Phoenix trip

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I've only seen 1 six and out on the tight Hardtimes Bellflower Brunswick Big Bertha table--about 15 years ago. The golf game was 7 handed. I ended up having to pay double for the run as Archie, the shooter, followed me. John Henderson is familiar with the table and Archie. It was a complete freak for it to happen as the corners were especially tight. The side out hole shot was a Z-bank!!! The owner at the time, Kenny, had a plaque made to honor Archie for the feat. Many, many greats have played on that table. Nobody is going 6 and out from the break within the D.

I think the table got tougher after Hard Times got it. They never changed the cloth and it was slick as glass, along with the tight pockets. I ran 5 a time or two when the table was at The Billiard Palace. I played in a ring game at San Gabriel Bowl in the 60’s/70’s, that if you could not run 5 and out from the two hole, you had no business in the game. The bowling alley 5 x 10’s were soft tables.

When I was playing a lot of golf, someone told me to never go to Gage Bowl in LA and play Chico. I was there that night. He two railed in the one hole and ran six and out, and started cackling. We were playing for 10/1 around 1963. I said ‘You think that’s funny? Now the the bet is $20/2’. He then proceeded to bust me.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I think the table got tougher after Hard Times got it. They never changed the cloth and it was slick as glass, along with the tight pockets. I ran 5 a time or two when the table was at The Billiard Palace. I played in a ring game at San Gabriel Bowl in the 60’s/70’s, that if you could not run 5 and out from the two hole, you had no business in the game. The bowling alley 5 x 10’s were soft tables.

When I was playing a lot of golf, someone told me to never go to Gage Bowl in LA and play Chico. I was there that night. He two railed in the one hole and ran six and out, and started cackling. We were playing for 10/1 around 1963. I said ‘You think that’s funny? Now the the bet is $20/2’. He then proceeded to bust me.
lol, that's hilarious, props to you for not needing to be the wizard of Oz all the time.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
That's what it looked like in the video of SVB playing golf at Hardtimes but I had to ask because that's opposite to what I remembered. I thought the 1-hole was the corner pocket above the 2-ball spot and the final 6-hole was the side pocket on the same side. But I've played so little Golf that I could be wrong. The games I played in or watched all took place in the south and midwest.

Does anyone know if the holes are numbered differently in California versus other parts of the country? Maybe someone who's played in the south or midwest can confirm how it's done there.

The video I posted of Sady Quezada running all six holes happened in Salt Lake City. He starts with the 1-hole on the 2-ball side--the same as what I remembered. I would count Utah as part of the west region same as California and Arizona. So now I'm really confused.
Here is a thread we had talking about golf and I put up the rules and game play as I remembered it.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Here is a thread we had talking about golf and I put up the rules and game play as I remembered it.

The holes are numbered the way I remembered in your rules, @cincy_kid . So I guess they are numbered differently than out west. I knew that Golf had lots of little "house rules." Last place I played Golf, they put the Kelley Pea jug in the middle of the table as an obstacle. But shooting the holes in a different order seems like a major change.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Out here the 1 hole is on the same side where the 3 ball would be placed in a snooker game. You go counter clockwise from there. There are some tables out here where the ball will not go in to the corner until it is forced in! I hate tables that are so shut down and take most shooting out of the game. I have also played golf in Colorado Springs where pool balls were used on the snooker table instead of snooker balls. Lol. Every locale I have been to have their unique rules. The Hardtimes Bellflower rules were great and very challenging. Hitting any ball but your own cost you the price of the game and a scratch and you come off the table.
Wait…are you saying the 1 hole is the 2 hole?

🤦🏻‍♂️ Good grief, I knews they was bassackwards out there and this just proves it.

😆