New website that is all about Chicago Pool History

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Very cool web site indeed. Anyone know the story on the guy who put it all together, Mr. Bond? Does he like his martinis shaken and not stirred? :D

Thanks, CaliRed. I've just taken a quick peek, and it's incredible that we can sit back in the luxury of our homes and be able to read all of this.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yikes !!!

Yikes !!!

I am bracing myself for a new onslaught of "chest puffing" from the Chi-guy's.

Seriously, I always knew the history was there. I just hate it when they get to actually gloat. (which they rarely [sic] do)...But then again, does bank pool and billiards, really count in the real world ?

When my new book (still in the research stage) comes out, I will deal with where Chicago ranks in gambling, with...Oh say, Tyler, Texas or Shreveport, La...Considerably more $$$$ wagered there,... than a city 100 times larger...heh,heh.:D

I will not embarrass their fine city, by including Dallas and Houston in the mix.
It would be devastating to their moralE...:eek:

El Ducko

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Clare said:
Thanks, CaliRed. I've just taken a quick peek, and it's incredible that we can sit back in the luxury of our homes and be able to read all of this.

Clare, I'm happy for you, but unfortunately the poor Ghost's home, isn't luxurious...:(....:D

- Ghosty

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
I am bracing myself for a new onslaught of "chest puffing" from the Chi-guy's.

Seriously, I always knew the history was there. I just hate it when they get to actually gloat. (which they rarely [sic] do)...But then again, does bank pool and billiards, really count in the real world ?

When my new book (still in the research stage) comes out, I will deal with where Chicago ranks in gambling, with...Oh say, Tyler, Texas or Shreveport La...Considerably more $$$$ wagered there,... than a city 100 times bigger...heh,heh.:D

I will not embarrass their fine city, by including Dallas and Houston in the mix.
It would be devastating to their moral...:eek:

El Ducko

SBL(SandBeltLooney),

Before you worry about hijack speed on my next post you may want to correct this one. How could you have the sense to fix the first few words of paragraph #3(I never thought you'd see it) but still not fix the last word in your post?

RBL(ReallyBoringLooney)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Hey Fred, Ghostie and mr3cushion...

Just curious if you know who Mr. Bond is that created this site and whether you will contribute photos and cool stuff like that to him?

I mentioned you guys to him in a PM over at AZB, that you lived there and have a long history with Bensingers and that you might have photos. I didn't give phone numbers or SSN's, but just gave him a heads up. I figured if he lived there, he would probably already know all of you.

But was wondering if you knew who he was, obviously a billiards nut and I would assume lives in Chicago and whether you would be interested in sharing some photos and stuff with him, if he's cool.

I want to see more photos of the Bensingers era and all we've got to see is a few from Freddy's book and a few Bill posted awhile back. I would love to see more and would offer for free my services to scan ALL of your photos in high resolution, burn them to a DVD and make several copies for you, so you can store in different locations, in case a fire or something ruins all your priceless photos. They would be forever preserved.

For a referral, you can ask Dennis, as I scanned a large number of slides for him and made a movie out of it and also gave him several copies of it.

My interest is as follows......

I enjoy doing things for my fellow onepocket friends

I would get to enjoy viewing all the photos while scanning them.

I would know once they were scanned, they would be forever preserved and more easily shared with whoever you decide to share with.

I have a strict privacy standard, in that as a Network Adminstrator, I have been used to having access to people's most personal stuff for decades, and it's old hat to me. Everyone's privacy is safe with me.

So ANYONE, that has some photos they would like scanned, feel free to look me up. You cannot get a better deal and you get it done in a professional manner.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dont know the man

Dont know the man

CaliRed said:
Hey Fred, Ghostie and mr3cushion...

Just curious if you know who Mr. Bond is that created this site and whether you will contribute photos and cool stuff like that to him?

I mentioned you guys to him in a PM over at AZB, that you lived there and have a long history with Bensingers and that you might have photos. I didn't give phone numbers or SSN's, but just gave him a heads up. I figured if he lived there, he would probably already know all of you.

But was wondering if you knew who he was, obviously a billiards nut and I would assume lives in Chicago and whether you would be interested in sharing some photos and stuff with him, if he's cool.

I want to see more photos of the Bensingers era and all we've got to see is a few from Freddy's book and a few Bill posted awhile back. I would love to see more and would offer for free my services to scan ALL of your photos in high resolution, burn them to a DVD and make several copies for you, so you can store in different locations, in case a fire or something ruins all your priceless photos. They would be forever preserved.

For a referral, you can ask Dennis, as I scanned a large number of slides for him and made a movie out of it and also gave him several copies of it.

My interest is as follows......

I enjoy doing things for my fellow onepocket friends

I would get to enjoy viewing all the photos while scanning them.

I would know once they were scanned, they would be forever preserved and more easily shared with whoever you decide to share with.

I have a strict privacy standard, in that as a Network Adminstrator, I have been used to having access to people's most personal stuff for decades, and it's old hat to me. Everyone's privacy is safe with me.

So ANYONE, that has some photos they would like scanned, feel free to look me up. You cannot get a better deal and you get it done in a professional manner.

As Omaha Fats said to Minnesota Fats when Minnesota was bragging about playing pool with Zsa Zsa Gabor on a TV show, "Well I dont know the man, but if you were playing him, I know you had the nuts!"

