What does t rex need to beat the lion ?

unoperro

Verified Member
Here is something for you railbirds to consider. Does Tony need to go to 6 or Alex to 10-11-12?????
The breaks,picks,what is your take?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Tony will NEVER have enough to beat Alex because no matter how many times the rabbit wins, there is the turtle still playing his game. Let me give you an example. The big score 27-25. Tony stole the first game and broke AP’s serve. He is ahead 7-1 in balls. Does Alex swing at anything out of the strike zone? No. Does Tony. Yes once, yes twice, and yes the third time losing the game and the match. Tony cannot help himself, he has an itch he cannot scratch.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Unfortunately, I don't know what it would take for a talented Tony Chohan to beat a disciplined Alex Pagulayan in a long match of one pocket. I do know that over the past ten years I have changed my battle cry from, "Don't bet against Efren" to "Don't bet against the Filipinos."

unoperro

Verified Member
Tony will NEVER have enough to beat Alex because no matter how many times the rabbit wins, there is the turtle still playing his game. Let me give you an example. The big score 27-25. Tony stole the first game and broke AP’s serve. He is ahead 7-1 in balls. Does Alex swing at anything out of the strike zone? No. Does Tony. Yes once, yes twice, and yes the third time losing the game and the match. Tony cannot help himself, he has an itch he cannot scratch.
Tony is a big guy with a big strike zone. 😉

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Tony has an unbelievable talent and a great imagination…

Here are some things I noticed that would have bothered me had I been staking Tony….

(1) His break…
Why didn’t he move the cb out farther from the rail to avoid scratching
or switch to the other pocket sooner?

(2) Time taken…
Often during his runs he doesn’t take the time that is necessary to properly
analyze the route and the speed that’s needed to get out… or at least
get more balls… many times he cut his runs short… and lost the game…

(3) on ice…
There were several games lost that should have been iced, big leads blown…
enough games to have made the match much closer than 36/29….

(4) mood & attitude
The first two days were hard to watch… granted, Alex got the best of the rolls
and I know it’s tough to deal with them in real time, but in order to be a top contender
in anything you must have a mental make-up that can withstand any assaults and a
never/ever give up attitude…

Just my opinion of why he didn’t, and why he can’t win in a long race against Alex…

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Here is something for you railbirds to consider. Does Tony need to go to 6 or Alex to 10-11-12?????
The breaks,picks,what is your take?
i think more tony needs to go to 6 (which will never happen) than alex go 10/11/12
i say this because many more games than i thought came down to just a few balls and alex won most of them meaning to me alex was able to keep tony from getting 8 (or tony's ball running kept him from getting 8.......see point 2 from jeff above)
there were games that alex owed more than his 1 to start and still won the game meaning he got to 10 or 11 before tony got to 8
jmho
icbw

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Tony has an unbelievable talent and a great imagination…

Here are some things I noticed that would have bothered me had I been staking Tony….

(1) His break…
Why didn’t he move the cb out farther from the rail to avoid scratching
or switch to the other pocket sooner?

(2) Time taken…
Often during his runs he doesn’t take the time that is necessary to properly
analyze the route and the speed that’s needed to get out… or at least
get more balls… many times he cut his runs short… and lost the game…

(3) on ice…
There were several games lost that should have been iced, big leads blown…
enough games to have made the match much closer than 36/29….

(4) mood & attitude
The first two days were hard to watch… granted, Alex got the best of the rolls
and I know it’s tough to deal with them in real time, but in order to be a top contender
in anything you must have a mental make-up that can withstand any assaults and a
never/ever give up attitude…

Just my opinion of why he didn’t, and why he can’t win in a long race against Alex…
I would like to add to your list.

Every time I've watched Tony, He's consistently on his phone looking at messages or whatever. Tony, WTF, you're playing for $100,000 not 20 bucks. This is your job, treat it like your life is on the line. Tony is mentally weak and undisciplined. Until he gets some help in this area, he will never constantly win the big ones.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The not smoking at home part probably didn't help him either. Changed the Dynamics of the whole home field advantage...He's also a flow player. Hard to stay in the game when you take your mind off it by taking a break every game and can't chain smoke. Has too many itches he can't scratch. Head case.

