1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Bummer. I ...have a feeling Rod is more comfortable staying under cover 😊.

Nah. I doubt seriously whether that has anything to do with it.

I think he'll look you right in the eye, fire in a 3-ball carom bank combination, and not give a shit who sees it. :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John Rizzo and I were talking over some things today that needed to be voted on at the players meeting Friday the 23rd around noon at Bogies in Houston. One of the things we talked about was whether to have a race to 3 or 4? I thought 3 would be sufficient, but John said we have players coming in from all over the country and might go 0/3 then 0/3 and out in their first two matches and he thought a race to 4 would be a better way to go to honor the distance travelers. Just wanted to give a heads up on this because the race # will ultimately be decided by a show of hands at the players meeting.

There are numerous other rules and topics that we will be voting on at the players meeting, but none that require advanced notice, just mostly standard stuff, like preference ie; base of the ball, or touching the line. 3 foul rule, ball on the break, and a few others.
This proposal is very democratically minded, but they might be biting off more than they'd like to chew. A players' meeting to decide on rules could go on for hours. It might be easier to just use the rules published on this site, which are listed under the "Playing The Game" menu at the top of the page. Those rules are well established, and they are prima facie evidence of standardization.

As far as the races length, the main consideration might be time. With 3 days allotted and only 19 or so players, races to 4 would fit, although some of those matches could easily drag out to 3 hours. Also stamina may be a consideration for some of the players, especially if a guy has to play several matches in one day.

I'm sure that John and his crew will come up with the right decisions.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Nope,

I talked with him yesterday at Bogies, he's been coming in for about a week now, getting used to the equipment. We had high hopes his practicing was for playing the tournament, but not happening.

I believe it's a stamina issue with Rod, he used to be a marathoner, now he plays until he gets tired and that's usually in the 3/4 hour range, but sometimes shorter. I believe it's the sometimes shorter that prevents him from entering the tournament.

Rod is looking forward to this event, as we all are, he's going to mix it up with some of you guys. Hopefully the stream will be left on and they will match up and play on that table.

We should have enough time to get quite a few of the guys on the stream in three days. After tournament matches played on the table used for streaming will be determined by the players in action who play on that table.

Billy I. Usually puts together a partners game or two that are entertaining and if coaching is allowed there will have to be a referee.:D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This proposal is very democratically minded, but they might be biting off more than they'd like to chew. A players' meeting to decide on rules could go on for hours. It might be easier to just use the rules published on this site, which are listed under the "Playing The Game" menu at the top of the page. Those rules are well established, and they are prima facie evidence of standardization.

As far as the races length, the main consideration might be time. With 3 days allotted and only 19 or so players, races to 4 would fit, although some of those matches could easily drag out to 3 hours. Also stamina may be a consideration for some of the players, especially if a guy has to play several matches in one day.

I'm sure that John and his crew will come up with the right decisions.

~Doc

If it goes hill/hill, three hours might be the norm going to four with many matches taking longer. Bernie P and I played a six plus hour match at the U.S. Open One Pocket a few years back.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I'm sure that John and his crew will come up with the right decisions. It also favors the weaker player by preventing the better player in a match from forcing the game to 12-12 to increase his edge. (Of course none of our guys would do something like that :D )

~Doc

For my $.02, I agree with everything here. My preference for the races, as Hendy suggested, 4/3 (3 on losers side only because that's where a player might have to play the most matches in a day.)

I also strongly favor 3-foul rule for several reasons, one of them being it might help avoid an extra-long match. It also favors the weaker players by preventing the stronger player from forcing the game to 12-12 to increase his advantage. (Of course none of our guys would do something like that. :D )

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For my $.02, I agree with everything here. My preference for the races, as Hendy suggested, 4/3 (3 on losers side only because that's where a player might have to play the most matches in a day.)

