Beat by list

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Dcc

Dcc

Billy,

I plan on going to the derby tournament.
I think I should be in stroke by then. We can play there.

Bill Stroud

I should also be there and don't know about being in stroke, it comes and goes at our age, but I will play some too.

bstroud

Verified Member
John,

It doesn't seem to come and go for me.

I really don't feel any different than I did at 20.

Bill Stroud

Maxwell

Verified Member
Know em well

Know em well

Freddy,

I see a couple of my buddies from the NW made the list. Rich Geiler and Bill Cress. No Dan Louie? He certainly wasn't a road player, but neither was RIchie though, right?

Can you tell me a story in regards to anything you remember about Bill Cress and Rich Geiler?

Also a guy that hung around a lot with Bill and even went on the road I think with Cole, was Mike Zimmerman. You ever have any run ins with him? Or know him? he was a helluva player too.

Kudo's to you offering up a "been beaten by" list. Bill S's is only what.. 4 long?:D

I know all the guys in your post but only lost money to four. The rest I haven't played. They all made the pilgrimage to Sacramento when Wayne Iseri owned what is now Hardtimes due to his willingness to entertain anyone with cash. Zimmerman gave me the spot I asked for, without comment, then beat me so fast he sacred me for life. Bill Cress gave me action too with predictable results but also tought me a lot about pool. A great teacher. The Hartimes owners are great but the flow of road agents has dried up since Wayne left.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I know all the guys in your post but only lost money to four. The rest I haven't played. They all made the pilgrimage to Sacramento when Wayne Iseri owned what is now Hardtimes due to his willingness to entertain anyone with cash. Zimmerman gave me the spot I asked for, without comment, then beat me so fast he sacred me for life. Bill Cress gave me action too with predictable results but also tought me a lot about pool. A great teacher. The Hartimes owners are great but the flow of road agents has dried up since Wayne left.

I knew Wayne (the midge) He was originally from San Jose, and a good friend. After I retired, and started playing again, I used to visit my son, Bill, and the grand kids several times a year, he lived in Placerville, near Sac.

Midge always managed to find someone for me to play..I always called and told him I was coming...Sometimes he wanted in with me, sometimes the other guy...Either way, it was good, solid, friendly (pretty high $$$) action...Great times !.:)
My wife used to wonder why we visited Bill so much, when my two other sons, and a daughter, (with kids too) lived in San Jose...:p...She soon figured out why, and then we would be obliged to visit SJ first..

Wayne loved action, and really promoted it...But I think Mike Markulis (sp) and Tom Suarez, have kept the tradition alive...They also sponsor some great tournaments, on a very regular basis.

PS..Maxwell, in case you haven't noticed, there are very few "road agents" anywhere now !...jes' sayin'...:cool

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Bill spent the early years around Chicago and Wisconsin. Nice guy, lot of fun, but had problems with substances. Rich Geiler I used to run into at different tournaments. Dan Louie and I are pals, but we never played. He only played 9 ball back then. And he only played for $10 a game, and couldnt nobody hardly beat him.

Mike Zimmerman, I have heard the name, but I am sure we never played and I cant place him.

Beard

Zimmerman grew up with Cole Dickson and they were on the road together as teenagers. Very good mechanics and looked good at the table, but didn't have Cole's killer instinct. He was one of the members of the corporation in Seattle that Harry played for years.

I played him 9 ball and one pocket at the Palace in San Francisco in the 90's with Bill Cress in attendance. He didn't like either game.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John,

It doesn't seem to come and go for me.

I really don't feel any different than I did at 20.

Bill Stroud

You are lucky then, but you have to mix it up with someone firing back at you to see how you stand up.

If you still play like when you were 20, I would be an underdog because you were a better player than I was, but I have been in quite a bit of action the last three years and think that might be an equalizer.

I would play some at The Derby if you would like to.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Zimmerman grew up with Cole Dickson and they were on the road together as teenagers. Very good mechanics and looked good at the table, but didn't have Cole's killer instinct. He was one of the members of the corporation in Seattle that Harry played for years.

I played him 9 ball and one pocket at the Palace in San Francisco in the 90's with Bill Cress in attendance. He didn't like either game.

Mike and Cole, lived in Fremont (about 20 mi. from SJ) and made regular visits to San Jose, which were not very profitable for them...Thank God I moved to Texas, before Cole really hit his stride at 9 ball. He never took to one pocket, early on.. But, he finally got to where it took a player to beat him.

