Phoenix trip

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
My first trip to OKC 37 years ago I played a guy who ran all six holes. Cheapest golf game ever, no hickies.
So it's safe to say that it's not a common occurrence? I've been to a lot of rooms all over the country, and you've probably been to even more, but seeing a run-out 30 years ago still stands out.

I could've offered this guy 2:1 odds on doing it and I'm pretty sure he was both arrogant enough and delusional enough that he would've taken the bet. I think 10:1 would've still been stealing, at least with a player of his calibre--I wonder what the true odds would be for a good pro?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
So it's safe to say that it's not a common occurrence? I've been to a lot of rooms all over the country, and you've probably been to even more, but seeing a run-out 30 years ago still stands out.

I could've offered this guy 2:1 odds on doing it and I'm pretty sure he was both arrogant enough and delusional enough that he would've taken the bet. I think 10:1 would've still been stealing, at least with a player of his calibre--I wonder what the true odds would be for a good pro?

This a good question. Years ago in Co Spgs I watched Meachum run six his first game after he walked in and everybody quit and barred him...lol. Ancient 6x12 Brunswick snooker table. On a table like that maybe 15/1 for a guy like Alex. Maybe less.. Last time I was there it was on a crappy, smaller snooker table. Maybe 10 to 1 on that? I played for about 7 yrs, 3 days a week and only seen it a few times on that big table that I remember. One was JR Harris.
In a regular ring game situation, of course the odds of one happening is very, very high.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Here's a video of someone (don't know who) running all six holes.

Table looks like a 12-footer, but possibly with pockets a little generous. To my eyes, the shot on the #2 hole would've been rejected on most of the tables I've played on although it could just be that the cushions are rounded instead of pointed like an American 10-footer. I've played on both Riley and STAR 12-footers but not enough to say for sure, but I don't remember the UK style tables being that much more accepting. Of course, the video quality isn't that great either. Looks like it could have come from a security camera.

Not trying to minimize his accomplishment any. He has a nice celebration at the end and I'd say he deserves it.

I hope @jrhendy cycles back around and can share how many times he's run all the holes over the years. That would make for a good gauge. I think this could still make for a good proposition kind of like shooting for 25 or whatever against the One Pocket Ghost. Thinking of how Gabe Owens once made 60 in five racks at DCC and Alex has shot for 45-50, I wouldn't want to underestimate what a pro can do. 15:1 for someone like Alex sounds reasonable but could just as easily be giving up too much.

Could be a good practice routine.

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
As an addendum, player running six holes in the video is Sady Quezada. Missed that in the YouTube description earlier. Says he did it at BIG Willies Bar, 1717 South Main Street, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA

I've only seen 1 six and out on the tight Hardtimes Bellflower Brunswick Big Bertha table--about 15 years ago. The golf game was 7 handed. I ended up having to pay double for the run as Archie, the shooter, followed me. John Henderson is familiar with the table and Archie. It was a complete freak for it to happen as the corners were especially tight. The side out hole shot was a Z-bank!!! The owner at the time, Kenny, had a plaque made to honor Archie for the feat. Many, many greats have played on that table. Nobody is going 6 and out from the break within the D.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
I've only seen 1 six and out on the tight Hardtimes Bellflower Brunswick Big Bertha table--about 15 years ago. The golf game was 7 handed. I ended up having to pay double for the run as Archie, the shooter, followed me. John Henderson is familiar with the table and Archie. It was a complete freak for it to happen as the corners were especially tight. The side out hole shot was a Z-bank!!! The owner at the time, Kenny, had a plaque made to honor Archie for the feat. Many, many greats have played on that table. Nobody is going 6 and out from the break within the D.
I never played at either Hard Times but know the reputation of that table and the Golf games played there from others--so I believe you. Is the table in this video of SVB playing Golf the same one?

@crabbcatjohn hinted at this earlier, but the number of hands in a game would have a drastic effect on the odds of a run-out due to more congestion of the balls. As a proposition bet, the shooter would have the best possible scenario with no other balls for obstructions--unless you tweaked the proposition and added some, I guess. But I agree that in a "real" game with seven hands, especially on a tough table, the odds must be "astronomical" against even a top pro running out. Not impossible, but slim and difficult to calculate--like Strickland and the Million Dollar Challenge.

Last edited:

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
I don’t know if it counts to run the six on a 5x10 anniversary bowling alley table but I did it and winner starts the next game. On the second game I ran them again and missed the sixth hole.
After the first run out we couldn’t decide if anyone pays double for selling out. lol
Still counts in my book, especially since you almost got the "two-pack." The run-out I saw 30 years ago was on an easy table, too, but still impressed me. In fact, it could have been on a "bowling alley" table like yours. I was in college and still a newbie when it came to identifying tables, but it looked like a Gold Crown 1 the way I remember it.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Not having much experience with Golf, I'd love to pick you guys' brain--but know better than to ask you to give up your hard-won secrets.

