SENIORS ONE POCKET BOGIES BILLIARDS HOUSTON- Sep 29 – Oct 2, 2022

Kybanks

Verified Member
I've played Nick quite a bit of 1 hole. The last time I played him, we played a race to 3 and it took 6 hours. 3 out of the 4 games ended up in the wedge cause I was ahead and he lost his cool with me for it. I havent played him since.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Congrats to ronnie and big kudos to nick for second place after playing for so many hours on little sleep

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've played Nick quite a bit of 1 hole. The last time I played him, we played a race to 3 and it took 6 hours. 3 out of the 4 games ended up in the wedge cause I was ahead and he lost his cool with me for it. I havent played him since.
The guy that the wedge is attributed to didn't like it lol.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
For me, that TV table is the best playing table I have witnessed. I love how active the rails were around the pocket. Whoever restored that table, my hats off to you!
Varner played a double cross side bank from about 2 diamonds out, and granted he had to play it close to opponent's hole instead of playing the natural angle, but he knew how the table played, and made it. But other than that the other banks played well, and the table rolled accurate.
Very nice table to watch, and for the players to play on!
Does anyone know who did the table and what cushions they used? They should get some props.

mr3c, the senior tournament was the Varner show, at least for our on line viewers, and in watching him and how patiently he plays when of course he could go offensive, I just had to think of the story of how he played Artie knowing he could not win, but knowing that learning the game was more important. That patience I felt he learned from Artie, and yes he got into the finals for that reason, IMO!
Whitey

Last edited:

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
For me, that TV table is the best playing table I have witnessed. I love how active the rails were around the pocket. Whoever restored that table, my hats off to you!
Varner played a double cross side bank from about 2 diamonds out, and granted he had to play it close to opponent's hole instead of playing the natural angle, but he knew how the table played, and made it. But other than that the other banks played well, and the table rolled accurate.
Very nice table to watch, and for the players to play on!
Does anyone know who did the table and what cushions they used? They should get some props.

mr3c, the senior tournament was the Varner show, at least for our on line viewers, and in watching him and how patiently he plays when of course he could go offensive, I just had to think of the story of how he played Artie knowing he could not win, but knowing that learning the game was more important. That patience I felt he learned from Artie, and yes he got into the finals for that reason, IMO!
Whitey
All the gcs at bogies are having the rails redone, they sent a few sets with mark to begin on

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
IMPO, the Only thing the, 'Varner show' did for 1 pocket/Senior 1 pocket especially and for the viewers is to, DEMAND 'Shot Clocks' & 'The Grady Rule' in tournament play! Especially in any form of a 'Senior' event!

BTW, Nick Never learned any version of, 'The Wedge' from playing Artie! I can guarantee that. Artie played 2,3,4 moves ahead, not to just jam balls up into your opponents up table opposite corner pocket.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I never wanted to imply that Artie ever promoted the wedge, just the patience of play.
I have purposely studied OP matches to when the stack play breaks down, and Grady is correct after about 3 balls up table then the stack can break down, but I do not believe the Grady rule has that much effect as I have noticed. What is more effective is when 3 balls are past the center of the table, then when a 4th ball is past the center of the table the closest ball to the head rail is spotted.

Of course this is OP.org so they can be no pro-active suggestions like this for it veers away from the standard.

I believe on a late winner side match the players were not shooting towards their hole, this is a huge problem to solve, but the 4 ball rule past the center of the table would help this. I believe Cliff calls it; "the players are not giving it up". The commentators even stated; "the players are not shooting at their hole".

But the bottom line is if the players were happy with the format, for they got to play a lot of OP with a race to 4. They are the ones there, we are just spectators.
Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My first match started around 9 and ended a little before ‘3AM 😱
Not because of a wedge game but because my opponent played great defense and i dont run 8 and out often
So when i got to 6 it still took 45 minutes to get to 8
I think for tournament play
An option to keep the times manageable would be to at say 2 hours they play to 5 to win
At 4 hours whoever is ahead wins
This doesnt change the standard way to play
Although at 3 1/2 hour the guy winning might start to stall

Since most of us dont play by the Grady rule
It would take a few games to remember that a ball is going to spot
And not leave an easy shot
Jmho
Icbw

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
A few years ago we implemented the Grady rule and it ended up being more confusing than anything else. We aren't planning on using it this time either.