SENIORS ONE POCKET BOGIES BILLIARDS HOUSTON- Sep 29 – Oct 2, 2022

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
If this is confusing, it's time to take up, 'Cornhole.'

RULE: If at the end of a player's inning all the remaining balls are in the "kitchen" (i.e., behind the head string), the ball closest to the head rail will be spotted.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Its not really confusing. Most of the problems in our tournament came with sleeping it when it happens.
Your words, Not mine. "A few years ago we implemented the Grady rule and it ended up being more confusing than anything else. We aren't planning on using it this time either."

You all should plan on doing something.

For the 'Average' Senior or any average 1 pocket player, jamming balls in a corner pocket is not, Interesting, Creative or helpful to either player when a shot finally appears, and you can't snap it off!

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
For me, that TV table is the best playing table I have witnessed. I love how active the rails were around the pocket. Whoever restored that table, my hats off to you!
Varner played a double cross side bank from about 2 diamonds out, and granted he had to play it close to opponent's hole instead of playing the natural angle, but he knew how the table played, and made it. But other than that the other banks played well, and the table rolled accurate.
Very nice table to watch, and for the players to play on!
Does anyone know who did the table and what cushions they used? They should get some props.

mr3c, the senior tournament was the Varner show, at least for our on line viewers, and in watching him and how patiently he plays when of course he could go offensive, I just had to think of the story of how he played Artie knowing he could not win, but knowing that learning the game was more important. That patience I felt he learned from Artie, and yes he got into the finals for that reason, IMO!
Whitey

Straightback banks or other shots rolled down the left rail at pocket speed drifted in toward the long rail.

Reactions: lll

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I understand Nick's nickname is, 'Kentucky Colonel.' When Artie got done with him, he was demoted to, 'Private Benjamín.'

I have a friend who is good friends with Nick and when told the story circulating about how he couldn't quit because he was learning so much playing Artie, Nick just burst out laughing.

Needless to say, his version of what actually happen is quite different.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have a friend who is good friends with Nick and when told the story circulating about how he couldn't quit because he was learning so much playing Artie, Nick just burst out laughing.

Lou Figueroa
That's what happens when, 'Champions' get out smarted by Great Hustlers! When it got posted on FB, He Never denied it!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Lou Figueroa
would you share telling us his version please?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Your words, Not mine. "A few years ago we implemented the Grady rule and it ended up being more confusing than anything else. We aren't planning on using it this time either."

You all should plan on doing something.

For the 'Average' Senior or any average 1 pocket player, jamming balls in a corner pocket is not, Interesting, Creative or helpful to either player when a shot finally appears, and you can't snap it off!
Its even tougher to get all us old geezers to play by new rules... 😆 so far we have our scheduling spread out enough enough where it doesn't factor in much. But If a bracket gets way behind friendly warnings will given and I'll go from there. I'm talking about the upcoming Southaven tournament of course

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I like playing by standard rules, with one exception, the taking of an intentional (there are solutions to cure this), I do not mind playing an up table game, but I will not play someone that intentionally pushes balls up table, to me that is not wanting to shoot at your hole, and how beginners play, for what they really only know is to knock balls away from the opponent's pocket. But how to cure not shooting at their hole, then you have to bring balls back down from up table, and spot them. Granted, shooting at your you can leave a return shot / bank to score, but mastering pocket speed makes that less possible

What I have noticed is when 3 balls have purposely been sent up table (past center table) then the stack continues to deteriorate from there.

What is confusing about the Grady rule is that the players forget to bring a ball back down, and then what do you do when once realized, and by that time there maybe more than 4 balls up table. But I would assume that forgotten balls are spotted after each player has had an inning.

I believe the race to 4 is ok for the players, for they are there to play. Spectators it can be too long when they are not shooting at their hole. Maybe the solution is getting started earlier on the opening day.

Great Event ! Thanks to those that make it possible !
Whitey

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Without hearing it firsthand from Nick I don't feel comfortable speaking for him.

Let's just say that, IMO, caution should be exercised when guys from one geographical area mythologize their players. There's a reason it's called "the Windy City" besides tornadoes.

Lou Figueroa

C Horan

This was a fun tournament to watch. All these seniors who know each other from back when they were in their prime. Most impressed with Mark Gregory, who had not been playing for many years, and Ronnie Wiseman who played like a man among boys and mowed through the field for the win.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This was a fun tournament to watch. All these seniors who know each other from back when they were in their prime. Most impressed with Mark Gregory, who had not been playing for many years, and Ronnie Wiseman who played like a man among boys and mowed through the field for the win.
Those 2 and Nick, Gabby, Pilot were the Favs going in.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Without hearing it firsthand from Nick I don't feel comfortable speaking for him.

Let's just say that, IMO, caution should be exercised when guys from one geographical area mythologize their players. There's a reason it's called "the Windy City" besides tornadoes.

Lou Figueroa
Tom Karabotsos, (nice kid, light weight square gambler) was betting by the game with Nick's dad. He won $700 when Nick's Dad quit betting! That's when the conversation started between Nick and his Father.

In Chicago, the % of tornados are far less than most areas where they are prevalent.

In 1 pocket, 3 Cushion, Banks and in Many instances 9 ball, the players in Chicago had a BIG Winning wind behind to blow 'Road players' out of town Broke!

BTW, YOU speak about Chicago/Chicago players without Ever having any 'First hand' info!! Meaning You would have to be in Chicago, excluding the last 18 years I've been in FL. I don't remember YOU Ever in action in the, 'Windy City!' You may have creeped up to Chris's looking for a $20 game, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Ronnie, a former tour player and roddie, now living in Vegas probably plays more than the rest of us. Back in the day when I lived in the Detroit area trying to learn 1P, Ronnie was hosting Alex and the word was Ronnie knew 1P very well and that was over 30 years ago. He was my favorate to win. Unfortunately, he was my first match o_O

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ronnie was the the baby having just turned 65 i believe.....😂

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Lou Figueroa

Lou Figueroa
lou
if you are uncomfortable to share what was told to you
why did you make the innuendo in the first place?