I will ask this, though ...

How common is a run-out of all six holes? I saw a very good player do it once thirty years ago and was impressed. That man has since died but I ran into a room owner who knew him a couple years ago. When I mentioned the run-out he'd made, the owner shrugged it off and said "Ahh, we all can do that." Wish I had the presence of mind to challenge him on that for a proposition bet at the time. I think my money would've been pretty secure giving odds against him doing it as many times as he cared to try. And he was cocky enough to probably bite although nowhere near the shooter the other guy was.
It's never easy but if the ball always spots on the foot spot , it is doable. WE used to spot the object ball after you made the 3 hole on the head spot , when you were going for the 4 and 5 hole. That makes it about 5 times as hard imo. I never saw anyone run out playing it that way.
I did it the other way {once} lol
The best player I ever saw was in Phoenix. I saw a lot of great players there at other games but this guy was so much better than everyone else ,it was amazing.
The 3 and 6 hole are the hardest to make and the easiest to keep the opponent from making, usually, this guy would kick in behind his ball along a rail 3 4 or 5 rails and send it at the out hole ,the only place I think he couldn't make a shot from , was if you buried his ball in the wrong hole. Did I say he was amazing?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I've played a decent amount of golf many years ago and I don't ever remember a 6 and out. That's how we always played BillyJ, spot on head spot after 3 or 4 hole can't recall which at the moment...

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
@jazznpool , I just watched the first two parts of SVB playing golf at Hard Times and am amazed anyone ever ran more than one hole on that table let alone all of them. The corner pockets look like they're maybe 1/8" bigger than the balls!

Did they number the holes starting from the left corner pocket at the head of the table? (That's from the perspective of someone shooting out of the D at a ball on the 6 or 7 spot at the foot of the table.)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Regarding Golf on a 6'x12', The Congress Bowl/Billiards in North Miami had a table where the corner pockets look like they're maybe 1/6"-1/8" bigger than the balls!

No one ran 6 pockets on that table, and that includes, Bob "Bog Bob/Black Bart" Ogburn who was one of the Top 3 Golf players from the 60's - 90's in the country.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Regarding Golf on a 6'x12', The Congress Bowl/Billiards in North Miami had a table where the corner pockets look like they're maybe 1/6"-1/8" bigger than the balls!

No one ran 6 pockets on that table, and that includes, Bob "Bog Bob/Black Bart" Ogburn who was one of the Top 3 Golf players from the 60's - 90's in the country.
Who was 1 and 2 ?

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
@jazznpool , I just watched the first two parts of SVB playing golf at Hard Times and am amazed anyone ever ran more than one hole on that table let alone all of them. The corner pockets look like they're maybe 1/8" bigger than the balls!

Did they number the holes starting from the left corner pocket at the head of the table? (That's from the perspective of someone shooting out of the D at a ball on the 6 or 7 spot at the foot of the table.)
Out here the 1 hole is on the same side where the 3 ball would be placed in a snooker game. You go counter clockwise from there. There are some tables out here where the ball will not go in to the corner until it is forced in! I hate tables that are so shut down and take most shooting out of the game. I have also played golf in Colorado Springs where pool balls were used on the snooker table instead of snooker balls. Lol. Every locale I have been to have their unique rules. The Hardtimes Bellflower rules were great and very challenging. Hitting any ball but your own cost you the price of the game and a scratch and you come off the table.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I don’t know if it counts to run the six on a 5x10 anniversary bowling alley table but I did it and winner starts the next game. On the second game I ran them again and missed the sixth hole.
After the first run out we couldn’t decide if anyone pays double for selling out. lol
It's still very good shooting , but a snooker table is a whole different animal . Especially one that hasn't been set up to aid balls going in.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Out here the 1 hole is on the same side where the 3 ball would be placed in a snooker game. You go counter clockwise from there. There are some tables out here where the ball will not go in to the corner until it is forced in! I hate tables that are so shut down and take most shooting out of the game. I have also played golf in Colorado Springs where pool balls were used on the snooker table instead of snooker balls. Lol. Every locale I have been to have their unique rules. The Hardtimes Bellflower rules were great and very challenging. Hitting any ball but your own cost you the price of the game and a scratch and you come off the table.
That's what it looked like in the video of SVB playing golf at Hardtimes but I had to ask because that's opposite to what I remembered. I thought the 1-hole was the corner pocket above the 2-ball spot and the final 6-hole was the side pocket on the same side. But I've played so little Golf that I could be wrong. The games I played in or watched all took place in the south and midwest.

Does anyone know if the holes are numbered differently in California versus other parts of the country? Maybe someone who's played in the south or midwest can confirm how it's done there.

The video I posted of Sady Quezada running all six holes happened in Salt Lake City. He starts with the 1-hole on the 2-ball side--the same as what I remembered. I would count Utah as part of the west region same as California and Arizona. So now I'm really confused.

Last edited: