1p etiquette- ?

evergruven

Verified Member
contrasting ball colors atop the rack make it easier to see between the head ball and second ball to break, si?
my question is: when racking for an opponent, is it the standard etiquette to rack for them in this way?

and speaking of 1p etiquette, what else should a potential player know about playing with others?

evergruven

Verified Member
You probably should not gamble. etiquette is an alien word to most pool players, Unless they are robbing you.
The fact that you would even consider it, causes me to fear for your wallets future.

I'm not talking about playing for money :) fun pool, maybe a lesson..I'm just interested in being respectful

Reactions: lll

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Truer words never spoken, @Billy Jackets .

To answer your question @evergruven , most players have a preference for the color of the head ball and I've been asked lots of times to rack that way for them and never gave it a second thought. I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone to rack according to my preference either. (Those were money games, by the way, and still not an issue--too trivial a factor for a dispute.)

These days I usually insist on playing rack-your-own so this isn't even something that comes up much anymore. Everybody just racks for himself however they want.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Always rack your own even for funnsies -- it prevents friends giving you the Evil Eye.

I used to play a guy that, though he took care racking, had a way of doing it that the corner ball would consistently leak out. I know he wasn't doing anything consciously, it was just the way he racked.

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Most one pocket is played rack your own since the ball on break re rack rule is now in affect. If I'm racking for you I would throw any random balls up there I pick up first.. No fiddling around with them..
I rack for myself a certain way but it has nothing do do with ball colors.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Does anyone ever complain about the, 1 in front then 6 or 8 ball on the sides? I don't think so.

People will let others get away with what they want to let them get away with, especially with 'Suckers/even players that are Suckers!'

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Racking the 6 & 8 up front has always been considered poor sportsmanship. :(
Racking the 8-ball up-front would completely shark a great player that I looked up to as a teenager just getting started at pool. He died recently but was a three-time state champion. Kind of superstitious ("behind the eight ball") but it threw him completely off-kilter.

• Wow

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Always rack your own even for funnsies -- it prevents friends giving you the Evil Eye.

I used to play a guy that, though he took care racking, had a way of doing it that the corner ball would consistently leak out. I know he wasn't doing anything consciously, it was just the way he racked.

Lou Figueroa
That's the main thing. I don't really trust anyone else to get it right.

Actually, I'm more extreme about which colors are used than anybody--it'd take too long for me to explain all my preferences to an opponent. With rack your own, I can arrange the colors like I want quickly from having done it so much.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
That's the main thing. I don't really trust anyone else to get it right.

Actually, I'm more extreme about which colors are used than anybody--it'd take too long for me to explain all my preferences to an opponent. With rack your own, I can arrange the colors like I want quickly from having done it so much.
just send him one of your links.... 🤓 ;)😂:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Truer words never spoken, @Billy Jackets .

To answer your question @evergruven , most players have a preference for the color of the head ball and I've been asked lots of times to rack that way for them and never gave it a second thought. I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone to rack according to my preference either. (Those were money games, by the way, and still not an issue--too trivial a factor for a dispute.)

These days I usually insist on playing rack-your-own so this isn't even something that comes up much anymore. Everybody just racks for himself however they want.
i agree with the bolded part above.
i dont like the 8 ball as the second ball since i use parts of the second ball as aiming points when i break
i have learned to break with the 8 there but if i can i will ask for it to be changed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
and speaking of 1p etiquette, what else should a potential player know about playing with others?
as a general rule the outgoing player spots any balls needing to be spotted after his inning.
you dont touch the coins on the rail of your opponent.
and you shouldnt touch his balls...... :eek: 😂😂

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think I usually rack the 1 and 8 or 9 and 8 up front for the contrasting colors racking my own, but the 8 could easily be replaced with the 6.

Not to hijack the thread but it's similar to spotting a ball for your opponent on the foot spot. Do you spot a different colored ball if there are more in the tray? Do you put the number a certain place or stripe a certain direction?

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
just send him one of your links.... 🤓 ;)😂:D
You mean like send someone a link to a video of me playing? So whoever I'm playing has to study up on my way of racking beforehand?

Just trying to get the joke. But I kind of like the idea of assigning homework to someone before we play if that's what you meant. Powerful move.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm not talking about playing for money :) fun pool, maybe a lesson..I'm just interested in being respectful
I have seen some pretty hairy situations even in fun games. Some people can't handle losing. Ask your opponent if they have a preference if you really mean it. Don't get in their line of sight and pay attention to the game instead of always busy when they are shooting , that way you won't have to ask dumb questions like "was that a bad hit"? Hope you have a lot of great times,

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You mean like send someone a link to a video of me playing? So whoever I'm playing has to study up on my way of racking beforehand?

Just trying to get the joke. But I kind of like the idea of assigning homework to someone before we play if that's what you meant. Powerful move.
i was joking about our posts about the links to game theory and the prisoner and being "nerdy"
you said you didnt want to spend alot of time explaining things to your opponent
so i jokingly made reference to your links that were alittle lengthy.
all in good fun
larry

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
I think I usually rack the 1 and 8 or 9 and 8 up front for the contrasting colors racking my own, but the 8 could easily be replaced with the 6.

Not to hijack the thread but it's similar to spotting a ball for your opponent on the foot spot. Do you spot a different colored ball if there are more in the tray? Do you put the number a certain place or stripe a certain direction?
That's always bothered me but I never stopped to think about it long enough to know why. I think it's because when someone spots up a ball different than the one that went down (for an illegal pocket) or "helpfully" spots a ball for you that you owe, there's always that uncertainty about whether or not they grabbed one out of your tray.

I'm definitely on board with "don't touch my balls" but that's the rule of etiquette followed the least in my experience.

Last edited: