Doing Commentary on Live Stream Pool Matches

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Since I can‘t play anymore, I get my pool fix by doing commentary at tournaments that are streamed live. Hard Times, Sacramento had a nice $1,500 added one pocket tournament this weekend, and I went down Sunday and ended up in the booth. Most of these players are old friends and competitors I have known for years and played many times. As I was commentating on the matches, I found I was overly critical of many of their shot selections. As I was thinking it over this morning, I figured out why. I have been doing commentary for poolactiontv and watching the best players in the world for the last 2/3 months. Its not fair for me to compare very good local players against the best players in the world. I apologize to my old friends and will try and bite my tongue from now on. They all know how hard that will be for me lol.

baby huey

Verified Member
That's a good point you're making John. It's hard to speak to a diverse skills set group of players listening to commentary. It has to appeal to all who listen. Let's just change your name to Vin Scully and you should do just fine.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I watched some yesterday. You always entertain and I always enjoy your commentary. A good commentator is entertaining and likeable which you are both. I wouldn't attempt to tone it down for weaker players. You are just being you telling it like it is and thats what makes you fun to listen too.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Since I can‘t play anymore, I get my pool fix by doing commentary at tournaments that are streamed live. Hard Times, Sacramento had a nice $1,500 added one pocket tournament this weekend, and I went down Sunday and ended up in the booth. Most of these players are old friends and competitors I have known for years and played many times. As I was commentating on the matches, I found I was overly critical of many of their shot selections. As I was thinking it over this morning, I figured out why. I have been doing commentary for poolactiontv and watching the best players in the world for the last 2/3 months. Its not fair for me to compare very good local players against the best players in the world. I apologize to my old friends and will try and bite my tongue from now on. They all know how hard that will be for me lol.
You have to tell it like it is. The best shot will always be the best shot, if it is not in their repertoire, they are forced to shoot an inferior shot, no shame in that, we are not all equal. Sometimes the inferior shot is not much less than the best, and is more repeatable, to showboat and make the difficult shot 1 out of 5 and you could have made the lesser shot 4 or 5 out of 5, will still appeal to some players. All of those guys have lived on someone else's couch for at least a decade.