What does t rex need to beat the lion ?

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Tony had Alex on day 3. I do not remember the score when the infamous Alex break occurred. A good 30 mins. with Tony waiting and burning himself out practicing, and I said to myself; "oh no".
Then comes back Alex, but a new Alex, not the Alex that just hit the wall, but the energized bunny Alex. Well ok, but it tainted the event for me.
So to this I think the fact Tony went into that day with the obvious plan to throw Alex off by taking smoke breaks at about twice the pace he had the previous 2 days, at one point taking a break after consecutive games, and always taking breaks on games he won. He won like 8-3 games over that stretch. All this happened after Alex had already complained about too many smoke breaks the 1st 2 days, so obviously a shark move by Tony. Alex finally took his own break, got some food to recharge and got his focus back. Good for him, yet another thing he beat Tony at.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tony had Alex on day 3. I do not remember the score when the infamous Alex break occurred. A good 30 mins. with Tony waiting and burning himself out practicing, and I said to myself; "oh no".
Then comes back Alex, but a new Alex, not the Alex that just hit the wall, but the energized bunny Alex. Well ok, but it tainted the event for me.

It was a flash back for me to the Color of Money match between Earl and Efren. Earl had Efren on the ropes with not many games left for Earl to win, Efren was done for, hit the wall, then came the break. Efren walked out with a little Asian old guy, and 15 minutes later appears an Efren that can do no wrong. I felt for Earl!
Whitey
whitey
i know you think efren had "help" in his second wind
but alex now is on a health kick and i would be surprised that he used anything "suspect" for his second wind
jmho
in that facebook link john put up alex talked about the pep talk he got from his friend to get his mind right
in essence to be in the moment and not let tony get in his head

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Shot clock,,, Tony wins even.
The Orcollo/Chohan matches also. I say that, but then again, Alex is very good at adjusting his game as necessary, so he would probably adjust. But the faster pace is natural for Tony, and apparently not for either Alex or Dennis. Just my opinion of course.

baby huey

Verified Member
I have a different take on this match. Look, Alex is a PROFESSIONAL POOL PLAYER. He takes his craft seriously. He practices very hard preparing for this type of match. He STAYS in stroke all the time. It's nothing for him to practice for hours each day. That's not Tony's style and maybe he can't because of his size. I know because I'm a big guy too and it is so difficult to get in stroke and stay in stroke. Tony has the skill to play even with Alex and maybe win BUT he has to do the preparation to make it happen. I agree with all the other opinions expecially fooling with his phone during the match. Leave it in your car. You are in a serious match and nothing should distract you from your work. IMO Tony should devote himself for one year to seriously train and play nothing but pool just to find out what his true skill set could be.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
5) He's pig-headed. Won't switch from what is not working until it's too late. Feels he can out power, out execute, out run what isn't working.. Alex will do whatever it takes to win including reinventing his style if required. But we all love the big man's creativity and gamble. Big props in getting into the ring with someone he was probably a 60/40 dog with that small spot.

My estimate 11-6. Would make Tony a slight favorite. No shame. Except for Dennis O, Fador, Josh F & SVB I figure Alex can give the world that.
11/6 wtf. 11/6....

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Alex is a solid ball over Tony 8/7, a handicap of 10/8 would be a toss-up IMO.

Bill Incardona
I believe the extra ball that Alex needs to go to will be enough to keep Tony interested close to 100% of the time which in turn will put more pressure on Alex and will take some pressure off of Tony. Tony would have a clear advantage getting 9/7 but 10/8 would be a war.

Bill Incardona

unoperro

Verified Member
I believe the extra ball that Alex needs to go to will be enough to keep Tony interested close to 100% of the time which in turn will put more pressure on Alex and will take some pressure off of Tony. Tony would have a clear advantage getting 9/7 but 10/8 would be a war.

Bill Incardona
I know they weren't playing 9/7 but I don't think Tony is a "clear" favorite.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Tony going to seven in comparison to eight is HUGE. I'll lay 3/2 in a race to 36 Tony getting 9/7. Iwould stake Tony if he went to seven to Alex's nine.

