2023 Break out players

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Is Hennessey an aberration or a possible breakout candidate?
As far as I know, Pinnegar simply caught a gear for a couple of days. I don't believe he's ever gotten to the top of the heap, although I believe he got high in the banks one year. ICBW. He's been around for 20 years or so, so he wouldn't be a breakout even if he has currently climbed to that level.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Every now and then, we get a grinder to get into the money. We had Robert Frost win a tournament last year. Warren won the US Open one year. Even John Schmidt won Derby one year. But usually, it's the same 15 guys.
Yes, and almost every year there is a surprising run by a player not known for their One Pocket prowess or even having a One Pocket interest -- like Earl Strickland or Mike Dechaine -- that reaches the final rounds. Obviously they can shoot pool though, and after all, 1P is a pool game, not just a thinking game.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I would consider a break-out player for the discipline of one-pocket this year at the 24th Derby is Gerson Martinez from Peru. He had never played in a one pocket tournament before because he had just been introduced this past year to the intricacies of the game by a couple of Chicago players. Martinez was undefeated going into the 7th round where he bested Shane VanBoening. In the 8th round he lost to Roland Garcia and in the 9th round he lost the hill-hill game to Efren Reyes who ran 8-and-out.

Additionally, Gerson Martinez finished very high in the banks discipline being undefeated until he lost to Evan Lunda in the 11th round and Fedor Gorst in the 12th round. Oh yeah, he never played the game of banks before either until introduced this past year.

In the final discipline, 9-ball, Gerson Martinez whose forte is rotation games, finished in the 8th round losing to Jason Shaw. In the 7th round he secured a win against fan favorite, Efren Reyes. Martinez's other loss was in the 6th round losing to Roberto Gomez.

Overall, Gerson Martinez finished 11th for Master of the Table.

Who did better overall for Master of the Table? 1. Gorst 2. Chohan 3. Pagulayan 4. Filler 5. Lunda 6. VanBoening 7. Roland Garcia
8. Woodward 9. Reyes and 10. Pinegar (Hennessey)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I would consider a break-out player for the discipline of one-pocket this year at the 24th Derby is Gerson Martinez from Peru. He had never played in a one pocket tournament before because he had just been introduced this past year to the intricacies of the game by a couple of Chicago players. Martinez was undefeated going into the 7th round where he bested Shane VanBoening. In the 8th round he lost to Roland Garcia and in the 9th round he lost the hill-hill game to Efren Reyes who ran 8-and-out.

Additionally, Gerson Martinez finished very high in the banks discipline being undefeated until he lost to Evan Lunda in the 11th round and Fedor Gorst in the 12th round. Oh yeah, he never played the game of banks before either until introduced this past year.

In the final discipline, 9-ball, Gerson Martinez whose forte is rotation games, finished in the 8th round losing to Jason Shaw. In the 7th round he secured a win against fan favorite, Efren Reyes. Martinez's other loss was in the 6th round losing to Roberto Gomez.

Who did better overall for Master of the Table? 1. Gorst 2. Chohan 3. Pagulayan 4. Filler 5. Lunda 6. VanBoening 7. Roland Garcia
Persuasive presentation of facts
i assume you are teaching him….😉
just like freddy taught efren 👍

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

About two years ago I played Manny Chau two sets at Stixx and Stones north of DFW. When we finished Manny asked if I’d play his friend from Peru. Well, let me tell you Gerson gave me a Royal ass whooping. You don’t need to know how to play 1P when your FargoRate is 800 and you never miss a bank or cut shot.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Persuasive presentation of facts
i assume you are teaching him….😉
just like freddy taught efren 👍

No, I didn't teach Gerson Martinez. It was a couple of other Chicago players who introduced him to the one pocket game. He's a superb ball striker and controls the cue ball like its on a string with a lot of spin. With those attributes it won't take long for a guy like Gerson to play top notch one pocket.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
About two years ago I played Manny Chau two sets at Stixx and Stones north of DFW. When we finished Manny asked if I’d play his friend from Peru. Well, let me tell you Gerson gave me a Royal ass whooping. You don’t need to know how to play 1P when your FargoRate is 800 and you never miss a bank or cut shot.
Where is Manny these days? I used to see him here at Big Tyme or Bogies in Houston all the time.

baby huey

Verified Member
For Americns I'd say:
Tyler Styer
Junior National Champ (current can't find his name)
Chris Reinhold (Robinson)

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
No, I didn't teach Gerson Martinez. It was a couple of other Chicago players who introduced him to the one pocket game. He's a superb ball striker and controls the cue ball like its on a string with a lot of spin. With those attributes it won't take long for a guy like Gerson to play top notch one pocket.
Sounds like you got to observe some of Gerson's development, though, which is really cool @J.R.

I got to see something similar happen with Fedor Gorst a few months before he surprised everyone at last year's DCC. He was at The Players Club in St. Louis for a while getting familiar with One Pocket.