Recent content by bstroud

1. B

One pocket ghost prop?

Since I seldom have anyone to play with I have been playing the 10 ball ghost prop a lot. Race to 10. No ball on the break you lose. Scratch on the break you lose. Miss and you lose. 10 on the break spots. Seems too easy. What is the number for the one pocket ghost prop? Five breaks. 20,25,30...
  2. B

2x16=32

Saw a tournament announcement on AZ. Bar box 32K tournament. 16 players and 2k entry. Where is the added money? My experience with Poplar Bluff MO is not so good. I was driving to the second Johnson City tournament in a new red Corvette. I had just bought it. It didn't have a soft top...
  3. B

Players, Hustlers,Stakehorses and others

Artie's recent thread got me thinking about all the people I have run into in the pool room in my lifetime. Among the departed: Marcel Camp, Joe Procita, Eddy Taylor, U. J. Pucket, Hayden Lingo, Glenn Womack (Eufaula), Harry Petroise, Cue ball Kelly, Omaha Fats, Fatty, Chris McGeaen, Johny...
  4. B

Found on AZ

Stumbled into this on AZ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-daLvDnH8&index=26&list=PLSdlfdk6zG-rltsivz2zWAjkeYUj1UgWE Start at 3:25 Tor Lowrey stopped by a week or so ago. Didn't know he would put it on the air. Bill S.
  5. B

BreakandRun one pocket

I know that most of the people on this site think that one pocket is just fine the way it is. I think so also. For the average player that goes to tournaments it can be confusing and boring to watch. Tournament matches seem to go on forever. After a lot of thought I have come up with a format...
  6. B

Cyclop balls in

Came yesterday. Played first session today. 12 to 5 and the break. The third shot I ran 11 and out. Balls play great. They take what seems like a natural roll on all cut shots. It's a pleasure to not need to guess how much the object ball is going to twist every shot. One ball did hop...
  7. B

Modern One Pocket-some observations

I have been back playing for just over a year and am finally starting to understand just how to play todays' one pocket. The equipment is different. Tighter pockets are one thing but they don't make that much difference. After playing with the Cyclop balls and now back to the Aramith balls it...
  8. B

DCC cue ball

What cue ball do they use at the Diamond? It's time to really start to practice. Bill S.
  9. B

One Pocket Drills

When I started back playing pool a few months ago I had to make some clear decisions. Should I buy a Gold Crown and Centennial balls like I was used to or should I buy more contemporary equipment like a Diamond table and Aramith balls. I gave it a lot of thought and in the end chose the latter...
  10. B

Camera for above table shots

I want to install a camera for video and stills above my Diamond table for web output. Anyone know what kind of camera to use? Bill Stroud
  11. B

Simonis Cloth

This is for all you younger one pocket players. I see a lot of admiration for players like Alex, Frost and other ball runners. They win because they can run a lot of balls. 18 to 4? Well one pocket wasn't always that way. With nappy cloth an 8 and out was a real accomplishment. Two or three...
  12. B

Interesting Situation

I had this situation come up on Monday. I needed all the balls except the 4 ball. What would you do here? http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAdA3BALc4CXgL2DVUi3EHQi3FAtO3GDWG4HBql3IDfX3JBKi3OCHq2PXxV@ Bill Stroud
  13. B

Practice with Purpose 2.01

Part2.01 As promised we are going back through Practice with Purpose in reverse order. We’re going to use a lot of diagrams as we go along to better illustrate these shots. I’m going to start with what I call the Duck. This is a shot that offers no hope of a ball in your pocket and little hope...
  14. B

Practice with Purpose Part 1.5

Consider this section of Practice with Purpose transitional in nature. Before we go back through part 1 in reverse order with lots of shots and examples, we need to examine some of the unconventional practice scenarios that really don’t fit into Part 1. Two of these situations involve only...
  15. B

Open your Eyes

When most of you started to play pool you probably imitated the better players in your room. The way they held their cue, the way they lined up and particularly how they took their stance. I didn’t have any good players to emulate so I learned from the Orange Mosconi book. On the first few...