WWYD - Canadian Ghost Version #3

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Man how many of these do I have to do before Bruce takes back his throne.

Well same players Nick B and John from Oregon. He's now down 6 games (has not lost all 6 that's just the aggregate-we traded a few games). Further adjustment.

Same stakes ($50US/Game) Nick 10 - John 7. Thus I owe 1 and go to 9. John makes a great long bank and sticks me here:

He needs 2 balls John 5 - NB 3 Special note for those who pay attention. I play left handed (natural righty) and yes the rest of her is just as nice as the bottom.
1665364479936.png

From my pocket:
The 10-13 are wired AND 14-11 are pointed perfectly to the bottom half of 10 (UGH). I have ZERO air on the 3
1665364658186.png

1665364798789.png

From John's Pocket:
1665364886982.png

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yessir, a rock and a hard place. Kick off the nearest long rail and go straight across and leave him on the opposite long rail. Good luck!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Take the temperature, Nick. Leave it up longer if interest and discussion is good. If it just doesn't work, give it only a couple of days and button it up and post another.

P.S. Thanks for your efforts to keep this little group engaged. I don't know what is going on with Facebook - maybe some of them will turn up here when there is action. We must hope. Be our ghost. (y) (y)

Reactions: lll

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
You can kick the cue ball 5 rails behind that 3 ball cluster by loading up the reverse (left) hitting the long rail, long rail and around the table.

On second thought, I'm not sure if you can aim up table enough to make all that happen. I do like the Pilot's idea

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
You can kick the cue ball 5 rails behind that 3 ball cluster by loading up the reverse (left) hitting the long rail, long rail and around the table.

On second thought, I'm not sure if you can aim up table enough to make all that happen. I do like the Pilot's idea
I looked at that. Two problems. These tables are well worn and have very little slide. You can't see enough up the rail to make it feasible.

1665379825057.png

OldSchool

Verified Member
To start off with you just touch the cueball and take a scratch - especially when you are playing an inexperienced guy who plays 3-4 balls under you, as is the case here.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Jim Pilot posted, in essence but not verbatim, if they're (cue ball and 3-ball) frozen, shoot thru the 3-ball with right spin to put the cue ball under the 13-ball.

Vapros inquired, "Jim, how would you aim that shot - 45 degrees off the tangent line?"

In response, since the 10-ball and 13-ball appear to be frozen or nearly frozen to each other and are pointed directly at my opponent's pocket for an easy no-brainer shot nearly anywhere on the table except behind the three striped cluster of balls nearest my opponent's pocket, it seems that my best option would be Jim Pilot's shot selection which is to shoot the cue ball thru the 3-ball with right spin and put the cue ball next to or under the 13-ball.

Vapros, in turn, inquired how would he (Jim) aim that shot? Would you (Jim) shoot it 45 degrees off the tangent line?

I am not aware of any mathematical formula for shooting a frozen cue ball to strike a particular target - in this case less than 4 feet to the long rail with right spin. Consequently, I set this shot up on my table. I positioned the balls as set up on the table. I jacked up my cue stick to approximately 30 degrees and shot the cue ball with a controlled firm stroke thru approximately 3/5ths of the 3-ball with right spin. I found after striking the cue ball, that it had a right curve (similar to a masse) to it as it approached the long rail, and upon striking the long rail, the right spin caused the cue ball to go behind the cluster of three balls nearest my opponent's pocket.

The table lay out was a seemingly very tough position to be in, nevertheless it was somewhat easy to get out of if you knew how to shoot the shot as it presented itself. That's what is great about these WWYD posts. You learn shots. The Latin aphorism is so true in pool and billiards, "scientia potentia est." Transcribed in English as "knowledge is power."

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
If I remember correctly our Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave have a 10X fuller video about shooting thru a frozen ball.

As for this shot , drag out the bridge and kick foot rail long rail head rail long rail and back down in front of opponents pocket.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm definitely kicking this cb twice long rail towards my opponent's pockets. I'm left handed so its easy to reach. I'm also gonna aim a little short and try to nudge that wired combo.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like the 5 rail kick too but I would use the short rail first with left english.
Foot rail, far side rail, (above the side pocket), top rail, (near side rail approx. the third diamond), and hopefully short to the far side rail, then to the foot rail behind the dead combo. On a diamond table it may actually come up short enough the bump the combo disrupting it and avoid the intentional foul.
This is a clear and predictable path which leads to a great outcome if.....
There is a definite scratch possibility but I believe it to be the best of all the poor options.

Tom

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
5 or 6 rail kick to your long rail with LHE, it goes 3 rails around to their long rail and settle on bottom rail behind 13.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I like the 5 rail kick too but I would use the short rail first with left english.
Foot rail, far side rail, (above the side pocket), top rail, (near side rail approx. the third diamond), and hopefully short to the far side rail, then to the foot rail behind the dead combo. On a diamond table it may actually come up short enough the bump the combo disrupting it and avoid the intentional foul.
This is a clear and predictable path which leads to a great outcome if.....
There is a definite scratch possibility but I believe it to be the best of all the poor options.

Tom
like this ????
toms shot.png