2023 DATES AND SCHEDULING

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Little selfish/self-serving here....my schedule is gonna have to start getting populated soon.....vacation and disposible income considerations to plan for as well.....

What are the dates for the 1P.ORG MOT? (I'm assuming south or west coast is up this year, location that Steve decides would be nice to know as well...)

When is Buffalos? (would be nice to have a 1p.org mini at Lacy's again.....apparently got slept last year (no bueno)....i nominate Mitch to handle all that....)

When is US Open? (guessing Mark will do it at Griffs's in Vegas again? anyone know?)

thanks in advance.

big thing i'd like to see determined is the MOT dates. Steve - just do it - say when (and where) it is......

:sleep:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Good question for the annual MOT. Our members attend three events now at a pretty significant degree of participation:
  • Derby City in the end of January
  • Buffalo's always Memorial Day weekend (includes the opportunity to have our own MOT at Lacy's Cue, in nearby Chalmette)
  • Bogie's Senior One Pocket in October
The best we can do in between as much as possible for our MOT would be something like:
  • End of March/early April
  • July/August
  • November
We tried July this year, and it was an issue -- but part of that was probably cost because it turns out Virginia Beach is expensive during the summer season, being an ocean resort town. I don't think that would be as much of an issue say in Chicago, but even there (or anywhere) travel rates are a bit higher during summer vacation season -- both hotels and flights. When we picked what we thought would be a fixed annual date a few years ago, we picked right around Memorial Day weekend -- partly to avoid that summer uptick in travel costs. But Buffalo's has that time slot. I kind of lean toward end of March/early April. But I would not argue November, or even summer (just not a resort town lol).

Members, please speak up in terms of where and when you want to see the next MOT. We had our best turnouts at Lacy's Cue in Louisiana, Chris's in Chicago, and California Billiards. Those were all in areas where we have a fair amount of players convenient to the location.

We can even make it work in a room with 8 to 12 tables as long as we start at noon on Friday, even with races to 3 both sides. We have proven that now and have the schedule daily goals locked down to make it happen. More tables make matching up easier, and the first day of the tournament easier, but other than that, there isn't really a difference.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I thought Mitch mentioned something about Buffalo's tournament in March?
Buffalo's is definitely Memorial Day weekend -- that is his lock down date every year, no if's and's or but's lol. Although I know some people are pushing for him to hold a second one, I think they are talking about the fall -- and I don't know if Buff himself (James Leone) is on board.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Yeah I was way off when I said March! Lol. Not the first nor the last time I will have been wrong lol.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would love to see something set up at either Michael's or the new place in Louisville that crabbman mentioned. I can talk to the guy for Michael's but I think we are probably due one on the best coast. Thoughts?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would love to see something set up at either Michael's or the new place in Louisville that crabbman mentioned. I can talk to the guy for Michael's but I think we are probably due one on the best coast. Thoughts?
That might sort of be two regionals in a way. Scrzbill already has asked about a regional in CA and I told him it was ok to go ahead and try to find a spot that the CA guys can agree to.

I also want to try Railyard in Louisville or Michael’s.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
That might sort of be two regionals in a way. Scrzbill already has asked about a regional in CA and I told him it was ok to go ahead and try to find a spot that the CA guys can agree to.

I also want to try Railyard in Louisville or Michael’s.

can we say that there will be a MOT Date and Location chosen by December 1 ?

otherwise, without some decisiveness, these discussions are like the energizer bunny....they just keep going and going and going....lol...

imo, picking the MOT should be priority #1. the benchmarks being dcc (january), midwest open (march), buffalos (may), us open (who fukn knows...june?), seniors (october).

(1.org regionals can fill in - step up and organize one....)

:cautious:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

otherwise, without some decisiveness, these discussions are like the energizer bunny....they just keep going and going and going....lol...

imo, picking the MOT should be priority #1. the benchmarks being dcc (january), midwest open (march), buffalos (may), us open (who fukn knows...june?), seniors (october).

Are they having a Midwest at michaels again in March?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Midwest Open? I was not aware that was a major event for onepocket.org members. Are you saying it is Miller? I included Buffalo's, DCC and Bogie's Senior because we probably get a dozen or so members a year on a regular basis at all of those. The US Open not so much, and I would assume not so much at the midwest open also. But I have never been to the midwest Open, and I've only attended about a half dozen US Opens myself, so maybe that is just my perception.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
As no body is speaking up...I still propose Railyard in Louisville.
8 new identical 4.25 pocket Diamonds which is unlike any other room I've heard of. Great place, inexpensive, great owner, no smoking. Plenty of parking even for RVs. Full menu in house with small resturants and shops all around..

Free live stream with scoring already installed in house. Follow them on Facebook if you wanna see it.. The owner is a young tech guy and avid one pocket/banks player. Home base for Fedor/Kristina/De Marco/ Greg. Great music streamed. Old Railyard station. This will be his first year he is open for DCC so that will be great. Already on board for our tournament.
I think a open 32 limit Thursday night bank mini would go over huge there BTW.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I hope we can get a proposal from a member for Hard Times. The guy might do a pro stream out of there as well as great hosts..

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I hope we can get a proposal from a member for Hard Times. The guy might do a pro stream out of there as well as great hosts..

I will talk to Oscar if the members want to come to CA. They have a pretty full tournament schedule here, and he has been wanting to have an added $ tournament for me, but the membership has to decide where they want it. Railyard sounds good to me also. Post-Up free streams every tournament they have. CA Billiards may do another one if we ask.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I will talk to Oscar if the members want to come to CA. They have a pretty full tournament schedule here, and he has been wanting to have an added $ tournament for me, but the membership has to decide where they want it. Railyard sounds good to me also. Post-Up free streams every tournament they have. CA Billiards may do another one if we ask

How about Railyard in the spring — or midsummer might even be better — and CA in either the fall or spring if Railyard is summer — or fall if Railyard is spring.

I’m in favor

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I like the idea of Railyard or Hard Times. I do think we may to consider going down to maybe 1 MOT so we can get to a full field again. 2 in a year with a lot of us meeting up at Buffalo's or Derby makes alot of get togethers! Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Are they having a Midwest at michaels again in March?

i am not sure, but would assume so? (have you heard anything?)

Midwest Open? I was not aware that was a major event for onepocket.org members. Are you saying it is Miller? I included Buffalo's, DCC and Bogie's Senior because we probably get a dozen or so members a year on a regular basis at all of those. The US Open not so much, and I would assume not so much at the midwest open also. But I have never been to the midwest Open, and I've only attended about a half dozen US Opens myself, so maybe that is just my perception.

yes. in attendance last year, by my count: myself, marianni, newkirk, principe, cincy kid, clay carmen, butch brumback, chicgo mike (who had a heck of a tourney....). apologize if i'm missing anyone.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
How about Railyard in the spring — or midsummer might even be better — and CA in either the fall or spring if Railyard is summer — or fall if Railyard is spring.

I’m in favor
Sounds like a great place John. I will follow them.