Hitting the road

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Not in the traditional pool sense though.
Looks like I'm working from home pretty permanently. So we sold our house and bought a travel trailer and an f250, and us and our daughters (2&4) are just gonna venture around the U.S. for a bit.

First leg we're probably gonna take off east from Houston and make our way to Fla. First stop somewhere in northern LA i think. Then we'll head north slowly letting it warm up a little, then diagonal back down to Houston for a rest before we take off and do the west half.

Would love to meet and possibly play some members along the way. Not sure how well that will line up as per the purpose of the trip we're doing mostly wilderness type stays, so not sure how close I'll end up to areas with good pool rooms.
But at least wanted to throw it out there in case any members knew of any great state parks/rv sites/etc close enough for me to still get a pool fix.

Welcome any non-pool related ideas as well. Any hidden gems you'd recommend us try to hit along the way.

Cheers!
Rene

unoperro

Verified Member
Wow sounds like a great time. Hope this goes smoothly for your family. Look me up if headed thru S.Dak. Plenty of camping around here. Neighborhood park I grew up in has RV hookups and showers.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Check out Land between the lakes in Western Kentucky where i live this summer. They have BLM back country camping with the 2 week move deal

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Rene,

Good on you. Coincidently I did something similar buying a trailer and a vehicle to tow it, but not full time like you. I will be camping in Fla soon near Pensacola and looking to play also. I have located some rooms in the area, if timing works and you are near maybe we can meet up. You can pm me.

Darrell

p.s.........are you familiar with "harvest hosts" and "boondockers", both are clubs that offer free places to stay like vineyards, farms, golf courses, and private properties........very good

i

Last edited:

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Wow sounds like a great time. Hope this goes smoothly for your family. Look me up if headed thru S.Dak. Plenty of camping around here. Neighborhood park I grew up in has RV hookups and showers.
Thanks! Probably wont be out that way for several months yet. We have Mt. Rainier sites booked for June so will be coming through the midwest on the way from that. I will definitely reach out when that gets closer and we figure out where we're headed.

Check out Land between the lakes in Western Kentucky where i live this summer. They have BLM back country camping with the 2 week move deal
Thanks John. You going to be back there this summer? Definitely looking for as much BLM land as we can find to try to get away from the crowds (and keep the costs down).

Rene,

Good on you. Coincidently I did something similar buying a trailer and a vehicle to tow it, but not full time like you. I will be camping in Fla soon near Pensacola and looking to play also. I have located some rooms in the area, if timing works and you are near maybe we can meet up. You can pm me.

Darrell

p.s.........are you familiar with "harvest hosts" and "boondockers", both are clubs that offer free places to stay like vineyards, farms, golf courses, and private properties........very good
Thanks Darrel. I expect i'll be in Fla in 6 weeks or so but schedule is still real rough. I'll reach out when i get a more solid idea.
And thanks for the tips. We are looking at both. Seems like a good way to keep costs down and see some interesting stuff/meet cool folks.

My wife and I talked about doing that some day after we retire, we will see! :)

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! Didn't figure we'd get this kind of opportunity until we retired, and by then my girls will want nothing to do with it, so taking our shot at it.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
We visited Rainier in late June of 2019. The roads were clear but there was still a lot of snow on the Mtn at lower elevations.
Since you will be in the area, I would suggest driving out to Olympic National and doing some hiking out there.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I always wanted to do that. Sounds great. I think there may be issues with some of the Federal and State camp grounds happening right now . I just glanced at something the other day and I'm not positive what they were saying, but I would call ahead and make sure the places I planned to stay were up and running before taking off.
I just sold my Dodge van factory camper this summer , I have regretted it since they drove off.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Heading out this Saturday.
First stop will be some BLM land in central Louisiana for a few days.
Then somewhere near NOLA for a few days. Buffalo's back running?
From there continue stopping various places enroute to Florida.

Another question, I remember a while back someone (I think Cincy) made like a map where you could see member's locations if they opted in.
I searched around but couldn't find it anywhere. Anyone know where that is if it still exists?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Heading out this Saturday.
First stop will be some BLM land in central Louisiana for a few days.
Then somewhere near NOLA for a few days. Buffalo's back running?
From there continue stopping various places enroute to Florida.

Another question, I remember a while back someone (I think Cincy) made like a map where you could see member's locations if they opted in.
I searched around but couldn't find it anywhere. Anyone know where that is if it still exists?
it's very slow loading and may time out on you but if not it is here:

(another on the "to do" list is making that better/faster) :)

Good luck on your trip and have fun!

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Currently boondicking in Kisatchie National Forest in central Louisiana.
Next stop we'll be staying somewhere outside of New Orleans. Probably get there Thursday.
Would like to try to steal away one evening. What's the pool scene like right now? Buff's open?

Anyone got any recommendations for activities with the little ones (2&4)?

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Sneaky,

Sitting just outside of Pensacola now and will be here til about the 23rd. Only room I have found in Pensacola is Nine Mile Billiards. They have some good diamonds and some gold crowns, pretty nice room with a bar and food. Look me up if you stop anywher aroun Pensacola and wanna play some.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Thanks for the FL tips! Still trying to figure out where we're gonna stop there. Will definitely check them out and reach out if i'm close.