The Hague op.o MOT Tournament Thread

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave shot well and had me constantly in trouble. In thinking about it afterwards I often got out of his trouble ok, but then I made up for it by getting into my own troubles lol. Anyway, he earned the advance to the final round of 16.

I started out playing my first match on the tv table and I was very uncomfortable and I’m sure it showed. I got drilled.

Apparently I regrouped enough to win my next two matches — shooting better but definitely also taking advantage of players not so experienced at One Pocket. Then I ran out gas against my fellow countryman Dave G.
Thanks, Steve. Sorry

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Dave shot well and had me constantly in trouble. In thinking about it afterwards I often got out of his trouble ok, but then I made up for it by getting into my own troubles lol. Anyway, he earned the advance to the final round of 16.

I started out playing my first match on the tv table and I was very uncomfortable and I’m sure it showed. I got drilled.

Apparently I regrouped enough to win my next two matches — shooting better but definitely also taking advantage of players not so experienced at One Pocket. Then I ran out gas against my fellow countryman Dave G.
Man I have been watching. Those guys shoot straight. They make enough basic shots to go along with their straight shooting to make up for what they dont know.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That tight TV table seems to play slow. I saw a lot of shots come up very short on pocket speed.
…and I actually thought it played a little faster than the other tables. But the regular Sam tables had generous pockets and not much shelf depth, so they swallow soft shots that get close.

No matter; it is a super fun place to play with the most welcoming players you could imagine! You would have a great time and would be in action the entire time, since they all really want to play more experienced One Pocket players outside their circle. It’s completely different from going in to a strange poolroom in the states, where the general welcome to a stranger is generally paranoia and greed lol.

I only wish I could play a little better basic pool — aside from 1P or banking knowledge. They generally all have very good straight shooting mechanics; they just lack the depth of banking and 1P experience to a degree. It’s going to come, however, so get here soon lol.

I should mention they also have a FULL bar, and I am able to get a cappuccino with Bailey’s — a wonderful combination 👍😀

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
That tight TV table seems to play slow. I saw a lot of shots come up very short on pocket speed.
Good morning. Unlike Steve, I thought the TV table played slower. I think it had to do with the time of day some, too. My first set on the table seemed to play considerably slower after the first game. Oh well, it's that chocolate and vanilla thing (but it played slower 😂🤣). It was very warm and sticky as a window or two were open...no a/c that I could tell.

Some of that feeling of playing slower could be due to my stroke changing due to my fear of the pockets. I started to steer the ball a little more instead of stroking the ball. I am mental case.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Being the old man I have become, its 9pm. The cat is at my legs, the dog is at my head and the electric blanket is ON.
I’ll be sure and turn on the stream at my first pee break. Looks like Dave is headed for his second MOT first place finish.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
…and I actually thought it played a little faster than the other tables. But the regular Sam tables had generous pockets and not much shelf depth, so they swallow soft shots that get close.

No matter; it is a super fun place to play with the most welcoming players you could imagine! You would have a great time and would be in action the entire time, since they all really want to play more experienced One Pocket players outside their circle. It’s completely different from going in to a strange poolroom in the states, where the general welcome to a stranger is generally paranoia and greed lol.

I only wish I could play a little better basic pool — aside from 1P or banking knowledge. They generally all have very good straight shooting mechanics; they just lack the depth of banking and 1P experience to a degree. It’s going to come, however, so get here soon lol.

I should mention they also have a FULL bar, and I am able to get a cappuccino with Bailey’s — a wonderful combination 👍😀
Cappuccino with Bailey’s, I’m in next year. All I need to know is when and I’ll book my vacation😁

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Funny first game — about an hour before anyone made a ball they got to keep — yet the balls never went up table! Just jockeying down back and forth from side to side with most of the pile still in place. In the booth we were chuckling if it went from there to a drawn out up table game, it might have set back One pocket in Europe for a few years 🤣🤣

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
What I've gleamed from watching this event is, the European players have very good fundamentals and correct cue techniques. They play a blend of, 'Old School' knowledge with some pretty straight shooting along with the ability to move the CB with ease. They have patience when needed and looks like they know their own limitations when it comes to execution.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nice commentary by steve and i didnt catch the name of his european player in the booth with him
steve's colleague in the booth had a great command of english
he surpised me with several of his expressions...he knew a lefty we call a southpaw for example
also learned a new one from him
the europeans say "chinese snooker"
when you have some one jacked up over a ball
for them it seems it ok to say that

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
nice commentary by steve and i didnt catch the name of his european player in the booth with him
steve's colleague in the booth had a great command of english
he surpised me with several of his expressions...he knew a lefty we call a southpaw for example
also learned a new one from him
the europeans say "chinese snooker"
when you have some one jacked up over a ball
for them it seems it ok to say that

I dont know if Steve has a career as a commentator but he might consider COMEDY. Good job Steve. I was impressed with the banter.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

Found it on YT and watched the final match of the Day. Good level of play, I could see
where the "Club" foundation most have over there is beneficial to the sport. Shame we can't
get that idea to catch on here.
WOW, that took awhile. chuckle. They use the "Grady" rule about the 5th ball in the kitchen
and spotting the one nearest to the line. Appears they also realize that if they were to end-up
in an up table game it may last the weekend. Smart on their part, eh. chuckle.

hank

Reactions: lll

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
OMG I'm in the final four. It's so crazy, the Euros play so tough, but some don't know how to kick out of trouble. The second guy I faced after I kicked 3/4 rails to get out of trouble a couple time and a soft masse around the top of the stack off the side rail, end rail then under the ball near his hole he said while smiling: "they let you in this tournament?" 😂🤣😂 then he saw me shoot and said nevermind lol.

Everyone I have played or talked to are great, as I said before they would fit right in with our group.

To prove Alex coughed up the goods regarding a homemade pasta dinner here a pic. It was delicious. Thanks again, Alex.

received_614238450111468.jpeg

This is Mambo Fats (Alain) from Belgium and me getting a well earned gelato with Di. So good.

Attachments

• received_663585081407267.jpeg
    received_663585081407267.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 8