If you watch the Alex interview where they ask him about Tony/Svb...Alex constantly says " if Tony is healthy"
To me this means Alex knows he will eventually outlast him through mind and body...
Alex knows he is declining himself and is using healthy eating options to try to stay on top of the game. Things like managing your blood sugar and wearing noise canceling headphones on break help unclutter your mind during a long session while on break can make the difference and it did

Of course the huge disparity of bad rolls against Tony the first two days didn't help....😆

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
Sometimes certain people just have your number. I've watched a couple of Tony's matches and at times he seems there are other places he would rather be. It's hard to beat the world's best with that approach.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It would be interesting to see the number or games (if any) where the 9-8 spot came into play.
It's possible that the 9-8 spot was actually a psychological advantage for Alex.
Tony might have been more into the game if they played even.
I agree with Jeff's comments. And Tony is well known for not always being able to keep his mind in the game and in his concentration. So in a long set Tony is likely to be at a disadvantage. Alex likely realizes that.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Tony just needs to play like he did in the middle of day three for 4 days straight. He had alex off his game and was comfotably winning. I do not know if tony has the stamina and force of will to do it but I love to watch him try. There is no better match up to watch as I can not htink of another duo that can continuously put there opponent in trouble and get out of traps and execute when needed. All I can say is I hope they continue to match up and figure out a way to keep the backers putting up

• Love
Reactions: lll

Thecoats

Well-Known-Member
From
Kansas City, MO
I think Tony gets a bad rap regarding heart and "want to" just because he is casual in appearance doesn't mean he isn't trying his hardest. Everyone has a different style and his has always been very casual, it doesn't come up when he wins but his approach is the same. I just think Alex is that little bit better. I would think Tony could hang tough getting 10-7 or even. 9-7. Having gambled at one pocket for 30 years, I have seen the difference between going to 7 versus 8 be extremely big.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think Tony gets a bad rap regarding heart and "want to" just because he is casual in appearance doesn't mean he isn't trying his hardest. Everyone has a different style and his has always been very casual, it doesn't come up when he wins but his approach is the same. I just think Alex is that little bit better. I would think Tony could hang tough getting 10-7 or even. 9-7. Having gambled at one pocket for 30 years, I have seen the difference between going to 7 versus 8 be extremely big.
Alex kept tony getting to 8
better than tony kept alex getting to 9
there were alot of games (i didnt see all of them)
that came down to a few balls
tony going to 7 may have won some of them
but
alex going to 8
might have won them too
jmho

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Play with a shot clock. Tony plays best when he plays fast. Alex stops and looks at every ball on the table. Slow play ruins Tony's flow. In day two or three when Tony made a comeback, Alex was playing way faster than he did on day one and four.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Strictly my opinion, but the first day of the match I watched one game and texted a friend:

After just one game
irregardless of the score
Alex is stealing
Two different class of players

Lou Figueroa

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Fundementaly saying that tony doesnt have heart because he could not beat alex is kinda like saying niagra falls has no water next to the ocean. Alex like no other(maybe dennis ) has the abylity to beat a bad game better than any I have seen

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Strictly my opinion, but the first day of the match I watched one game and texted a friend:

After just one game
irregardless of the score
Alex is stealing
Two different class of players

Lou Figueroa
Why didnt you post it before we knew the ending?
and why post it now?
asking for a friend

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Play with a shot clock. Tony plays best when he plays fast. Alex stops and looks at every ball on the table. Slow play ruins Tony's flow. In day two or three when Tony made a comeback, Alex was playing way faster than he did on day one and four.
I think that was because Tony realized if he took a smoke break after almost every game it was getting under Alex's skin and threw him off. Alex took the opportunity finally to turn it around on him and when Tony came back in Alex was a no show for a good 40 more minutes. That was on day 3 after tony had won like 6 out of 8 games. From that point on it was pretty much Alex winning about 2 out of every 3 games for the duration.