hopkins break, that is atypical action, making balls! The 7-ball breaks fantastic!
Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
This is an interesting game idea and a nice variation from standard banks. I just returned from both our European trip and Ann Arbor where Di and I went back for their homecoming game and seeing family.

I will try to video this bank game but just know I'm not good at playing against myself...I cheat 😂🤣. Whitey is an innovator with too much time on his hands. More soon.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Question for ya. Do balls sunk on the Break come back up and get re-spotted after
the Breaker's inning is complete. Guessin' they may.
Have another. When you mention choosing their Long Side;
" Long-Side Selection: is determined and marked by the player that first scores a bank.
Only balls legally banked into a shooter’s scoring pocket (my highlite), will be scored,
all other balls pocketed in any pocket at any time, or jumped off of the table will be held
for spotting at the end of the inning. "
Are you saying that it is also a 1P type of game as you mention in the RED above, as the
only place to score or do the player's have all 3 pockets on a side to score in?

Thanks for your thoughts, my brain struggles with converting written into physical.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, Howdy;

Question for ya. Do balls sunk on the Break come back up and get re-spotted after
the Breaker's inning is complete. Guessin' they may.
Have another. When you mention choosing their Long Side;
" Long-Side Selection: is determined and marked by the player that first scores a bank.
Only balls legally banked into a shooter’s scoring pocket (my highlite), will be scored,
all other balls pocketed in any pocket at any time, or jumped off of the table will be held
for spotting at the end of the inning. "
Are you saying that it is also a 1P type of game as you mention in the RED above, as the
only place to score or do the player's have all 3 pockets on a side to score in?

Thanks for your thoughts, my brain struggles with converting written into physical.

hank
Hank,
To start with I was thinking of you when I decided to post this bank game, so a thanks for the comments, and I hope you find someone to play you banks. It can also be played with 6 balls w/ winner scoring 3 banks, of which is a quicker game but ends up with less shot selections, but the break is pretty boring. This could be more appealing for quicker action and for players breaking into the game of banks.

But yes, a ball pocketed on the break or at anytime that is not a legally played bank is then spotted at the end of the inning.

Yes, it is very similar to One Pocket! The player that first scores a bank determines their long side of the table, of which is all 3 pockets, and should mark their side. Put all the extra balls in the tray so you only have 7 balls on the table, and if you drop pockets it then makes it easy to keep track of the score.

A ball jumped off the table is not a foul and if a bank is also scored, it counts and play continues, and the jumped ball is spotted at the end of the inning.

The shooter pocketing any balls in an opponent's pocket will not be scored but held and spotted at the end of an inning.

Balls that are forgotten to be spotted, and when once remember are then spotted after each player has had an inning.

A cue ball scratch is ball in hand behind the line, and a legal object ball has to be below the line, other fouls are played as the cue ball lies.

Any foul is a -1 scored ball or is owed the table and marked up as owed. If you score a bank plus scratch the ball is spotted plus another ball for the foul, unless owed the table.

This game is played by standard bank rules, of which Steve has posted at the top of the bank forum. Players can always decide on their own rules, of which some players allow a kick shot of 3 rails or more when the ob is in a pocket. A rail adjacent to the ob is not counted as a kick rail.

I hope you find this game as enjoyable as I do, and you get someone to play you!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Ok, here's a quick 7 minute video of me playing Whitey's new bank game with myself. It took me all of one shot to cheat (see, I told you) lol. I hit the opening bank too good for it not to fall so I gave it to me, these dang 4 1/4" pockets.

I also think I shot at the wrong side once, it's very confusing playing against yourself. But I think the video shows a little of the creativity the game offers. Hope you enjoy it.

Nicely done Whitey.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey & 12 sq'ed, Howdy;

Whitey, Thanks for the expansion on the workings of the game.

Dave, Thanks for the show-n-tell, helps cement the workings to the
gray cells.

Thanks again to the Both of ya.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You will have to drag it back to start at the beginning. But Puckett is continuing to play well, and Fats is hitting lights out banks, and ends a game with a magnificent kick bank. When Fats hit that kick bank, I just had to share this.

Is that Bugs sitting at the head of the table?

Thanks Dave, that was very special of you to step up and test try out my game of banks. You hit a lot of great banks! I'll have to add the assist rule , like on the 5 ball bank! LOL!
But seriously, I love the 1 ball bank, and stoning in a long cross corner bank, the 8 ball bank was too sweet, and of course finishing with a two rail kitty corner bank, all flashes of OP banking skills!

This brings back flashes of our MOT match where you hit a very hard to make back bank to put me in dire peril, of which ultimately put you in position to control and win the final game.

