1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Jeff- aside from the stream, will you be posting/updating brackets for us sweaters?? Not sure about anyone else, but I don't want to miss a thing! (Unlike when I shoot a ball 😇) That last was for you John. 😂

You hear about the guys who set up a "Bad Beat" table at the WSOP? They put up a sign that said they'd listen to your bad beat story for $5........ 2 for $15, 3 for $30.

I'm gonna start chargin' you every time I have to read how bad you play. :heh

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff- aside from the stream, will you be posting/updating brackets for us sweaters?? Not sure about anyone else, but I don't want to miss a thing! (Unlike when I shoot a ball 😇) That last was for you John. 😂

It's gonna take all the concentration I have to win a single match in this event, so I won't be doing any posting on the days results during the current day. I will be trying to match up after hours and when not in action, I suspect I will be drinking a few brews and watching those who are in action, maybe making a side bet or two.

I would be glad to post the previous days results in the AM, after I walk my dogs, but I'm sure someone else will have done it the day before. :sorry

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'm working today, taking off Tuesday to practice a little, then working Wednesday, then taking the rest of the week off. I will be at Bogies by noon on Thursday, trying to iron out the chinks in my armor. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

It's gonna take all the concentration I have to win a single match in this event, so I won't be doing any posting on the days results during the current day. I will be trying to match up after hours and when not in action, I suspect I will be drinking a few brews and watching those who are in action, maybe making a side bet or two.

I would be glad to post the previous days results in the AM, after I walk my dogs, but I'm sure someone else will have done it the day before. :sorry

It's OK Jeff. You have done a ton here so whatever you do is truly fine! I selfishly didn't even think of your time. Sorry. Hopefully someone will be able to update the masses, but again... No expectations. Go get em!!!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
It's OK Jeff. You have done a ton here so whatever you do is truly fine! I selfishly didn't even think of your time. Sorry. Hopefully someone will be able to update the masses, but again... No expectations. Go get em!!!

I will try and keep things up to date when I am not playing. I think I can take pics of the tournament board and post them or email them to someone who can.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I will try and keep things up to date when I am not playing. I think I can take pics of the tournament board and post them or email them to someone who can.

That would be fantastic John. And much appreciated!! If you need, I will pm my email in case you need someone to post them.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jeff - highway advice

Jeff - highway advice

Jeff, I'll be coming in from Miss., hitting the Houston metro area around 1-2:00 on Thursday afternoon. I'm concerned about traffic jams heading north out of downtown on the I-45. I'd love to take the toll road, but there are no pay stations any more, so if you don't have a pass, you get a ticket.

Would I be better off coming up the 59, then west on the 1960? Or do you think that the 59 would be no better than the I-45?

Thanks~
Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, I'll be coming in from Miss., hitting the Houston metro area around 1-2:00 on Thursday afternoon. I'm concerned about traffic jams heading north out of downtown on the I-45. I'd love to take the toll road, but there are no pay stations any more, so if you don't have a pass, you get a ticket.

Would I be better off coming up the 59, then west on the 1960? Or do you think that the 59 would be no better than the I-45?

Thanks~
Doc

Doc,

You will be ok until about 3:00 PM on I 45. Shouldn't be a problem at all between 1:00 and 2:00, in fact that's one of the best times to move around in Houston. Other favorable times are 9:30 am to 11:30 am and of course all weekdays after 10:00 PM until morning rush, which starts early on the major incoming highways, I'd say be done before 7:00 am or get stuck during the week. Weekend travel is a mixed bag, depending on where you are going and what sporting events are happening, but for the most part on weekends, travel around Houston is fairly smooth with the possible exception of dinner time and cocktail hour on Saturdays, say tween 7:00 & 8:00 PM

That's about it Art, hope this helps you & others as well.

Jeff

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Thanks~
Doc

Doc, I used to take US90 from Beaumont to Dayton, where you can pick up 1960. I can't imagine there's anything better than that.

pvclou

Verified Member

Doc,

Like Jeff says, I-45 should go pretty smoothly at midday. However, I-59 north from downtown seems to be almost always free of traffic jams even at rush hour, and the road itself is smoother (fewer pot holes).

Do you have a smartphone? I almost always check the traffic on my iPhone maps application before i get on the road.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Doc,

Like Jeff says, I-45 should go pretty smoothly at midday. However, I-59 north from downtown seems to be almost always free of traffic jams even at rush hour, and the road itself is smoother (fewer pot holes).

Do you have a smartphone? I almost always check the traffic on my iPhone maps application before i get on the road.

If you can get it, install the Waze app on your smart device. It has amazingly good routing based on real time traffic updates. Going from DC to NY, it has come up with routes that have saved me tons of time in the last few years.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If you can get it, install the Waze app on your smart device. It has amazingly good routing based on real time traffic updates. Going from DC to NY, it has come up with routes that have saved me tons of time in the last few years.

I thought that was what google maps did. I'll look at waze myself

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I thought that was what google maps did. I'll look at waze myself

Google bought Waze a year or so ago, but the two products don't use the same algorithms. From what I once read, Google Maps tracks traffic based on the pace at which cell phones pass towers. Waze does that too, but also incorporates user-submitted traffic information. And it seems to have better algorithms.

Waze also shows when users report police presence ahead.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks, lads, for the tips on the driving routes. I'll probably end up taking the I-45 if it's before 2 P.M.; the 59 if after.

John, I thought about that Rt. 90 way. It's probably a 4 lane, and it would save about 15-20 miles. But the slow-downs and stops at the little towns along the way might make it slower than would the interstates. Plus you probably drove that way before the interstates went in....:D

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Thanks, lads, for the tips on the driving routes. I'll probably end up taking the I-45 if it's before 2 P.M.; the 59 if after.

John, I thought about that Rt. 90 way. It's probably a 4 lane, and it would save about 15-20 miles. But the slow-downs and stops at the little towns along the way might make it slower than would the interstates. Plus you probably drove that way before the interstates went in....:D

~Doc

Doc,
If you wish you may keep on interstate 10 until the tollway, exit North you'll have two toll booths that you may pay cash before you exit free on Interstate 45 North or continue on to Aldine Westfield, and go North. Bogies is on the corner of Hwy 1960 and Aldine Westfield.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

~Doc

Yeah, I'm talkin' about before Eisenhower. :D

Seriously, in 2005 I was staying in Humble on 1960 near the airport and had to go to Beaumont once in a while. Tried every route and found that best. I don't recall much slowdown along the way.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Doc, Rod is right about jumping on the beltway8 off I-10, just stay on the beltway till Aldine Westfield go north and you run into Bogies. No reason to get on 45.--Smitty