Wwyd you need them both.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I don't see what you guys see, that 4 ball looks to me like it just cuts in the corner no problem, so I set it up as per the positions listed in the post and just shot the 4 straight in, I'm betting you guys can do it too.

No. The original poster said it don't go, so it DON'T GO. ..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cT5EKe1dH2J3cbaK6 this shot turned out to be such a beautiful way to play this scenario, so I decided to go ahead and video it, and post it for your enjoyment!
I had to shrink my table to try and emulate the position of the balls as they would be on a 9' table. Not so easy from one photo.
So the exact results could vary. I just used a center cue ball hit, letting it gently roll.
Whitey
P.S. I reset the cb more accurately, which gave it a steeper angle going into it, I then also had to slightly adjust the 4 and 5 so I could not make the 4 straight in. I also made sure the 4 was just a little over a chalk width off the rail.
I had the same results, only difference was the cb ran a little more. So I am pretty close on the video.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cT5EKe1dH2J3cbaK6 this shot turned out to be such a beautiful way to play this scenario, so I decided to go ahead and video it, and post it for your enjoyment!
I had to shrink my table to try and emulate the position of the balls as they would be on a 9' table. Not so easy from one photo.
So the exact results could vary. I just used a center cue ball hit, letting it gently roll.
Whitey
Excellent video ! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us .

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whitey
the first time i tried the shot i made it with results similar to yours whitey
problem was the next few times was a mixed bag where sometimes i did sell out a bank especially if i hit it alittle too hard
hitting it soft as billy jackets first mentioned the 5 and cue ball drift to the short rail
which will block a bank on the 4 if it leaks out aut most times the 5 was too low to bank if you didnt make the 4
nice shooting whitey
thanks for the video
unoperro
is that how you hit it when it came up?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Larry,
I'll step in here, not to cut off unopero's reply, but to add my finding.
I only got into trouble by contacting the rail to early, for this added speed to the cb and the 5, of which can lead to a sell out.
Plus the 4 ball gets contacted to thin to make it.

Nice input Larry!
Whitey

Renegade_56

Verified Member
No. The original poster said it don't go, so it DON'T GO. ..
He should have said "pretend it don't go" then, instead of stating ball positions and a supporting photo that clearly shows it will go.
Look I get it, what else might you do if you didn't trust yourself to shoot straight in, I just have a problem pretending I shot safe on a ball I pretended I couldn't make.
I have been sick lately, but no meds required to see this one.

unoperro

Verified Member
He should have said "pretend it don't go" then, instead of stating ball positions and a supporting photo that clearly shows it will go.
Look I get it, what else might you do if you didn't trust yourself to shoot straight in, I just have a problem pretending I shot safe on a ball I pretended I couldn't make.
I have been sick lately, but no meds required to see this one.
Look at the line posted by someone
A. Not accurate they cut the ball into the rail and on this table that ball will never pocket.
B. Attemps to show the middle of the ball , there is plenty of room for that,not so much for the outer edge.
C. If you have the cueball too far out yes the shot is very simple.

I do hope you get to feeling better soon .

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Whitey if the 4 bobbled and hangs is there a good bank on that 5 ?

Not to discredit the shot but that would be my main concern.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey if the 4 bobbled and hangs is there a good bank on that 5 ?

Not to discredit the shot but that would be my main concern.
No there is not, because that means the 5 carries closer to the foot rail.
But, if the 5 hits the 4 to thin to even bobble it, then most likely the cb and 5 will run on you and sell out a direct shot into the opponent's hole.
So, play to come off the rail close to the 5, as Billy Jacket suggested.
Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
unoperro
what did you shoot?
Well honestly I was playing 14.1 on this tight table and missed the 4. I hit it a little thin and it doubled the points and ended up there. With the thin hit my cueball over ran position for a good breakshot.

I had played 2 hours of 1 pocket just before this so it was fresh on my mind.

I did a soft kick off the end rail and left a fair back cut bank on the 4 with the advantage of clearing the 5.
A better safety for 14.1 then 1 pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the reply honestly I was playing 14.1 on this tight table and missed the 4. I hit it a little thin and it doubled the points and ended up there. With the thin hit my cueball over ran position for a good breakshot.

I had played 2 hours of 1 pocket just before this so it was fresh on my mind.

I did a soft kick off the end rail and left a fair back cut bank on the 4 with the advantage of clearing the 5.
A better safety for 14.1 then 1 pocket.
Thanks for the reply

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just wanted to recognize that for those of you members that stated they would double cross corner bank the 5, I worked on that shot, and yes, it is there and a viable shot w/ the cb ending up on the head rail.
Whitey

• Love
Reactions: lll