2020 Members Only Tournament (MoT) - Room Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve never been to Michaels but I like the idea. Mike Medley has been a good guy for pool for years. He also has a neat display of Cowboy Dennis’s poem

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
of course I am all for Micheal's too because it would ensure I could make it since its local, haha!

That being said, every time we have brought up 12 tables, we have determined we would either need to start earlier Friday, add a day or change the format. I am ok with any of the above as long as those who would be travelling here are ok with it too.

I know Micheal has always been interested, its the number of tables that has been the issue in the past.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The sooner the better! People want to make their vacation plans and knowing where this will be is essential! :)

I’ve put in for vacation for the dates. Can I nominate two rooms? I’d like to nominate Lacy’s and California Billiards. It just doesn’t get any better than those two rooms

BRLongArm

Verified Member
More about dates and this may require some strategery on Steve’s part….:eek:

Whenever it was….four or five years ago, there was a long thread where we came up with the recurring dates. Lots of input and ideas – some good, some batshit crazy, etc. The synopsis is that we ultimately came up with the first full weekend of June (meaning Friday – Sunday) for two main reasons: (1) opposite side of the calendar from DCC, and (2) cheaper travel before summer airfare rates, hotel rates, etc. kick in…..

This may need to be reconsidered. The reason: HOF Event and Dinner.

ICBW, but I was thinking that Joe (brlongarm) had set things up so the HOF Dinner can take place at the same time as Buffalo’s now that DCC gave us the boot. If my assumption on this is correct, we might need to look at the dates – isn’t Buffalo’s May 21 - 24? That might make our recurring June dates bunk.

Just something to throw out there and consider….

:)
The Hall of Fame Dinner will occur on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at Buffalo's on Bloomfield in New Orleans. Nearest/Best Hotel: Hampton Inn and Suites, New Orleans Elmwood (855) 479-0732. 5150 Mounes St. Harahan, LA 70123. This hotel is literally walking distance to the pool room. Many restaurants around and abundant parking.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I’ve put in for vacation for the dates. Can I nominate two rooms? I’d like to nominate Lacy’s and California Billiards. It just doesn’t get any better than those two rooms
You can nominate -- but what we really need for each room is a member committed to being our local liaison and advocate for the room. That means you are the go-between for onepocket.org and the room owner, unless the room owner is also a member here and wants to jump in. In fact Chris Swart, owner of CA Billiards is a member here. But if you want to take leadership for Lacy's for sure, that would be great!! You can for CA Billiards too, or contact Chris Swart (well either way you need to contact the owners, because that is part of the job).

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Next year, I would be in favor of looking at a different time of year for the MOT if our Hall of Fame dinner looks like it is going to get locked in for the long term at Buffalo's, on the Wed before Memorial Day. But 2020 I think we have to suck it up and live with the timing proximity. Like Jim the pilot and others have said, they have already put in for MOT vacation time for 2020. The only question for 2020 is where it will be held. That vote we should do ASAP. So any other rooms that wish to be in the mix need to get their proposal together:

When nominating a room, please try to include the following:
  • Name of the room with contact info (address, phone, website or FB if they have one)
  • How many tables will be dedicated for tournament use?
  • Does the room offer any food/snacks? Alcohol?
  • Is the smoking or non-smoking?
  • Give us an idea on how far away it is from the closest airport, other restaurants, hotels, etc.
  • Are there any special rates offered by a certain hotel if we mention the room or event?
  • What is the amount of green fees? (if applicable)
  • Will there be any money added? (this is not mandatory, just an option if the room owner would like to)
  • Anything else you think would be good information to know about the room or area

Plus each room needs a member as liaison/advocate. Preferably someone local who knows the room and area well -- and also knows the local players. Local players because one of the reasons we move this event around is that the tournament itself becomes a recruiting tool for getting new members or shy members to PARTICIPATE in the forum more, because they need to if they want to be eligible to compete.

