What does t rex need to beat the lion ?

unoperro

Verified Member
I think Tony gets a bad rap regarding heart and "want to" just because he is casual in appearance doesn't mean he isn't trying his hardest. Everyone has a different style and his has always been very casual, it doesn't come up when he wins but his approach is the same. I just think Alex is that little bit better. I would think Tony could hang tough getting 10-7 or even. 9-7. Having gambled at one pocket for 30 years, I have seen the difference between going to 7 versus 8 be extremely big.
I think you are spot on. I think Tony going to his phone indicates he is bored with Alex taking so long.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think Tony gets a bad rap regarding heart and "want to" just because he is casual in appearance doesn't mean he isn't trying his hardest. Everyone has a different style and his has always been very casual, it doesn't come up when he wins but his approach is the same. I just think Alex is that little bit better. I would think Tony could hang tough getting 10-7 or even. 9-7. Having gambled at one pocket for 30 years, I have seen the difference between going to 7 versus 8 be extremely big.

Being casual in appearance doesn’t mean he doesn’t try hard but that casual thinking permeates his game. Tony is a degenerate gambler as most pool players. He has won at least a million dollars and he has none and owes from the gossip. Third day, Tony starts strong and steals the first game. Second game he is ahead 7-1. He chooses the right shot but shoots it “casual”, leaving Alex a chance to get some balls. Later in the game, he makes another unforced error. Alex scores again. Nearing the end, its 7-6. Tony chooses a difficult take out with the six on the rail and the cue ball on the same bottom rail. He casually shoots the right shot BUT leaves Alex and easy three footer. He had to shoot that shot hard enough to get the six up table but he tries to play like Alex, trying to play perfect like Alex. He loses the game. Alex knows within inches where the balls will go, Tony many occasions hopes to get the right leave.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
just answer my question in post #17
very straight forward i think
"jmho
icbw"
😂

I don't like to repeat myself -- you have my answer.

But since this is of such deep, deep enduring concern to you, here's what I'll do for you, Larry: PayPal me $100 and I will further explain why I posted, what I posted, when I posted it : -)

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Being casual in appearance doesn’t mean he doesn’t try hard but that casual thinking permeates his game. Tony is a degenerate gambler as most pool players. He has won at least a million dollars and he has none and owes from the gossip. Third day, Tony starts strong and steals the first game. Second game he is ahead 7-1. He chooses the right shot but shoots it “casual”, leaving Alex a chance to get some balls. Later in the game, he makes another unforced error. Alex scores again. Nearing the end, its 7-6. Tony chooses a difficult take out with the six on the rail and the cue ball on the same bottom rail. He casually shoots the right shot BUT leaves Alex and easy three footer. He had to shoot that shot hard enough to get the six up table but he tries to play like Alex, trying to play perfect like Alex. He loses the game. Alex knows within inches where the balls will go, Tony many occasions hopes to get the right leave.

What Bill wrote in the above post is probably the most contributing factor to why T-Rex lost to the Lion. Anyone who is gambling hand-over-fist, losing large sums of money (I will assume he is losing/betting more than he wins), and not having cash to cover those wagers is an exhausting mental drain that affects every aspect of a person's cognitive processes such as reasoning, problem solving, and making judgments.
Coincidentally, I can't recall which of us previously mentioned that Tony was always checking/texting on his phone during the match, but I would suppose he was probably checking scores, odds, and bets and not reading or posting to onepocket.org. Degenerate gambling is as toxic as abusing alcohol and drugs. I'm not preaching he would have beaten Alex even if his head was on straight, I'm just saying that it just might be the final piece to the puzzle.

On another note, since we're probably the generation that knows the original cartoon characters best, here's something funny I read today.

So Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd break into a distillery. Daffy then turns to Elmer and says, "Is this whiskey?" Elmer says, "Yeth, but not as whiskey as wobbing a bank!"

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What Bill wrote in the above post is probably the most contributing factor to why T-Rex lost to the Lion. Anyone who is gambling hand-over-fist, losing large sums of money (I will assume he is losing/betting more than he wins), and not having cash to cover those wagers is an exhausting mental drain that affects every aspect of a person's cognitive processes such as reasoning, problem solving, and making judgments.
Coincidentally, I can't recall which of us previously mentioned that Tony was always checking/texting on his phone during the match, but I would suppose he was probably checking scores, odds, and bets and not reading or posting to onepocket.org. Degenerate gambling is as toxic as abusing alcohol and drugs. I'm not preaching he would have beaten Alex even if his head was on straight, I'm just saying that it just might be the final piece to the puzzle.

On another note, since we're probably the generation that knows the original cartoon characters best, here's something funny I r

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I don't like to repeat myself -- you have my answer.