I am more than insulted that this bird has put together an impressive site about Chicago pool and hasnt bothered to consult, or look me up. That tells me that he probably dont know SJ Dick, except what he has read in a book about Chicago pool.

It's like I told Martin Scorcese when I demanded a part in The Color of Money, "How would you like it, Martin, if they made a movie about directors from the lower East Side of NY, and they didnt include you?" "Ok, Beard, ok. Just go stand over there next to Tom Cruise." (That was a real conversation that ocurred in the shooting of TCOM.)

Beard

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
As Omaha Fats said to Minnesota Fats when Minnesota was bragging about playing pool with Zsa Zsa Gabor on a TV show, "Well I dont know the man, but if you were playing him, I know you had the nuts!"

I am more than insulted that this bird has put together an impressive site about Chicago pool and hasnt bothered to consult, or look me up. That tells me that he probably dont know SJ Dick, except what he has read in a book about Chicago pool.

It's like I told Martin Scorcese when I demanded a part in The Color of Money, "How would you like it, Martin, if they made a movie about directors from the lower East Side of NY, and they didnt include you?" "Ok, Beard, ok. Just go stand over there next to Tom Cruise." (That was a real conversation that ocurred in the shooting of TCOM.)

Beard

hehe Fred... he's one of my favorite directors.

If it helps, when I was asking about that time frame, he said they were working up to it chronologically, so maybe he's been just too busy with the earlier stuff. He probably figured you wouldn't have too many juicy stories from 1918:D

C'mon Fred... send me all you pics so I can make a nice DVD for you. If you like it, you can sell it. My only payment would be to have all your stuff, which wouldn't cost you a dime (pirating from yourself).. except maybe the books, which I already got one of them.

Your pics are safe...none would ever see the light of day, unless you released them. I may put too much powder in my gun once in a while, but I am a man of my word.:)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ok, ok

Ok, ok

CaliRed said:
hehe Fred... he's one of my favorite directors.

If it helps, when I was asking about that time frame, he said they were working up to it chronologically, so maybe he's been just too busy with the earlier stuff. He probably figured you wouldn't have too many juicy stories from 1918:D

C'mon Fred... send me all you pics so I can make a nice DVD for you. If you like it, you can sell it. My only payment would be to have all your stuff, which wouldn't cost you a dime (pirating from yourself).. except maybe the books, which I already got one of them.

Your pics are safe...none would ever see the light of day, unless you released them. I may put too much powder in my gun once in a while, but I am a man of my word.:)

Give me an address.

Beard

DBB

From
Chicagoland
twister said:
Very cool web site indeed. Anyone know the story on the guy who put it all together, Mr. Bond? Does he like his martinis shaken and not stirred? :D

Actually I prefer a nice Tequila, slightly chilled, straight up. :cool:

Thank you for the compliment. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

DBBond

DBB

From
Chicagoland
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Now Fred - you didn't really think I would leave you out did ya?
I was born in the dark but it weren't last night !

Truth be told Fred, some of the best historic material anyone has ever seen is still to come - and that of course includes what you are willing to share with us. I've just been so busy with what I've compiled so far, that I haven't had the time to get ahold of you yet, or anyone else for that matter... Hell, I've been trying to sit down with Jim Parker for months...but it just ain't happening !

Anyway - you'll hear from me very soon, I'm looking forward to it.

DB Bond

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

I regret that I didn't see this sooner. CaliRed made a dvd for me of more than 250 35mm slides that my father took when he was in Korea, 52-53. These slides have been in my family ever since and in my care for 30 or more years. CaliRed cleaned them and treated them as if they were his own and made me a wonderful dvd of the slides. He made me copies for family members including my father(he's 80 yrs. old). Everybody here loved the dvd and the opportunity to see our old familiar slides on a television.

A dvd was also made of many 35mm home pictures and CaliRed included these pics on the same dvd as the Korea slides.

He does a top notch job and knows exactly what he is doing and I'm glad to recommend him and any services that he offers to anybody on this site.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ok, I forgive you.

Ok, I forgive you.

DBB said:
Now Fred - you didn't really think I would leave you out did ya?
I was born in the dark but it weren't last night !

Truth be told Fred, some of the best historic material anyone has ever seen is still to come - and that of course includes what you are willing to share with us. I've just been so busy with what I've compiled so far, that I haven't had the time to get ahold of you yet, or anyone else for that matter... Hell, I've been trying to sit down with Jim Parker for months...but it just ain't happening !

Anyway - you'll hear from me very soon, I'm looking forward to it.

DB Bond

I thought maybe San Jose Dick had gotten to you. He would probably like to be a part of Chicago's pool history too, seeing as how he spent all of ten minutes in Bensingers, nine minutes of it in the bathroom. :)
You can ask him how many people he played in the city of Chicago.
When I went into his joint, The Le Cue in Houston, I got down in minutes, I gave Skippy Riggs 8 to 7 playing bank pool and followed that win up with giving the Big Train, Greg Stevens 9 to 8 playing banks. (I also played him 9 ball. He gave me the 7,8 and 9 and took the break. The game he gave just about everybody. I didnt like that one.)

Beard

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
DBB.......Welcome to the site, great job you are doing....I also may have some old Chicago pool info for you...you can pm me if you like.

- Ghost