Hank, you are welcomed, clarification is good!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have spent a good 3 months in the writing of this game rule, and believe me it has morphed many times. But it never occurred to me that this game could be played by just straight up standard bank rules, banking a ball in any hole w/ the winner scoring 4 balls.

Think about it, a quicker action game than 9-ball banks that offers a better break! The 9-ball break is so jacked up these days, with breaker fiddling with the rack for minutes so they make a corner ball on the break, don't say they do not do this!

My game rule writing has gone to report, but I could do a re-write to include 7-ball standard banks.
*Maybe standard 7-ball banks will bring our OP.org bank members out of the woodwork to make a comment, for it maybe more to their liking.

Standard 7-ball banks would not promote multi-rail banks like long side, but it would have obvious merits.

I mean if you're from the era of 9-ball shoot-out, you then know that players want to get it on, fast action, and standard banks 7- ball would really get it on!
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hank,
I was again thinking of you. Standard 7-ball banks, excellent for your 4 x 8 and also excellent for you to get a match up, and excellent for players wanting to get their feet wet in banks!
thanks for the like, I appreciate it!
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have petitioned that my initial post of the game rule writing that has gone to report be taking off of report so I can edit the game rule writing to include 7-ball Standard Banks. Otherwise the edited real game rule writing will be buried somewhere in this thread instead of on the initial post.
Here is how I changed it to include standard bank.

7-Ball - Standard / Long Side - Banks

The Game:
is played with 7 all legal object balls w/ the winner scoring 4 banked balls. 7 ball banks can be played by either standard bank rules, which is a fast action game that allows a ball to be banked in any pocket, or by the opponents / teams having opposite long sides of the table to pocket bank their scored balls, which is a game that by design is promoting multiple rail banks.

I added a little color to the game depictions, of which is to promote excitement and enticement for a player to try these new unique bank games.
Any added thoughts?
I mean it is a good idea to add standard banks into the mix, for it is quick action w/ a tremendous break!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sETiQK2aJcJ2Ew8k6
I wanted to put up a better example of the break! Check out the 1 ball action and it is racked in the middle of the rack.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just had to post this up, for it is probably the last the 3 great ones were together,

Willie Mosconi, Irving Crane, and Jimmy Caras. They all three started playing in the 14.1 Championship at approximately the same time in around '32. Caras won the title 3 years later. Mosconi nearly won the title right off the bat but couldn't get out, and it took another 9 years or so before he won. Once Mosconi figured it, coupled with the past greats aging or not playing any more, then dominated the championships. Crane won it two years after Mosconi. Crane ran 309 balls on a 5 x 10, later Mosconi matched the feat with a 309 but not sure if it was on a 5 x 10. Mosconi is recovering from surgery and thus is not playing in this event.

Ursetti I believe is the brain child of this tournament and to have it nationally televised, and we surely thank him. There was 3 of these events, but I do not know the years.
In a leading up interview with Allen Hopkins, he states; "that 7-ball was a game created for TV".
I just have to wonder who created the game of 7- Ball, maybe Ursetti?

The game of 7-ball was not a recognized game in my '68 BCA rule book, but it is in my '03 BCA rule book.
Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
7-Ball - Long Side - Banks

The Game:
is played with 7 all legal object balls w/ the winner scoring 4 banked balls. 7 ball banks can be played by either standard bank rules, which is a fast action game that allows a ball to be banked in any pocket, or by the opponents / teams having opposite long sides of the table to pocket bank their scored balls, which is a game that by design is promoting multiple rail banks.
Lag: the winner of the lag has the option to break.
The Rack: the opponent racks a standard 7-ball rack by hand or with a standard rack. The breaker can inspect the rack, and can ask for a re-rack.
The Break: is a head ball break requiring a ball to be pocketed, or two balls must pass the table’s center line. Requirement not met; then the incoming player either accepts the table as is, or breaks. Winner of the game breaks the next rack. * the rack breaks spectacular *
Long-Side Selection: is determined and marked by the player that first scores a bank.
Only balls legally banked into a shooter’s scoring pocket will be scored, all other balls pocketed in any pocket at any time, or jumped off of the table will be held for spotting at the end of the inning.
Rail Count, Alternative: it is played the same, except it is a successive game format that banks all 7 balls each game, but scores the rails used to bank and not the number of banks.The players play to a predetermined number of total scored rails to win a set or a match.
Note: standard bank rules apply, except when game rules supersede.

* Enjoy this unique game of banks *

created by;
Dennis 'Whitey' Young

Here is the edited game rule writing for those that are interested in copying it. I was unable to get my initial post taken off of 'report', so the game rule writing with the addition of standard 7-ball banks has to be regrettably buried on a back post.