Condensed matches, what do you think?

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
I like the condensed videos. I often condense the content myself, using arrow keys, and/or speeding up the playback. If I really want to manipulate it, I'll just download the video and play it in VLC.

beatle

Verified Member
great idea. i do it with the you tube videos by speeding them up. there is a button in the settings. and slow them down when i want to re-see a shot in slow motion. this way i get the whole match. the verbal gets funny but the video works.

i wonder if there is a way for having a slider on you tube or yours with the whole video and you can speed it up and slow it down easily.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Kevin, Howdy;

Watched some of the sample cincy_kid posted just below your primary post. As someone still "New"
to the game the context of what is going on from the commentator being missing makes it like a
sam'ich made with just the bread.

It's a nice idea, I'm sure it will have a following, I may even enjoy them myself when I learn more.
But for now, I'll hang with the long slow version "for educational purposes". chuckle.

hank

beatle

Verified Member
his idea is good for one pocket matches. he just makes it too fast at this point. having a version where the fluff and dead time is edited out makes more sense it doesn't have to be a 20 minute short show for those with no attention span.

kross

So you would like condensed, just not ultra condensed. Got it.

beatle

Verified Member
i can see the value of making it shorter in one pocket as so much of the time is spent walking around and taking mini breaks.
i think most enjoy the commentary part where the shots are discussed. a happy medium needs to be reached for success of a noble effort.

kross

I love JJ's commentary as much as, if not more than, the next guy. Unfortunately, I can't make a condensed video and have the commentary make any sense. Most of the interesting commentary is between shots, the parts that I would edit out. I tried it, and I just ended up with a bunch of "that was a nice shot" or "that was unfortunate". So that's why the condensed videos don't have commentary.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
So you would like condensed, just not ultra condensed. Got it.
I think the best I've seen at cutting matches down is the YouTube channel "Cesar Muroya". He does snooker videos. He mostly removes the dead time, but he is very good about keeping the useful remarks from the commentators. He also adds informative rolling text such as the players' stats against each other and the names of the commentators and refs. In a long match, he will cut out whole racks (frames) that aren't noteworthy. It must be a huge amount of work, but all of his videos are worth watching. He has also done "theme" videos, such as controversial calls from multiple matches.

kross

Thanks Bob, I will check those out for inspiration!

-- Kevin

beatle

Verified Member
thats the whole point kross, you dont have to edit out everything but the shooting. we want the conversation about the shots also to keep interested. one pocket is like chess, and the interesting part is the thought processes and the moves, not the running of the balls.

right now on you tube i jump along when there is a dead time. but its hard with the slider they have there to be accurate where you want to land. i dont want to see them walking around for two minutes or the racking of the balls. so i pass those.
yet still try to keep the commentary

unoperro

Verified Member
Some matches lend themselves to being condensed , others not so much. I like the Lion's sizing up his choices. Now when he keeps going over them , not so much. Chohan needs replays on some of his choices/executions!

9 ballers bobbing up and down is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Shot clocks and we wouldn't have this discussion.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Some matches lend themselves to being condensed , others not so much. I like the Lion's sizing up his choices. Now when he keeps going over them , not so much. Chohan needs replays on some of his choices/executions!

9 ballers bobbing up and down is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Shot clocks and we wouldn't have this discussion.
Shot clocks yes please! :)

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I have watched quite a few of your one pocket matches and for me I have no problem with "dead time" if it's players looking over the table. I use this as a WWID study, sometime I even get it right. Thanks for all you do in giving us good matches.

baby huey

Verified Member
I like the drama of a big time shot that takes time to amp up to shooting it. The T-Rex shot in game 87 with Dennis is an example of this. Mostly though the shots are pretty predictable and you don't need the delay added to the time it takes to watch the match.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I watched one from the above link, but was a little disoriented when it seemed like the cue ball from one shot to the next didn't seem to start out where it ended up from the prior shot. I was trying to "follow the cue ball" but it appeared to me some entire shots must have been cut out of the condensed video I watched.

kross

I watched one from the above link, but was a little disoriented when it seemed like the cue ball from one shot to the next didn't seem to start out where it ended up from the prior shot. I was trying to "follow the cue ball" but it appeared to me some entire shots must have been cut out of the condensed video I watched.

If that's the case, then it was an editing error on my part. :(

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I've seen videos like that but it was just from cutting when the cue ball was nearly stopped but had six more inches to go.

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
Some of you may have noticed I've been uploading condensed matches to our YouTube channel (RailbirdsTV). 9 Ball and One Pocket. What I mean by condensed is all the dead time between shots is removed, turning a 2 hour match into a 20 minute video.

Us 9 ball players have the attention span of a goldfish, but what do you one pocket players think of this format? Do you like the condensed versions? If so, I'll keep doing more of them.

Thanks!
-- Kevin
I took a brief look and my first impression I think your condensed versions are kind of cool both 9b and 1pkt.

Personally I think they can be a fun compliment to the full versions.

Especially if maybe the match is two players I’m not quite fond enough of to view their whole match with commentary, but I’d still enjoy seeing how their match played out I think I would go straight for the condensed version in that type of situation.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Some of you may have noticed I've been uploading condensed matches to our YouTube channel (RailbirdsTV). 9 Ball and One Pocket. What I mean by condensed is all the dead time between shots is removed, turning a 2 hour match into a 20 minute video.

Us 9 ball players have the attention span of a goldfish, but what do you one pocket players think of this format? Do you like the condensed versions? If so, I'll keep doing more of them.

Thanks!
-- Kevin
I don’t care for them. Too much editing.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Thanks for your feedback. That's actually what I was worried about. The format works well for 9 ball, I just wasn't sure how it would work for one pocket.

Maybe the format will get non one pockets players interested in the game. Then when they become fans of the game, they can watch the full versions. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. 😁
I can agree that a few players drag out their matches but I don’t think that is a negative for people learning the game. Players just getting involved or that show an interest in playing need to know to study the table to some extent. One pocket is not a game where you shoot indiscriminately and holler $#/t.