Search results

1. Patrick Johnson

gulfportdoc

I hope you're getting your cut of this... Are you in this pic somewhere? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0884CJNRZ?tag=ilovethatsong-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=5f84aa9cff4ad6da5c9348d1a0e70902&fbclid=IwAR3iCtlVSh87-L1Sbl3JNyt6WDPEZ6kmqDCGqKiIyDb9vbe3Ng04Av79VOw pj chgo
  2. Patrick Johnson

How important to freeze CB to rail on break?

I’ve always thought it’s important to break with inside spin to leave the CB on or near the side rail, limiting opponent’s ability to control his return shot. But the pros don’t seem to care much about that, usually leaving the CB off the rail by as much as a foot or more, often with no...
  3. Patrick Johnson

10 Commandments of One Pocket

What's the short list of most important playing tips for winning one pocket? I'll volunteer a couple (that may or may not make the 10 Commandment cut): - Always play safe, whether shooting or not. - When not shooting leave the CB frozen to something. pj chgo [A thread like this was just...
  4. Patrick Johnson

Pics of Ghost / Hendy Rumble

I could only be there for part of a game today, but got a couple of shots. Here's Ghost trying to intimidate John with a behind the back straight back bank. pj chgo
  5. Patrick Johnson

Can't Log In to Houston Stream

Anybody else having this problem? http://www.onepocket.org/watch/ Hitting the "log in as..." button doesn't work. Logging in with my onepocket.org login doesn't work. Logging in with my Facebook login doesn't work. Does anything work? pj chgo
  6. Patrick Johnson

Gulfport Doc's Inventive Past

Just ran across these YouTube videos of Doc (Art Tripp of Mothers of Invention and Captain Beefheart fame) telling his musical story. Not just a pretty face! Enjoy... pj chgo (Hope you don't mind, Doc...?)
  7. Patrick Johnson

RIP Ted Minassian (Marie's Golden Cue, Chicago)

Some of you might be familiar with the old (now closed) Chicago pool room called Marie's Golden Cue. It was sold recently by its longtime owner-operater Ted Minassian (here's a thread I posted back in January about the new room opening in its place: Surge Billiards). Well, I see news on AzB...
  8. Patrick Johnson

Asteroid Billiards?

Asteroid Billiards: This Wild Idea to Protect Earth Just Might Work By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer I propose Max Eberle to be the billiards science consultant for this important project. pj chgo
  9. Patrick Johnson

Not yer grampa's pool hall

Surge, the new 21st century poolroom/bar/restaurant/coffeeshop in Chicago, showing off its summer look. Not enough one pocket there yet... pj chgo
  10. Patrick Johnson

Rules Variations Checklist

What rules are most likely to be different from one player to the next? What would a pre-matchup checklist look like? Here’s one being discussed in another thread: - how to determine if a ball’s in/out of the kitchen What others? pj chgo
  11. Patrick Johnson

Who Invented The Lockup Safety?

Answer here: https://youtu.be/oS9KrL4z2a4?t=5585 pj chgo
  12. Patrick Johnson

RIP Mr. Bond

I'm reading on AzB that Chicago's Dave Bond, host of the American Billiard Radio podcast and keeper of the Chicago Billiard Museum ("Mr.Bond" on AzB) passed away. I didn't know him personally, but by all accounts he was a tireless billiards historian and advocate - and pretty young (under 50 I...
  13. Patrick Johnson

Blue Chalk Looks Brown On Blue Cloth?

At the new Chicago pool room I've posted about, the tables are covered with Simonis Tournament Blue cloth and they use Masters blue chalk. Sounds like the right combo, right? Strange thing - the chalk looks brown on the cloth, so the tables look dirtier than they should. Has anybody here seen...
  14. Patrick Johnson

New Pool Hall in Chicago

Thought you guys might like to hear about Surge Billiards, a new pool room that opened today in Chicago's northwest side Albany Park neighborhood. It's a great looking place with lots of amenities - coffee shop, full "pub" kitchen, big full bar, screens all around, good service... oh yeah, and...
  15. Patrick Johnson

Weird visual difficulty

I hit long thin cuts OK (for a pool wannabe), but am constantly clipping the edges of nearby object balls that I was sure I’d get by cleanly. Anybody got any ideas why or how to fix? Thanks for all responses, pj chgo
  16. Patrick Johnson

Estimating No-Throw "Gearing" Sidespin

[WARNING: SCIENCE AHEAD - TURN BACK NOW!] Most of us know that hitting a cut shot with outside sidespin can eliminate ball/ball friction and the resulting contact throw, if the amount of sidespin is just right for that cut angle. But if we apply too little or too much sidespin, then throw...
  17. Patrick Johnson

You thought you were a diehard pool player...

...but we're all snowflakes compared to the players at Gators' Crossroads in Naples, Florida. pj chgo From NPR:
  18. Patrick Johnson

What the...?

Saw this in a random online pic - no context or explanation. Check the cushions. Huh? pj chgo
  19. Patrick Johnson

Why Do Diamond Tables Bank Shorter?

I've always heard that Diamond tables bank shorter than Brunswicks, but never heard a reason. Is it because the rubber's faster/springier? Because the cushion noses are different heights/angles? Would they bank the same if they had the same rubber? It's past time we got to the bottom of...
  20. Patrick Johnson

New 1P.org logo

Nice job. pj chgo P.S. How far behind the times am I? I just noticed it.