who were/are your one pocket heroes?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
During the, 60's, 70's Shorty and Ingy were the Best all around (Straight pool, Nine ball, 1 hole and 3C) players in Boston.

You also had Paul Melinchuk and Charlie DeValier, the latter not as good.

Played them All, 3C. In order, Charlie, Paul and Bob at, Olympic (The Mines) Billiards in the, 'Red Light' district. Played Shorty the first time at, McGirrs in 70. He gave me 3 on 25, we broke even.

A few years later, I went back to the, 'Boston' area, Dorchester. There was an All Night bowling/billiards room with two 3C tables. First time I ever saw, 'Candle Pin' bowling.
Exactly!! In fact, after I got to know Ingie, I would pick him up at one of those bowling alley's that was near his house, and bring him to World Class in Saugus where we would play. I did play Melnichuck too, before he moved to Vegas. This was all after the Mines was gone.

I read somewhere in an interview with Shorty, when he was asked how he got to be such a great player, he credited Ingie! Ingie was actually a little bit older than Shorty.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
my dad introduced me to pool, but I'm not sure he was 'hip to 1p..
efren was/is another pool hero, and I credit him as much as anybody for inspiring me to give 1p a try
I also feel compelled to shout out the gang at accu-stats
even before I knew anything about the game (which wasn't that long ago)
I'd listen to commentators like billy and danny and be wowed by their knowledge..still am!
Alex Lely

chief1

Exactly!! In fact, after I got to know Ingie, I would pick him up at one of those bowling alley's that was near his house, and bring him to World Class in Saugus where we would play. I did play Melnichuck too, before he moved to Vegas. This was all after the Mines was gone.

I read somewhere in an interview with Shorty, when he was asked how he got to be such a great player, he credited Ingie! Ingie was actually a little bit older than Shorty.
I remember Bob Ingersol playing almost every day at the Town Line bowling alley. I also played at the bowling alley in Dorchester which was right off the freeway. I believe around the early 90s World Class was the place for 3 cushions, I played in a couple of tournaments there but there was hardly any one pocket played anywhere around that area.

evergruven

Verified Member
Alex is a very good player and a great gentleman. He commentated a match between Filler and Chohan in Roy's basement, and he did an excellent job, as always.

thanks, and for the link! look forward to checking it out-

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
Billy Incardona and Grady Matthews behind the Accu-Stats microphones were my 1P heroes. I learned more about the game from them than any other individuals by watching those videos over and over. My biggest jump in knowledge came when I was fortunate enough to play five straight four hour sessions with Buddy. He gave me 10-6 which was probably two balls short of what I really needed at the. time but we played cheap and he explained a lot along the way. I think at the end of the week I was around 800 loser and it was the best money I ever spent on one pocket.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would have to say Leil Gay probably had more to do with my increasing love of 1P than anyone else.
Leil was always undercover, I was there when he won the US Open 1 pocket tournament, and he was still trying to sneak up on people, lol.
He had his faults, but I always liked the guy.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I remember Bob Ingersol playing almost every day at the Town Line bowling alley. I also played at the bowling alley in Dorchester which was right off the freeway. I believe around the early 90s World Class was the place for 3 cushions, I played in a couple of tournaments there but there was hardly any one pocket played anywhere around that area.
Yes indeed -- Bobby Pag's World Class Billiards. Those players that are still with us now can be found at Mazin Shooni's room in Malden, including Pags.

You and I must have crossed paths too

chief1

Yes indeed -- Bobby Pag's World Class Billiards. Those players that are still with us now can be found at Mazin Shooni's room in Malden, including Pags.

You and I must have crossed paths too
Steve, I was at the pool room in Brighton the night you had the ceremony for Shorty when you and Grady were there. I used to play at bowl haven in Somerville but played at all the rooms in the area both pool and 3 cushion. Do you remember Good Times at Assembly Square?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve, I was at the pool room in Brighton the night you had the ceremony for Shorty when you and Grady were there. I used to play at bowl haven in Somerville but played at all the rooms in the area both pool and 3 cushion. Do you remember Good Times at Assembly Square?
Great! I'm not sure about Good Times. I mostly made the rounds to Brighton, World Class, Country Club and Breakers in the early 90's when I was first playing One Pocket.

chief1

Great! I'm not sure about Good Times. I mostly made the rounds to Brighton, World Class, Country Club and Breakers in the early 90's when I was first playing One Pocket.
Steve, Good Times has about 90 tables., including about 20 bar tables and 2 billiard tables. There was a weekly 3 cushion tournament, both Shorty and Paul Melnichuk were there daily. Besides tournaments and occasional match up, there was hardly never any action in the Boston area ever.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Leil was always undercover, I was there when he won the US Open 1 pocket tournament, and he was still trying to sneak up on people, lol.
He had his faults, but I always liked the guy.
He came to a small bar table tournament is SouthWest Missouri in the late 90s undercover. It was like Ahhnold's Kindergarten Cop. Went for $20 in the Calcutta. Oh, yeah, just remembered: Dee Atkins was with him.

Last edited:

TinyFred

I’ve been lucky to spend a lot of time is some great pool halls around the country, and come across some great players. From my time in SC at the old Sports Palace there were many great One Pocket players from SC and visitors around the region.

However when I lived in NJ I frequent Cue Bridge in Hamilton NJ (later changed name). There is where I met one of the best One Pocket players I’ve ever seen. Pete Deflesco (RIP) was one of those great characters you meet in the room that lures you into playing a game, and you enjoyed the whooping while paying your dues. A shark gobbling up fresh fish and many other sharks. An amazing player regardless of the game agreed to play, but his favorite was One Pocket or One Ball.

I came to know Pete very well to where I would drive him around NJ/PA to pick up games, which I would have the pleasure to sit back and watch a master at the game. A One Pocket hero I would definitely give him that title. I think if he had that desire to move from shark to pro he would be one of the greats remembered.
He was also a regular player for us little fish in APA and TAP leagues. That’s the social environment he seemed to very much enjoyed. Here’s a pic, the only white haired guy in the pic. :)

Attachments

• C4DBBA42-14BC-45E5-A376-1ECFF9665553.jpeg
    C4DBBA42-14BC-45E5-A376-1ECFF9665553.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 19