I want to starting 2020 actually have a few posters made ahead of time -- several months ahead -- with tournament information, as well as basic information on becoming eligible by being involved in the onepocket.org forum.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
16 tables is nice but if we have less it just means we have to start earlier on Friday. Because the bottom line is we need to finish within schedule Sunday evening (which we did in Philly -- thank you Jeanne!). To do that we need to be at certain points Friday night end of matches and Saturday night end of matches. Of course that is based on 3/3 double elimination. So when it comes to voting, the number of tables will effect the schedule and keep that in mind in your voting.

So far we have been to:
New Orleans area (Lacey's)
Chicago (Chris's)
California (California Billiards)
Philadelphia (Bluegrass)

I think any location could go on the ballot, given that we have already crossed the country east west north south so to speak.

One other thing is that for any nomination we need someone -- presumably the one doing the nominating -- to be the advocate/local representative to obtain answers to member questions to ensure full information to make decisions, and most importantly to verify with the room owner that this works for them, and also to be a bit of a onepocket.org liaison with the room and the local players in the region around that room!!

Chris's Billiards wants us back - the owners, the local action one pocket players, the side-betters, and the sweaters all want youse guys back!

Any weekend in June is fine.

Me 👻 and Chicago Mike 🦈 would be your local representatives/advocates.

There are 16 great playing tables to be dedicated for the tournament - 6 Diamonds and 10 Gold Crowns - and the Gold Crowns have been beautifully redone, with new rubber/rails, and recovered.

There are also 5 heated Euro 3cushion tables and 2 6x12 snooker tables.

Food, snacks, and BYO alcohol are available.

The room is a non-smoking room.

Greens fees will be only $10 per person for the weekend.

$500 would be added.

Plus there are two great features at Chris's Billiards/an old school players room, that you won't find anywhere else = #1. There is no jukebox/loud/bad music playing/allowed in the main tournament room - you just hear that beautiful old school sound > the click of the balls (and maybe some loud cursing every so often due to missed shots or selling out, lol)...and #2. No uncomfortable, back-ache inducing, backless barstools (n) like a lot of rooms very wrongly (imo) have for their serious players and sweaters --- instead, Chris's has 2-6 comfortable stadium chairs surrounding every table (y).

And lastly....we've got 9 members of onepocket.org here in town, and they would all probably play in the tournament, giving an instant jump up to get the full 32 player field.

I'm including a few pics that I took today - this first pic is of the 2 Diamond tables that weren't here at the time of the last M.O.T. tournament. >>>
001.JPG

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I would love to come back to Chris’s. Watch out Ghosty, I have been practicing my three cushion now we have two Gabriel tables.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I talked to Lacy’s, they only have 12 tables now. I’m crossing them off my list. I doubt I’ll go to Michael’s with only 12 tables. Your preference may vary.

There’s only two rooms on my list for this year. California Billiards and Chris’s. I’m good for either room.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I prefer to go where there are diamond tables...…jmho. and no bullshit like not letting a game go on/or a guy hit balls next to a table being played on....wtf?

[at some point there needs to be a reasonable/practical discussion about how to get the tourney done in three days. philly was a light turn-out and exception to not going till dawn (a saturday night game was still cut off)..... think there might be something to 3/2 and going back to 3 at the tail end of the losers side like they did at michaels recently...]

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I prefer to go where there are diamond tables...…jmho. and no bullshit like not letting a game go on/or a guy hit balls next to a table being played on....wtf?

[at some point there needs to be a reasonable/practical discussion about how to get the tourney done in three days. philly was a light turn-out and exception to not going till dawn (a saturday night game was still cut off)..... think there might be something to 3/2 and going back to 3 at the tail end of the losers side like they did at michaels recently...]
Dee obviously has a handle on things up there. He saw his elderly players suffering to play his tournament, recognized it was a problem and is fixing it.

Last edited: