Analytics in One Pocket

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
We're into semantics here. I think analytics are at work in the thought processes of all experienced players - not just the very best players. You could call it by another name, or not name it at all, but you are doing it as you survey the table and select a shot. And we certainly don't always select the one we know is best - a painful, but common, practice. Analytics are held in abeyance while I take this flyer. It might work! :D

baby huey

Verified Member
I think certain matchups do not include analytical thinking. Some players ball strike so well that they just overcome everything thrown at them. The "Big One" with T-Rex and Robo Cop comes to mind. Tony definitely utilizes "Anayytics" in his play. That was clear in that match and he barely squeaked it out. Dennis runs balls so well that almost anything thrown at him didn't matter.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I like this!

If I make the shot I win 10% of the time.

If I miss, I win 2% of the time.

I'm playin' for $20, so if I make it, I win $2 ($20 one time out of 10.) If I miss , I win $.40 ($20 one time out of 50) I'm obviously $1.60 better off to shoot, but the good news is, I win either way.

The math is easy if you play cheap enough.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I was playing with an old friend who still shoots straight and he is picking up one pocket. I reminded him of the old film, Days of Thunder. I told him to play the way he likes to play, then play the way I tell him to play. It was like a light that went off. He said, "I won the game, but never had to come with a tough shot." And he started listening. I don't know if we call it analytics or not, but there is a right way to play the game for each player. Dennis has a much bigger range than we do. But even he turns down shots when the risk is too high.

baby huey

Verified Member
I also think analytics can be used in the match up either ball spot or money spots. All kidding aside , I started this thread because in One Pocket we are all aware of the manner with which we play the game against different opponents.