Search results

1. J.R.

DCC One Pocket Rules Changes

I was informed by a Diamond representative that the pockets on all the 9 foot Pro-Am tables were 1/4th of an inch tighter. In other words, the pockets were diminished from 4 1/2 inch to 4 1/4 inch. There were not any 4 1/8th inch pockets on the 9 foot Pro-Am tables. I believe the blame is...
  2. J.R.

2023 Break out players

No, I didn't teach Gerson Martinez. It was a couple of other Chicago players who introduced him to the one pocket game. He's a superb ball striker and controls the cue ball like its on a string with a lot of spin. With those attributes it won't take long for a guy like Gerson to play top notch...
  3. J.R.

2023 Break out players

I would consider a break-out player for the discipline of one-pocket this year at the 24th Derby is Gerson Martinez from Peru. He had never played in a one pocket tournament before because he had just been introduced this past year to the intricacies of the game by a couple of Chicago players...
  4. J.R.

For Those Playing in the DCC that are not there yet

I guess I'm in the minority regarding the Derby City Classic converting all the tournament tables to a smaller pocket size by a quarter inch. I embrace it. As "lfigueroa" quoted in Latin, "Aptet aut mori" (adapt or die). I adapted, let those who find fault, die in their complaints and...
  5. J.R.

Happy Birthday Mathew Hilton

Happy Birthday, Matt. 🍾 🎂 🎱 🤡 🍸
  6. J.R.

The Shot After The Break

Once again, I disagree that this is the correct shot in this situation. I believe that the bank shot is the safer option with only one object ball on the table. I have no idea what the make-ability percentage is for either shot. I just know that for my money, in that situation, I'm selecting...
  7. J.R.

The Shot After The Break

I thought it was an "insane cue shot" because it can easily be undercut leaving a cross corner bank for Tony Chohan. In contrast, the bank shot is a much safer play whereby the cue ball will naturally travel downtable.
  8. J.R.

The Shot After The Break

Early this morning on poolactiontv.com's Action Room at the Derby City Classic, Tony Chohan and Joshua Filler were playing a race to 6, no spot, for some stacks. In one of the games, Filler broke the stack and after exchange of several shots, Chohan found himself in the far corner stuck to the...
  9. J.R.

Happy Birthday Catkins!

Happy Birthday, Chris. 🎂 🤡 🎱 🍾🧁
  10. J.R.

Donnie "Waterdog" Edwards

I know the final years of "Waterdog's" life were spent mostly hanging around Chicago's Chris's Billiards. My best, unfortunately not favorable, memories of "Waterdog" were seeing him bedding down for the night under the outside stairs behind the pool room until they put steel bars up to prevent...
  11. J.R.

The Shot After The Break

About twenty years ago I was in a friend's basement hitting balls with the celebrated power one pocket player, Ronnie Allen. He stated that the one area of one-pocket that separates great players from good players is their "kick shot" abilities. In reference to the first shot after the...
  12. J.R.

2023 Break out players

The five named list of "break-out stars" for 2023 are seemingly all under 40 years of age. Has there ever been a 70-year-old or older break-out player? Asking for a friend. 😒
  13. J.R.

Best One Pocket Book?

Now what? That's why God made brown paper bags.
  14. J.R.

New Year's Resolution

My resolution is: I forgot to pick one. No problem. I will copycat off the ones already listed in the posts above this one. I'll check each resolution and find one with merit. #1. Miller-his resolution is to learn how to skateboard. This one is way out there. Miller make sure your accident...
  15. J.R.

Schmidt/ Oscar

John Schmidt ends up 8 games ahead after three days of battle on the blue felt.
  16. J.R.

Ronnie Allen vs JR

Leil "J.R." Gay, who incidentally has a great moniker, played super-solid in his race-to-4 match against legendary Ronnie Allen, winning it convincingly at 4 to 1. In his post match interview with Accu-Stats commentators, Freddy "The Beard" Bentivenga and Tom DiLorenzo, Gay was humble in his...
  17. J.R.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Merry Christmas but I'd rather be playing pool.
  18. J.R.

Canadian Ghost Version #9 - XMAS Edition

I would not take an intentional foul. I would not go two rails and try to kick into the 3-ball. I would thin the three ball and go down table off the back short rail with the cue ball.
  19. J.R.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM WIRTH

Happy Birthday and Happy Holidays, Tom. 🎂 🍾 🎱 🍸🧁
  20. J.R.

Derby Role Call

I'm undecided. If I do attend it would be for the banks only. I have two trips planned. A trip to Bologna, Italy before the DCC and a trip to Puerto Rico immediately after the DCC. The weather forecast (snow and icy Interstates) will probably be the deciding factor if I go for 3 or 4 days...