But since this is of such deep, deep enduring concern to you, here's what I'll do for you, Larry: PayPal me $100 and I will further explain why I posted, what I posted, when I posted it : -)

Lou Figueroa
Send you $100 ?
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS LOU !!!!! 😱😱😱😱
”jmho
icbw”
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Tony has an unbelievable talent and a great imagination…

Here are some things I noticed that would have bothered me had I been staking Tony….

(1) His break…
Why didn’t he move the cb out farther from the rail to avoid scratching
or switch to the other pocket sooner?

(2) Time taken…
Often during his runs he doesn’t take the time that is necessary to properly
analyze the route and the speed that’s needed to get out… or at least
get more balls… many times he cut his runs short… and lost the game…

(3) on ice…
There were several games lost that should have been iced, big leads blown…
enough games to have made the match much closer than 36/29….

(4) mood & attitude
The first two days were hard to watch… granted, Alex got the best of the rolls
and I know it’s tough to deal with them in real time, but in order to be a top contender
in anything you must have a mental make-up that can withstand any assaults and a
never/ever give up attitude…

Just my opinion of why he didn’t, and why he can’t win in a long race against Alex…
5) He's pig-headed. Won't switch from what is not working until it's too late. Feels he can out power, out execute, out run what isn't working.. Alex will do whatever it takes to win including reinventing his style if required. But we all love the big man's creativity and gamble. Big props in getting into the ring with someone he was probably a 60/40 dog with that small spot.

My estimate 11-6. Would make Tony a slight favorite. No shame. Except for Dennis O, Fador, Josh F & SVB I figure Alex can give the world that.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Send you $100 ?
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS LOU !!!!! 😱😱😱😱
”jmho
icbw”
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You can ask Lou why he is so lacking in self confidence since he signs his name to his post after using Lfigueroa avatar. If he answers correctly, then the $hunnert.

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I think it was.clear what Alex thought of giving up a ball, he consistently lagged into the stack when he clearly could have made ALMOST the same shot off a ball.

It also shows just how high a level they are playing at, Tony would be up 3 to -2 or 5 to -1 and was still what I considered VERY concerned about any mistake letting Alex free to generate a run, he passed over several shots with 7, one I considered not even medium difficultly for a player of his ballstriking and pocketing ability.

Reactions: lll

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
Tony needs a real team behind him, I remember watching Benny Conway during a long gambling match @ Raytown Recreation when I was young, and wondered why this woman would bring him different shoes and socks every 4 or 5 hours, and he would regularly take breaks to freshen up and changed clothes once, back then gearing up was common and assumed also but that can't be confirmed so..

With today's advances in health and fitness I'd think Tony could have a few people responsible to make sure he had advantages for a man his body size, ie Runners compression socks to keep your legs fresh and your circulation at a premium, the correct foods for maximum energy like a Ultra Runner, even the correct vitamims like Alpha Brain, or hundreds of supplents for blood pressure, blood sugar, straight brain and body energy, and something to help him get his correct sleep recovery.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
With today's advances in health and fitness I'd think Tony could have a few people responsible to make sure he had advantages for a man his body size, ie Runners compression socks to keep your legs fresh and your circulation at a premium, the correct foods for maximum energy like a Ultra Runner, even the correct vitamims like Alpha Brain, or hundreds of supplents for blood pressure, blood sugar, straight brain and body energy, and something to help him get his correct sleep recovery.

Shades of Bobby Riggs!

• Haha
Reactions: lll

lfigueroa

Verified Member
You can ask Lou why he is so lacking in self confidence since he signs his name to his post after using Lfigueroa avatar. If he answers correctly, then the $hunnert.

I've been posting on interweb pool groups for 25 years and since Day 1 have always attached my name to what I write, so it's mostly habit and a way of demonstrating that I am willing to stand by what I post, as opposed to those who disguise their identity with an indecipherable handle.

It most certainly has nothing to do with self confidence, which I think most folks know I do not lack ;-)

Lou Figueroa

BRLongArm

Verified Member
If Tony lost 40 lbs, he would beat him with 9-8. Carrying all that weight is tough when you are expected to play championship pool for 12 hours. And I speak from experience. After 6 hours, my concentrations drops. After 9 hours, my body protests. Tony was actually limping around the table the last two hours on day 3. He has all the shots. He just doesn't take the profession seriously.

unoperro

Verified Member
If the game was 9 to 7 would Alex be even more cautious and Tony more frustrated with the games tempo ?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Tony had Alex on day 3. I do not remember the score when the infamous Alex break occurred. A good 30 mins. with Tony waiting and burning himself out practicing, and I said to myself; "oh no".
Then comes back Alex, but a new Alex, not the Alex that just hit the wall, but the energized bunny Alex. Well ok, but it tainted the event for me.

It was a flash back for me to the Color of Money match between Earl and Efren. Earl had Efren on the ropes with not many games left for Earl to win, Efren was done for, hit the wall, then came the break. Efren walked out with a little Asian old guy, and 15 minutes later appears an Efren that can do no wrong. I felt for Earl!
Whitey