Bill Incardona

Absolutely! Huge difference between 10/8 and 9/7. Alex could out run 9/7 in a short race, but no chance if they play long enough. Welcome back Dr Bill.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Absolutely! Huge difference between 10/8 and 9/7. Alex could out run 9/7 in a short race, but no chance if they play long enough. Welcome back Dr Bill.
The last 2 games alex went 11 and out, 9 and out. I don't recall Tony going 8 and out but 1 time, but he possibly did it one or 2 other times.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I don't know if anyone heard Alex answering questions during a live stream, but someone asked if the spot of 9-8 meant anything. Alex said something like this:

"Well, if we played even we would probably only play for $5k because that would be all Tony's backers would bet. So yeah, that 9-8 meant a lot." Yowser

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Tony going to seven in comparison to eight is HUGE. I'll lay 3/2 in a race to 36 Tony getting 9/7. Iwould stake Tony if he went to seven to Alex's nine.

Bill Incardona
IMHO Alex likes the game haggle and knows what giving up the nuts is, but I don't think 9/8 or 10/ 8 makes any difference to him at all on the table after everything is negotiated. In countless games Tony was up 5+ balls and you could just get vibes he was NOT the favorite.

Now I'm not discounting your match up abilities Bill ( legend player and gambler ) and understand One Pocket handicapping nuances but in this one particular case ( Tony vs Alex ) I think traditional rational for ball spots can be a bit of a mirage.

Tony going to 7 will just be a NO from anyone so just kill all that noise lol.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I don't know if anyone heard Alex answering questions during a live stream, but someone asked if the spot of 9-8 meant anything. Alex said something like this:

"Well, if we played even we would probably only play for $5k because that would be all Tony's backers would bet. So yeah, that 9-8 meant a lot." Yowser
Found it interesting Alex mentioned Dennis and his team setting up and backing out 3 times for them to play also.

Kybanks

Verified Member
The last 2 games alex went 11 and out, 9 and out. I don't recall Tony going 8 and out but 1 time, but he possibly did it one or 2 other times.

I didn't get to watch it. If Alex could out run 9/7, he could win a brinks truck.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I don't know about a Brinks truck but I guess he would get some of Cardone's money. 🤑
Yes he could, but lately many people have been doing that. However, there are certain situations when you just have to give them a chance to get into your pocket, 9/7 is one of them. For those who may not know the difference between 9/8 and 9/7 it's 113 variables at last count. Better yet ask the players that experienced spotting a player 9/8 then adjusted to 9/7.

Bill Incardona

Reactions: lll

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Yes he could, but lately many people have been doing that. However, there are certain situations when you just have to give them a chance to get into your pocket, 9/7 is one of them. For those who may not know the difference between 9/8 and 9/7 it's 113 variables at last count. Better yet ask the players that experienced spotting a player 9/8 then adjusted to 9/7.

Bill Incardona
I must have missed the 113 variables lesson. Could you elaborate Dr. If you get a chance?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I must have missed the 113 variables lesson. Could you elaborate Dr. If you get a chance?
It's how many extra things a player at some point will be concerned about with their shot selection, that alone covers mostly all of the variables. Plus there is the extra pressure it puts on the player giving up the spot along with the lessening of pressure one experiences getting the spot. Then there is the psychological effect which at times takes a player away from his game. And also there is the feeling of doubt that enters a player's mind that's generously making such a change in the handicap that at times puts your mindset in the "foolish stage" Yes, these are all variables that will at some point alter a player's way of thinking which in turn will at times affect a player's ability to execute. Pagulayan may be a beast but he's a "human beast"

Bill Incardona

baby huey

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, I don't know if anyone tracked the scores in each game between the two players? But I'd like to know how many 8/7 games occurred between them where Tony lost? Their sample size is sufficient to gauge their respective speeds such that if Alex say won three games in their match 8/7 then Tony getting that weight would have won out. Those games would represent a two game swing wouldn't it?

Reactions: lll