Frank's 'The Barber' Back Bank!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
So the question is how many times did you have to try this bank before you made it? Its a beautiful shot BUT is it the shot that is correct considering the score, the distance between the balls, the fact that the 8 ball is frozen and the location of the cueball? I feel you only shoot it if you don't like money. Remember in the game you only get one chance. K

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Awesome shot! Thanks for sharing. I’ll practice this one for a while
Thanks, take note of how I lift out of the stroke as the cue contacts the cb. This is a technique I use to help alleviate push on the cb. It takes timing! This combined with just a very slight 1/2 tip of inside reverse helps hit the target.
Good luck with the shot, it is very demanding as you will discover!
I hope this is helpful, let us know how it turns out, and thanks for joining in and doing a wwyd! Whitey

OldSchool

Verified Member
So the question is how many times did you have to try this bank before you made it? Its a beautiful shot BUT is it the shot that is correct considering the score, the distance between the balls, the fact that the 8 ball is frozen and the location of the cueball? I feel you only shoot it if you don't like money. Remember in the game you only get one chance. K

Exactly 100% correct. And I'm waiting for Whitey to answer your question re. amount of attempts.

Old School

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keith
frank thought he could hit it well enough to make it his shot choice
you dont have to make it
for it to be productive
so even if it took 10 tries to make it
thats not the point
get it close and the cue ball and object ball are on the same side (your side) and there is distance between them
makes banks tough and cuts to his pocket
i agree that for me its tougher than i can execute or have confidence in and would probably play your conservative but safer easier to execute shot
but to me
the point is to show some members or lurkers the shot is available for that kind of situation
we are lucky to have whitey demonstrate shots
regardless if some are alittle outrageous not right for the situation etc and may have taken 100 tries
but i personally would not want him to stop
its up to us how to use that information
its like watching some of tony chohan shots
you only shoot it if you dont like your money
but isnt it sweet when they go.....:cool:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
keith
you dont have to make it
for it to be productive
thats not the point
get it close and the cue ball and object ball are on the same side (your side) and there is distance between them
i agree that for me its tougher than i can execute or have confidence in and would probably play your conservative but safer easier to execute shot
but to me
the point is to show some members or lurkers the shot is available for that kind of situation
regardless if some are alittle outrageous not right for the situation etc and may have taken 100 tries
Larry what are you talking about? Im not asking Whitey to stop I think his videos are great. But I am interested in how difficult the shot was, I don't feel its the correct shot as I stated. I would like to know how many shots it took to make it as filmed and did any of the misses sell out, did he get any kisses, scratches etc while attempting to film a successful shot.. Also Larry you don't have to tell what the point of these wwyds are, I already understand. K

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
keith
you dont have to make it
for it to be productive
thats not the point
but to me

Larry, "No good deed goes..." Anyone that wants the stats on Whitey's shot, should put the mouse/tablet/cell phone down and take it to the table themselves! JMHO.

Personally, for me, I'd play the, 'double straight back bank' to control the CB more easily.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Larry what are you talking about? Im not asking Whitey to stop I think his videos are great. But I am interested in how difficult the shot was, I don't feel its the correct shot as I stated. I would like to know how many shots it took to make it as filmed and did any of the misses sell out, did he get any kisses, scratches etc while attempting to film a successful shot.. Also Larry you don't have to tell what the point of these wwyds are, I already understand. K

Why do you ask Larry what he's talking about? He expressed himself very well, and he also was not berating you and he also never said that you ever DID ask Whitey to stop his vids..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Sappo & Old School, you guys really slave me! Ghost asked me that same question when I did a shot he said was impossible, and got some flack for asking, from members!
You just witness one the most beautiful banks you will ever see, and no one will probably ever see again, and this is your response. Really!
I posted this shot for the sheer beauty of the shot, nothing else.
How many tries do you guys want to 'make' the shot and hold the cb @ less than a half diamond at that pocket speed. Maybe 50-100 or soft rails under 25-50 tries. That is just how special this shot is, do not you guys realize this!
How many tries would you give a world's top banker to exactly duplicate this shot!
Cold turkey early this morning, I almost made it first try, I did this shot in the video on the 5th attempt.
I often times do the shots I post on the 1st attempt but when actually video taping them it can take longer. As you see in this video I have to hold my attention and fixation on the shot for a tremendous amount of time to get in the wordage depicting how I stroke the shot.
And sometimes I do the shots and make them but I know it can be done better, so you often see shots that are perfect for I want to represent what is 'possible'.
I would rate this shot a 9-1/2 on a scale to 10. I did almost the identical shot in pushing out 50 yrs ago, except my next shot the 9 ball was also frozen on the same rail. He passed on it, I stoned it in. It was harder than this shot. The difference playing 7 hrs a day every day. 1st try, get it!

I made this shot the 1st attempt when using just straight center high. This is how I would recommend shooting this shot for the cb still can stay within the head string.
I am surely not happy about having to post this, but I just knew someone would have to ask.
Whitey

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Why do you ask Larry what he's talking about? He expressed himself very well, and he also was not berating you and he also never said that you ever DID ask Whitey to stop his vids..
Jimmy, this will be my last post on the subject. I replied to Larry because I don't understand why he wrote to me regarding my question to Whitey about the difficulty of making the bank. Why would Larry have to come to Whitey's defense and tell me the purposes of WWYDs on this site? Why would he bring up anything about hating to see Whitey stop making the videos? I sure never mentioned that.

And by the same token I don't understand why you are getting involved.

All I asked of Whitey was How many times it took to make the shot, because I don't feel its the correct shot., End of conversation. Keith

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jimmy, this will be my last post on the subject. I replied to Larry because I don't understand why he wrote to me regarding my question to Whitey about the difficulty of making the bank. Why would Larry have to come to Whitey's defense and tell me the purposes of WWYDs on this site? Why would he bring up anything about hating to see Whitey stop making the videos? I sure never mentioned that.

All I asked of Whitey was How many times it took to make the shot, because I don't feel its the correct shot., End of conversation. Keith

Ok, Man... You know I like ya too...werk....

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Ok guys I know this is a difficult bank but it's a shot that I have practiced a lot and feel very comfortable with. I have shot this identical bank but with the object ball further to the right and near the corner pocket. And yes I have shot it in pressure situations. I went to the rec center yesterday and a couple of players there asked me about this post and asked me to try the shot. The first time I got close and left no return bank and made the bank the second try with the cue ball to the safe area.
The more we practice the difficult things the more we get comfortable with them.
P.S.... thanks Whitey for posting the video.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
While it may not have seemed like a dig when posted... it kinda sounded like one... 🤔
FWIW, I thought it was a well executed shot..
This merely shows, in a well constructed video, what’s possible... Tks Whitey. You da man...👍

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ok guys I know this is a difficult bank but it's a shot that I have practiced a lot and feel very comfortable with. I have shot this identical bank but with the object ball further to the right and near the corner pocket. And yes I have shot it in pressure situations. I went to the rec center yesterday and a couple of players there asked me about this post and asked me to try the shot. The first time I got close and left no return bank and made the bank the second try with the cue ball to the safe area.
The more we practice the difficult things the more we get comfortable with them.
P.S.... thanks Whitey for posting the video.
frank
you are my hero....(y):D