By the way John, I think you are up against the nuts, playing Mr. Stroud, at DCC...Billy has his new Diamond table to practice on, and unlike us, he will practice until his arms fall off...Soooo, I must limit myself, to taking only 40% of your action this time...:frus...:sorry

SuperDuck<---Can't play any more, but he can still woof (or quack)...with the best of em'...:cool:

PS..May I suggest, race to 7, for a few K's ?..:p

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy,

I plan on going to the derby tournament.
I think I should be in stroke by then. We can play there.

Bill Stroud

Wow, I assumed you are in stroke running 8"s and 10"s, and sometimes a 12.:eek: If you feel that you'll be playing better maybe I should just mail you what you figure to win. But i'll take my chances at the Derby, you got action.
I hope that i'll be healthy enough to play, i'm 90% sure I will.

Thanks for the action.

Billy I.

bstroud

Verified Member
You are lucky then, but you have to mix it up with someone firing back at you to see how you stand up.

If you still play like when you were 20, I would be an underdog because you were a better player than I was, but I have been in quite a bit of action the last three years and think that might be an equalizer.

I would play some at The Derby if you would like to.

John,

I am thinking about coming to SF in November. Perhaps we can play then.

Dick is right. I am playing at least 6 hours a day and that will increase to 8 hours or more soon. I want to play better than I did when I was younger.

My pool playing career was cut short just as I was getting to be a really good player by my going to work. I don't need to work ever again so I can devote full time to playing pool.

I am already playing well. Running balls well but until I get where I never miss a ball I will not feel I am in dead stroke. It's just the way I look at it.

This new table is giving me fits. I have yet to run 100 balls but I am finally getting close. On the plus side if a ball is not buried in the pocket you can remove it. It banks a little different than a gold crown but is pretty close. The main thing is the 4" pockets. If you don't give every shot 100% you will hang a ball. Makes you concentrate all the time.

Bill Stroud

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John,

I am thinking about coming to SF in November. Perhaps we can play then.

Dick is right. I am playing at least 6 hours a day and that will increase to 8 hours or more soon. I want to play better than I did when I was younger.

My pool playing career was cut short just as I was getting to be a really good player by my going to work. I don't need to work ever again so I can devote full time to playing pool.

I am already playing well. Running balls well but until I get where I never miss a ball I will not feel I am in dead stroke. It's just the way I look at it.

This new table is giving me fits. I have yet to run 100 balls but I am finally getting close. On the plus side if a ball is not buried in the pocket you can remove it. It banks a little different than a gold crown but is pretty close. The main thing is the 4" pockets. If you don't give every shot 100% you will hang a ball. Makes you concentrate all the time.

Bill Stroud

The only room I know of to play at in San Francisco anymore is Delbert Wong's Family Billiards on Geary. Old Gold Crowns in good shape with 4" pockets. Lots of traffic between tables and hard to gamble there.

The best place in the Bay area is where Howard plays, The California Billiard Club in Mountain View. Gold Crowns with 4" pockets, always in good shape and a special tournament section with lots of space in between tables. Action friendly owners, good food and reasonable rooms within walking distance. I go down every couple months or so because they have some golf action on a 6 x 12.

I live in the foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe and play at Hard Times Sacramento. Great room with private tournament section with Gold Crowns and 4" pockets.

I do not know of any Diamonds in the Bay area (one table in Emeryville) but there may be some. There is a place in Sac with Diamonds but I have never played there. I do not object to playing on Diamonds but the only time I do play on them is at The Derby or a tournament somewhere that has them.

Let me know if you are coming and we will try and hook up.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
My beat by list would be way too long lol.

But I will say my worst beating that I will always remember was by Chris Bartram. It was at the derby (1st or 2nd year they had it) and I got knocked out of the one pocket losing to Troy Frank and someone else. Chris had an action table so we played some $100 a game and I lose 10 straight before I quit. I think it started me getting 8/7 then 9/7 (maybe we moved to 10/7), but I couldn't have won any of those games. This was when he was just starting to play one pocket pretty good and he eventually got real good.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Freddie, I thought Harry the Horse was Harry Aproff of Detroit sometimes called Horse Face Harry. Also, don't tell me you beat Harry Sexton at 9 ball.
I played Poochie once, I had him 4 to 3 in a race to nine and the best shot I got after that was a 3 rail kick with nowhere for the ball to go. I had to shoot into the head rail which I was almost frozen on and go off the side rail and end rail through traffic, to hit the one ball in a cluster of balls, I did hit it, and he said good shot. Which was all he said to me in my whole life. The next day he had Nick Varner 4 to nothing and Nick put the clamps on and Harry lost 9 to 7 I think.