The strength of the, 'Straight follow-thru stroke.'

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This video is from a few years ago, demonstrating the ability and strength of having a, 'Straight follow-thru,' especially when the CB is stuck on the rail, straight in and with distance. The less wrist that's applied in these situations, the more accurate you can be.

BTW, it was, 'two takes.'

andyk

From
Tucson, Az
Great shot and great stroke! Every time I’m struggling at the table, especially on these shots, it’s back to basics: stance, stroke, stay down etc.

Reactions: lll

dmcparland

This video is from a few years ago, demonstrating the ability and strength of having a, 'Straight follow-thru,' especially when the CB is stuck on the rail, straight in and with distance. The less wrist that's applied in these situations, the more accurate you can be.

BTW, it was, 'two takes.'

I love how there is the second shot from behind that shows the wrist action. I struggle with accuracy on my follow thru and this gives me something new to practice.

Does the less wrist = more accuracy also apply when you add sidespin with the follow?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I love how there is the second shot from behind that shows the wrist action. I struggle with accuracy on my follow thru and this gives me something new to practice.

Does the less wrist = more accuracy also apply when you add sidespin with the follow?
dm; it's all relative to the distance from CB to OB and if you want, more/less follow or more/less spin.

In general, the normal, 'opening & closing' of the hand around the cue during the run-up strokes will do for most shots involving any, 'horizontal' effect.

From my Book/DVD, "The Concise Book of Position Play."

The players that use more of their wrists give more rotation to the cue as it is swung back and forth. You may want to use a finger grip when applying maximum effect to the cue ball, (the cue ball maintains spin on 3 or more cushions.) For most shots in 3 cushion billiards, (especially short-angle shots), you want to use as little wrist action as possible, for better control of the cue ball, and a consistent hit on the first ball or cushion.

Just at the point before contacting the cue ball, the player will have better rhythm and timing in their delivery of their cue. It's at that split second when the wrist breaks, just before contacting the cue ball, Photo12. This is the main reason why some players are able to create more effect on the cue ball than other players; fortunately, I've been one of those players that possesses this attribute.

The simple move​

The last element of a proper grip is the simplest. Most average players are looking for some magical move to make just before they strike the cue ball, well; I'm here to tell you, there isn't one. It's the simple opening of the hand on the cue when swinging the cue back, Photo13, and when the cue swings forward closing the hand around the cue with all fingers, Photo14. Also the middle knuckles on the cue hand, should be pointing to the floor. This along with the arm and the elbow in the correct position when addressing the cue ball will give the player a more consistent effect on the cue ball.

These are the elements that are more applied in 3C that make it the most difficult cue game at the Top level. Each individual shot has it's own, 'nuances!'TCBPPFundamentalsphotos27.jpgTCBPPFundamentalsphotos28.jpg

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos26.jpg

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Many great Mexican players used a piece of chaulk in their stroking hand held by the small and ring fingers. This may have acheived something similiar to Mr. 3C. If you think about the nerve innervation occurs through the thumb and index finger which is mostly where we get the touch needed as in stroking a beautiful breast.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Many great Mexican players used a piece of chaulk in their stroking hand held by the small and ring fingers. This may have acheived something similiar to Mr. 3C. If you think about the nerve innervation occurs through the thumb and index finger which is mostly where we get the touch needed as in stroking a beautiful breast.
Jerry, very interesting about the chalk! I've played many Mexican 3C players as well as pool, I've always seen them have the chalk in their, 'bridge hand,' not grip. But, now, that I think about it, that could be a good idea, just like playing with a butt that is shaped in the fashion of the, 'Octagon' handle of a cue. Flat sided to reduce rotation of the cue, Frederic Caudron has been playing with this for several years.

beatle

Verified Member
a good start is to see where any of your parts of body are tight and not loose and springy. and address them.
your wrist and arm being off just a little makes a big difference in long shots. and your bridge should be solid.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
mr3c sent me his book, and in reviewing, it became impressed upon me the importance of consistency. I then took a hard look at my stroke, stance, pre shot routine and realized that I really am all over the place.
So I worked on my fundamentals, and reported back to Bill how I changed things up in accordance with his teachings, and that I had felt I improved my pocketing skills by 20%.
When I get anxious I noticed my fundamentals deteriorate, so I always try to think of Bill's stroke and his posts that demonstrate the stroke, to get myself back in line with the proper mind set, and staying mentally in the shot.
I am self taught, and never had a coach, so Bill I think of as my coach!
thanks, Whitey