I also strongly favor 3-foul rule for several reasons, one of them being it might help avoid an extra-long match. It also favors the weaker players by preventing the stronger player from forcing the game to 12-12 to increase his advantage. (Of course none of our guys would do something like that. :D )

Before they had the 3 foul rule at DCC, I saw Corey and Shannon go - 5 to - 8 at which point Cory, who had the -8 says, "I'll just give you the game and let's start the next one." To which Shannon says, "No, this is fun. Let's play it out." Cory won the game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost, I am part of the bunch from 1P.org, I am listed as Harold Smith, never have seen Buddy post anything on here.---Smitty

Hi Harold, didn't know you're real name - pleased to meetcha...but just as the Ghost would not overlook any move playing One Pocket :) the Ghost 'covers his bases' and didn't overlook you - you were part of the etc...:heh ----->

Hey Jeff....if you have any say-so as to which matches go on the streaming table...no offense to your local Texas players...but as for myself, and I have a hunch also for all the guys here on onepocket.org...I'd like to see our onepocket.org bros (Billy, Jeff, the two John's, Frank, G-doc, etc.) get the lions share of the streaming table...:heh...oh yeah, and also Buddy...:)

- Ghosty

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
What's the weather like in Houston, not sure what clothes to bring. One more week to kick off. I'm going to start today to practice, practice, practice. Also going to see the TIN MAN and get a new heart.With all the action my old heart couldn't take it. I'll follow Dr.Bill to the winners circle, what ever the Doctor bets on I'm in with the winners not losers.

aprildrifter

senior tourny

senior tourny

Jeff S, will not be able to attend as planned. A friend of mine passed and I will be going to So Padre for the service on the 25th. Hate to miss the opportunity to visit with old friends.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I remember old people telling me how fast time flies when you get a little age on you. As a youngster I just shook it off and chalked it up to them being old and not really knowing what they were talking about. Come to find out, they were right, time does fly when you're old!

Seems like just a few days ago when we were discussing this gathering as a possibility sometime in the future. That was July 7th, 100 days ago!

Next week will mark the first time in the history of the game of one pocket that a group of Super Seniors 70 + years old and older have gathered together to decide who is the best in the world.

Think about that for a second, Best in the World, the person that wins the title next week will have the bragging rights for a year and can honestly lay claim to the fact that they are the best one pocket player alive.... Over the age of 70!!!

Next week old sport!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Weather/Player update

Weather/Player update

Partly cloudy with the possibility of some light rain all 3 days. Highs around 80, and lows around 60.

Humidity should be moderate to high, but should not affect the playability of the tables, as the new cloth kind of counteracts the humidity factor. After playing for a few minutes, you will get the feel for both speed and banks.

Jimmie George "Flyboy" Spears, one of our Onepocket.org Hall of Famers had to withdraw due to a hip injury, the grind of a tournament would have been to much for him to take, but he said he would show up and who knows, he likes to gamble!!

Houston Cal Reynolds is a late hold-out on posting his entry fee, but I'm in hopes he will still join the fray.

Regardless, we have 17 paid entries, a full field & a good group for the 1st tournament.

Some players are coming in a day or two early ( Frank & Hendy )and it would be nice to hear from other members here about their planned arrival dates.

It's upon us fellas, it's this week!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

Jeff- aside from the stream, will you be posting/updating brackets for us sweaters?? Not sure about anyone else, but I don't want to miss a thing! (Unlike when I shoot a ball 😇) That last was for you John. 😂

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Partly cloudy with the possibility of some light rain all 3 days. Highs around 80, and lows around 60.

Humidity should be moderate to high, but should not affect the playability of the tables, as the new cloth kind of counteracts the humidity factor. After playing for a few minutes, you will get the feel for both speed and banks.

Jimmie George "Flyboy" Spears, one of our Onepocket.org Hall of Famers had to withdraw due to a hip injury, the grind of a tournament would have been to much for him to take, but he said he would show up and who knows, he likes to gamble!!

Houston Cal Reynolds is a late hold-out on posting his entry fee, but I'm in hopes he will still join the fray.

Regardless, we have 17 paid entries, a full field & a good group for the 1st tournament.

Some players are coming in a day or two early ( Frank & Hendy )and it would be nice to hear from other members here about their planned arrival dates.

It's upon us fellas, it's this week!

My current plan is to arrive about noon on Thursday, but I'm gettin' itchy, so I might come in Wednesday night.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
My current plan is to arrive about noon on Thursday, but I'm gettin' itchy, so I might come in Wednesday night.

I will be there late Weds and come check the room out. I will try and get a good nights rest and be in action A bit Thursday.