5 rack game?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Dave & Cincy,
So a buy-in gets you 3 attempts at 5 rack ghost, correct! I would assume all 32 players would like a go at it. Do you guys think this would also be the case, all 32 guys wanting to get in.
If so, is there enough available time for 3 attempts. I would assume only 1 table would be used, correct.

Cincy, on your break suggestion. It would actually be; Break and Scratch -1pt. BIH - BTL.
For guys that do not know how to play from where the cb lies are going to try and scratch. Maybe 3a. fits your intent.

So I think these should be the choices of break that needs to be decided upon. listed from easiest to hardest.
1. Break and take ball in hand anywhere - a scratch is not a loss of rack, but -1pt. still BIH anywhere.
2. Break and a scratch is -1pt. rack continues w/ BIH-BTL
3. Break and play cb from where it lies - a scratch is loss of rack.
Or,
3a. Break and play cb from where it lies - no intentional scratch allowed - a scratch is a re-rack no loss of rack, but down -1pt.

I like the above options.

Maybe we could allow the breaker to choose which break they want if we first handicap the breaks. They would have to stick to the same break throughout the 5 racks.
1. Break w/ BIH anywhere - we then add a -2pt. for offsetting the BIH anywhere.
2. Break w/scratch BIH-BTL w/-1pt. This already handicapped.
3. Break play from where cb lies. no handicap.
Do you think this would be fair for those that want to play from where the cb lies?
thanks for brain storming, guys! Whitey
I hope I can come and watch , but if it doesn't work out , I hope you all have a great time.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Billy Jackets,
with the covid #'s going down maybe there is a possibility that the MOT will be on. I believe it is or was booked in the Chicago area. If you have not been to a MOT I know you will enjoy it.
Were just beating around some 5 Rack Ghost ideas to get a basic frame work. It is almost more like passing some time during these times.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That great Billy Jackets!
I think my proposal of developing a frame work for 5 rack ghost is probably not going anywhere, for this could all be decided at the MOT players meeting.
I would go with:
Break; ball in hand anywhere - a scratch is BIH-BTL -1pt.
Buy in; $10/20 w/ non limit of re-buys. The player with the least amount of tries goes to the front of the line.
Pay off jackpot; undecided!
Schedule; Saturday after round of 16 thru Sunday ending before championship match starts.

How this look guys!
Saturday play only, might work better, I do not have a pulse for this one. The players still in the tournament might only get one try at the purse.
The Ball in Hand Anywhere break, I feel it is fairer when you think about the overall field of players, for who wants to take the time to develop a break played from where the cue ball lies.

But when discussions about the next MOT start up in earnest then we can present a multitude of options, and the players can decide.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oA2AznkP9Dtk9akg8
Good Luck with this break, it seems to be working well for me, but I have not road tested it much.
But, like with any break it has to be hit correctly to get the desired results.

If you slow down the video speed of the break to .5 then it easier to see where the 2nd ball is contacted and the reaction of the balls.

I think it is fascinating watching how the balls break open in slow motion. It amazes me how the 11 nearly goes sideways, and the 10 in the middle of the stack goes perfectly to the top of the stack, as does the 15 slightly opens up. All other balls are acting predictable.

I love the reaction of the 6, straight in and straight off the foot rail. This is important for if the rack is struck harder then that ball goes back into the stack.
Enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJHoRuV4mLHaiWi67
A run w/ a fudge! I hope you guys get a little laugh!
Whitey
Nice cuts - center pocket on most of those shots. Even that two-railer came in deep. On that 10' table you have time for a cup of coffee while the ball comes around.
That 1ball bank was nice but something seemed a little off about it - can't quite say what, but it reminds me of a Mark Hansen technique..
Good shooting.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Guys!
I do like trying several different breaks and working them. And wow I hit a 2nd, or 3rd, and now recently a 4th ball break, you hit them and they work so nice, but they brake down after really working them, its like fools gold! So I am full circle with the head ball break again.

But, what I really like is just the practice instead of just seeing how many balls I can run. When I miss a shot or shape, I reset it up and get it right and move on, for once I get this down then I know the ball runs will come.

If you just try to get big runs without putting in the time to bonified such a run, then what probably is going to happen is that the table lays right for your skill set and you get that big run, or you get totally frustrated and burnt out. Either way it is a loser proposition.

So take pride in your continuing development, and get the most out of this game, for you can come away with big rewards. Rewards are; shape, pocketing balls, learning stack play, touch, combinations, and advance skill are seeing the layout 3 to 4 balls ahead, but not so much bank. For banks you will have set aside time just to work on them. Banks will really keep a run alive, and for the actual game of OP we all know how important banks are.

Well we just turned over 10,000 views. Thanks Cincy Kid! I do not play much, and before working this game, I just banged around 15 ball rotation, which does take great full table skills to play it properly and run the rack, but it does not develop the touch needed to play this game or OP.

I thought it was about time I put up a video of running some balls, just doing my part to keep this thread going tell others can join in during these times. I do really hope you guys got a laugh on how I pocketed that 1 ball. The Mark Hansen technique. LOl!
thanks, Whitey
Congrats guys & Cincy Kid! 10,000 views, Wow!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whitey
Thanks so much for the videos and explanation
I never thought there was a way to beat the kiss with the cue ball going forward

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Whitey
I never thought there was a way to beat the kiss with the cue ball going forward
Going forward is the only was to beat the kiss, if you practice these banks move your bridge hand forward a lot that will
take some or all deflection out of the CB which will help you.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey
Larry, we all owe you a vote of thanks, for when I was working on banks and getting out of the kiss, which I was able to on all the banks I tried, it was you that put me onto aligning the balls to the middle of the pocket facing. You are a student of the game, and really share your knowledge!
None of this would of transpired without your input! thanks!

Thanks guys, and Androd thanks for the tip!
I'll post these shots on the Bank Forum along with a few others so the new members will have a better chance of viewing them.
Whitey
An Update! I just now played with the harder position bank and did it without having to do the semi masse' stroke. I used extreme outside english (right hand) w/ 1/2 tip above center, level stroke. Aim almost full at ob.

We need to move the cb a little further out to make sure we are shooting at half the facing, and then the semi-masse' will most likely need to be used. Good Luck!

Last edited: