9 ball one pocket

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Who has played 9 ball one pocket? Tell me about it. It might be a good mini tournament to warm people up.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have not heard of it before, but I sure will try it! When Hank was breaking into OP I suggested that he could rack a 6 ball rack, especially since he plays generally on 8 ft tables. But that broke ok, and I am interested in trying the 9 ball rack break!

BR, I have come up with a 7-ball standard or long side - bank game. a 7-ball rack breaks fantastic. But the long side bank game is where each opponent has one long side of the table to bank into to. This game naturally creates multiple rail banks and would be excellent for playing by the rail count also. It also helps develop banking for the game of OP.
I can imagine a couple of grand master bank players matching up their banking skills in this game. A couple players come to mind is Busty and Tony. Playing by the game or by the rail.

Another use for your 9-ball OP game is for pool rooms and games of pool that attract customers. 9-ball OP would be an excellent introductory game to get non-OP players to try the game. Pool room by the hour is not conducive for OP, at least for those trying to get their feet wet in learning the game. Very hard to compete with 8-ball or 9-ball for they are quicker, thus more games per hour.

Also your 9-ball OP just might turn into a spectator friendly challenge match up ppv. Maybe a stretch or not!

thanks, Whitey

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I have not heard of it before, but I sure will try it! When Hank was breaking into OP I suggested that he could rack a 6 ball rack, especially since he plays generally on 8 ft tables. But that broke ok, and I am interested in trying the 9 ball rack break!

BR, I have come up with a 7-ball standard or long side - bank game. a 7-ball rack breaks fantastic. But the long side bank game is where each opponent has one long side of the table to bank into to. This game naturally creates multiple rail banks and would be excellent for playing by the rail count also. It also helps develop banking for the game of OP.
I can imagine a couple of grand master bank players matching up their banking skills in this game. A couple players come to mind is Busty and Tony. Playing by the game or by the rail.

Another use for your 9-ball OP game is for pool rooms and games of pool that attract customers. 9-ball OP would be an excellent introductory game to get non-OP players to try the game. Pool room by the hour is not conducive for OP, at least for those trying to get their feet wet in learning the game. Very hard to compete with 8-ball or 9-ball for they are quicker, thus more games per hour.

Also your 9-ball OP just might turn into a spectator friendly challenge match up ppv. Maybe a stretch or not!

thanks, Whitey
I'm talking Buffalo into a weekly race to 2 nine ball one pocket tournament. I'm sure I'll have to put some money up, but he usually goes for stuff like this. I'll keep you apprised.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'm talking Buffalo into a weekly race to 2 nine ball one pocket tournament. I'm sure I'll have to put some money up, but he usually goes for stuff like this. I'll keep you apprised.
We use to have a 9-ball race to 2 in my small town, and it was popular. By doing a race to 2 it gives the lesser skilled players a better chance. Plus some players like to get into a tournament with the notion of win or get out, meaning they do not want to be stuck in a tournament that drags on and on. There is also a better chance of having a different winner from week to week.
When our tournament went to a race to 3 it was not nearly as popular, plus way more advantage for a more skilled player.

Excellent idea for a tournament!
Whitey

Skin

Verified Member
Who has played 9 ball one pocket? Tell me about it. It might be a good mini tournament to warm people up.
A good game is 7 ball 1p. Fast and furious.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member

thanks, Whitey
We'll give it a try. See how long it takes. I want to use it for a weekly tournament so it doesn't last so long. Like you said, it could become a quicker, spectator friendly version.

Reactions: lll

Skin

Verified Member
how do you rack 7 ball?

Head ball is the one. Or you can turn the rack sideways with a ghost ball or the center ball on the spot.
7 ball rack.jpg
However, back when the early 1p.org crew was posting here, somebody said during a discussion of short rack to rack them like 6 ball with the 7th ball behind the middle ball in the third row. Anyway, we local one pocketeers experimented with the game some years ago and generally liked it. Unfortunately, those guys hardly come out anymore, and most folks now are league players who aren't interested, so not much 1p of any kind gets played around here. Sad!

Last edited:

Renegade_56

Verified Member
It's funny that a forum devoted to the promoting of such a great game with it's integrity and uniqueness as one pocket would constantly try so hard to come up with variations to get people playing something else. This reminds me of about 30 years ago when cable tv was trying their damndest to modify 9 ball to the point their advertisers were satisfied with the amount of airtime they got between the Texas Express highlites.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
3 ball, and 6 ball are fun and faster than 9 ball, and nothing goes on the break.
Tobermory, I once played a man some 3 ball one pocket about 15 - 20 years ago at Banana's in San Antonio.

Winner breaks. I won 9 games in a row for $50. He told me, "You can't beat me like this, I invented this game".

Rodney (Androd) knows the man I am talking about. I don't know if he is still with us or not. Too many of the old timers are

leaving us.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tobermory, I once played a man some 3 ball one pocket about 15 - 20 years ago at Banana's in San Antonio.

Winner breaks. I won 9 games in a row for $50. He told me, "You can't beat me like this, I invented this game".

Rodney (Androd) knows the man I am talking about. I don't know if he is still with us or not. Too many of the old timers are

leaving us.
if 3 ball onepocket starts with 3 balls in line from the spot its a great end game to practice
jmho

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Last edited: